PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still want Kyle Wilson over McCourty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestQB

On the Roster
Reaction score
Kyle Wilson falling out of favor with Rex Ryan as Jets rookie piles up the pass interference flags

Kyle Wilson falling out of favor with Rex Ryan as Jets rookie piles up the pass interference flags

The continued regression of Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson has not affected the rookie's confidence, but coach Rex Ryan said the first-round pick's role is "shrinking."

Ryan highlighted Wilson's technique in following the ball, looking back when he needs to, as the major flaw to date. Wilson has been flagged for several pass interference penalties and beaten for touchdowns, and insisted he is working on improving.

For those of you that wanted Kyle Wilson, this should really put a fork in that argument. This should leave no question that the Patriots drafted the right corner. Not that DM hasn't had issues with getting PI penalties or not turning his head, DM usually doesn't make the same mistakