PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still want Kyle Wilson over McCourty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jets fans have trashed Pats drafts because they deserve to be trashed, does the McCourty pick change that?

Wilson isn't playing because he has Revis and Cromartie ahead of him, do you think McCourty would be starting if Revis and Cromartie were playing on the Pats? The only reason McCourty is playing is because Bodden got hurt, just as is the case with Woodhead playing instead of Taylor and Faulk.

Incorrect, once again.

While it's obviously too early to make any pronouncements with respect to Wilson, you're not exactly helping in his defense. Further, Jets fans may want to reserve their ridicule for other teams' drafts as you all have duds on your resume as well.

Last edited:
never liked Wilson..... I am in favor of Boise St. but I never liked Wilson.

We got the better CB

Wilson also has Cromartie and Revis on the island...... Wilson just is not good.

McCourty is making plays w/ a lesser quality CB corps. And a weaker secondary. We cannot give pressure like the JEST team.

McCourty has impressed me since the pre-season...... but we can't count that/:rolleyes:

I say BS... preseason can mean a lot:D He caught my eye then and he has not disappointed since. :)

Last edited:
Does that change the spin from some of the Pat homers here that are looking for justice in the wake of the Patriot drafting criticism in recent years, while at the same time want to rush to judgement on two players selected in this past year's draft, having only played 6 games in their NFL careers, and in completely different situations with the talent around them and the defenses they play on.

Your claim was that the reason Wilson's playing time was diminishing was the return of a healthy Revis. That doesn't pass muster because it doesn't explain why Drew Coleman is rising as well vis a vis Wilson.

Wilson has struggled while McCourty has, given the circumstances, acquitted himself well. As of right now, I don't think it's arguable that McCourty was the better pick. Wilson may very well straighten himself out; I certainly hope to see that happen with Darius Butler.

6 games into their rookie seasons, and you're coming out with this? :bricks:

actually 9 games............... or is it 10?:confused:

I count the pre-season and he impressed me ever since then.:eek:

Last edited:
At least somebody gets it.

You God DAMN troll... go AWAY! Nothing better to do w/ life?:confused:

troll_2.jpg

you guys have the audacity to snoop on boards that don't concern you...:mad:

McCourty has his biggest test of the year (by far) this Sunday so we shall see but so far it looks as if the Patriots made out really well.

Anyway I get a hoot out of those guys who say things like "Before the draft I wanted the Patriots to pick Seymour / Mankins / Mayo / McCourty all along". Ya right.

Another big hoot for me is all the post-draft outrage by the draftnics who thought that the Patriots screwed up...as if their dime store draft guides are more accurate than BB's staff. Ha.

Can someone dig up what Borges or Felger said after the McCourty pick? I am sure it is some sourpuss crap about wasting a first round pick on a special teamer...

Last edited:
I remember when Pennington was arguably better than Brady in 2002.

I remember when Pennington was arguably better than Brady in 2002.

Or when D.Robertson was the second coming of Warren Sapp.

Good to see that JetFan19 is representing the wider populous of idiots that make up the Jets fan base in true fashion.

Revis is back healthy, kind of makes sense that Wilson's role would be reduced.

And since Pat fans seem to be oogling over themselves for the Pats taking McCourty over Wilson, it sure doesn't seem McCourty is helping with that pathetic Pats passing defense.

Pats fans can't be that dumb?

McCourty is helping tremendously. And his role is increasing, as is the proficiency of the Pats defense. But the real key for both the individual player, and the defense, is how they will be playing in December and January, not so much now.

The key difference between the two players at this point would be the coaching they are receiving. I can't believe the an NFL coach would make pointed criticisms of a rookie player to the press. That's not about style, its about emotional intelligence.

Jets fans have trashed Pats drafts because they deserve to be trashed, does the McCourty pick change that?

Wilson isn't playing because he has Revis and Cromartie ahead of him, do you think McCourty would be starting if Revis and Cromartie were playing on the Pats? The only reason McCourty is playing is because Bodden got hurt, just as is the case with Woodhead playing instead of Taylor and Faulk.

RayRay (btw, at least I man up and use the same screen name on other teams boards),

So because Revis and Cromartie are ahead of Wilson, it is logical to drop him behind Coleman and Lowrey? Wilson is fifth on the depth chart right now. If Cromartie and Revis were out, Coleman and Lowrey would start. Wilson didn't play a down vs. Denver and was called out by the coach this week. If Revis and Cromartie were on this team, McCourty may not start but he wouldn't be 5th string either.

McCourty is playing because is a good player. Bodden has no bearing on that. If Bodden was healthy, McCourty would still be playing LCB opposite Bodden. If Bodden was healthy, Kyle Arrington wouldn't be starting right now. Bodden has no bearing on McCourty's playing time.

The last two drafts from the Pats have been good. The 2010 draft may end up being an incredible draft class. Hernandez is a candidate for rookie of the year. Gronkowski has been a great all purpose TE. Deadrick has gotten two starts and 2 sacks as a seventh round pick. Cunningham is starting to be a strong pass rusher. McCourty has been solid after starting out up and down. Mesko has a booming punt. Spikes has played well at ILB.

The Pats poor drafting is overrated. They had several bad years (2006 esppecially), but so have the Jets and every other team. This year's Jets' class could be as bad or worse than any of the Pats' draft classes under Belichick if you take out the trades for veterans (since most Pats haters do the same with the Pats' 2007 class where they got Moss and Welker for high draft picks). At this rate the only good pick is the Terminator. The Jets still have Gholston who is lucky to be drafted in the same draft class of JaMarcus Russell or he might be considered one of the worst draft busts in league history (Funny, Mike Mamula to this day gets more crap for being a huge draft bust but he was picked one pick later in his draft than Gholston and at least had 209 tackles and 31.5 sacks for his career).

Revis is back healthy, kind of makes sense that Wilson's role would be reduced.

And since Pat fans seem to be oogling over themselves for the Pats taking McCourty over Wilson, it sure doesn't seem McCourty is helping with that pathetic Pats passing defense.

Pats fans can't be that dumb?

Last time I checked there are 11 guys on the field on defense. Just because the Pats pass defense has given up a lot of yards doesn't mean it is McCourty's fault. In fact, opposing teams tend to throw in the other direction more especially when Bulter was still starting. You put the 2009 Revis on a really bad pass defense and he doesn't do a lot to make them good.

The numbers are skewed a bit like last week. The Chargers got over 200 yards in the fourth quarter last week when the Pats took the foot off the gas on defense protecting a 17 point lead. It was a bad mistake that almost cost them, but the first three quarters, Rivers wasn't all that effective.

Again, so Revis returning made Wilson fifth on the CB depth chart? They don't need Wilson to start so they just bench him for an entire game for Coleman and Lowery?

Who wanted Wilson!?!?!

No one even wanted McCourty.

99% of this board ran to the ledge because the Pats took a corner!

I liked the McCourty pick. Definitely considered him a 1st round talent in this year's draft but I thought he was a 'luxury' pick, considering our issues at OLB. Had no idea Bodden was going to go down with injury. In hindsight, the McCourty pick saved the Pats defense this year. How terrible would we have looked with an unprepared Butler and Wilhite at the corners? Arrington has also been an unexpected contributor.

Really things could be a LOT worse than McCourty+Arrington. Thankfully BB's in 'seeing eye' fashion, decided to grab McCourty even though it didn't appear to be an obvious need pick at the time.

Last edited:
wilson doesn't turn his head to find the ball. this can be coached and learned after time and repetition. i see the raw athleticism with him where he can run with anyone and has very fluid hips. he'll develop eventually.

anyone judging his career 6 games in is ******ed and doesn't know **** about football. this guy is playing man coverage against some great receivers in his rookie year in the most complex defense in the league. god forbid he struggle.

wilson doesn't turn his head to find the ball. this can be coached and learned after time and repetition. i see the raw athleticism with him where he can run with anyone and has very fluid hips. he'll develop eventually.

anyone judging his career 6 games in is ******ed and doesn't know **** about football. this guy is playing man coverage against some great receivers in his rookie year in the most complex defense in the league. god forbid he struggle.

I agree, 6 games is way too early to pass judgment on anyone. But it's still not as stupid as someone like JetFan19 claiming Wilson's role was reduced only because Revis came back despite dropping way down the depth chart to 5th. There's nothing wrong with a rookie corner struggling. The inability to even admit a basic fact though, well there's a lot wrong with that.

And if you think 6 games is way too early, imagine how we felt when we got all sorts of crap from Jets fans for screwing up by taking McCourty instead of Wilson after the draft. Now that is way too early.

I like Wilson a lot and I think he could be a solid nickel eventually. I think he was thrown into the fire because of the Revis situation and he may be a bit shell-shocked by it. But he's young and has a ton of talent. I wouldn't trade him for our guy though.

RayRay (btw, at least I man up and use the same screen name on other teams boards),

So because Revis and Cromartie are ahead of Wilson, it is logical to drop him behind Coleman and Lowrey? Wilson is fifth on the depth chart right now. If Cromartie and Revis were out, Coleman and Lowrey would start. Wilson didn't play a down vs. Denver and was called out by the coach this week. If Revis and Cromartie were on this team, McCourty may not start but he wouldn't be 5th string either.

McCourty is playing because is a good player. Bodden has no bearing on that. If Bodden was healthy, McCourty would still be playing LCB opposite Bodden. If Bodden was healthy, Kyle Arrington wouldn't be starting right now. Bodden has no bearing on McCourty's playing time.

The last two drafts from the Pats have been good. The 2010 draft may end up being an incredible draft class. Hernandez is a candidate for rookie of the year. Gronkowski has been a great all purpose TE. Deadrick has gotten two starts and 2 sacks as a seventh round pick. Cunningham is starting to be a strong pass rusher. McCourty has been solid after starting out up and down. Mesko has a booming punt. Spikes has played well at ILB.

The Pats poor drafting is overrated. They had several bad years (2006 esppecially), but so have the Jets and every other team. This year's Jets' class could be as bad or worse than any of the Pats' draft classes under Belichick if you take out the trades for veterans (since most Pats haters do the same with the Pats' 2007 class where they got Moss and Welker for high draft picks). At this rate the only good pick is the Terminator. The Jets still have Gholston who is lucky to be drafted in the same draft class of JaMarcus Russell or he might be considered one of the worst draft busts in league history (Funny, Mike Mamula to this day gets more crap for being a huge draft bust but he was picked one pick later in his draft than Gholston and at least had 209 tackles and 31.5 sacks for his career).

McCourty is playing because the Pats have nothing better

The Pats are horrible in pass defense, ranking 30th in the league

McCourty and Wilson have had their share of rookie growing pains, both have made some plays.

McCourty continues to start because he has to, and has probably been able to settle in with the forced playing time.

Wilson has played several different roles, moving to the starting line-up, nickelback, dimeback, in a multitude of ways due to Revis holdout in training camp, and then his hamstring injury in the first several weeks, he's never and opportunity to settle into a role. Fortunately, for the Jets, and for Wilson, he can take a step back and settle into a role with a healthy Revis back, Cromartie playing like a #1 CB, and Drew Coleman having a career year, helps to have talent and depth.

The Pats DO have a poor draft history, McCourty doesn't change that, but he can at least help to change that reputation for the future, but that remains to be seen.

It seems Pats fans are more interested in justifying negative banter about the Pats draft history, and constantly comparing the picks the Pats make with the Jets draft picks.

Gholston has been a monumental bust, but wasn't selected under the Jets current regime. Sure, the Jets have one, we can list many for the Pats.

The Jets drafts' other than Gholston have been VERY successful, the core of their team are because of their draft decisions, Sanchez, Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller, Greene, Cotchery, to name several, and to make an assessment on this past year's draft at this point, is beyond moronic.

Why are Pats fans so insecure, considering their success? Oh yeah, that has been tainted as well...

Last edited:
McCourty is playing because the Pats have nothing better

The Pats are horrible in pass defense, ranking 30th in the league

McCourty and Wilson have had their share of rookie growing pains, both have made some plays.

McCourty continues to start because he has to, and has probably been able to settle in with the forced playing time.

Wilson has played several different roles, moving to the starting line-up, nickelback, dimeback, in a multitude of ways due to Revis holdout in training camp, and then his hamstring injury in the first several weeks, he's never and opportunity to settle into a role. Fortunately, for the Jets, and for Wilson, he can take a step back and settle into a role with a healthy Revis back, Cromartie playing like a #1 CB, and Drew Coleman having a career year, helps to have talent and depth.

The Pats DO have a poor draft history, McCourty doesn't change that, but he can at least help to change that reputation for the future, but that remains to be seen.

It seems Pats fans are more interested in justifying negative banter about the Pats draft history, and constantly comparing the picks the Pats make with the Jets draft picks.

Gholston has been a monumental bust, but wasn't selected under the Jets current regime. Sure, the Jets have one, we can list many for the Pats.

The Jets drafts' other than Gholston have been VERY successful, the core of their team are because of their draft decisions, Sanchez, Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller, Greene, Cotchery, to name several, and to make an assessment on this past year's draft at this point, is beyond moronic.

Why are Pats fans so insecure, considering their success? Oh yeah, that has been tainted as well...
images.jpg

I agree, 6 games is way too early to pass judgment on anyone. But it's still not as stupid as someone like JetFan19 claiming Wilson's role was reduced only because Revis came back despite dropping way down the depth chart to 5th. There's nothing wrong with a rookie corner struggling. The inability to even admit a basic fact though, well there's a lot wrong with that.

And if you think 6 games is way too early, imagine how we felt when we got all sorts of crap from Jets fans for screwing up by taking McCourty instead of Wilson after the draft. Now that is way too early.

I like Wilson a lot and I think he could be a solid nickel eventually. I think he was thrown into the fire because of the Revis situation and he may be a bit shell-shocked by it. But he's young and has a ton of talent. I wouldn't trade him for our guy though.

It's really not hard to figure out.

Revis is out, Wilson plays more, with Revis back, Wilson doesn't need to play as much.

Not sure where some of you got the "5th cornerback role" from, Wilson is playing behind Coleman, who is now playing #3, and deserves to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back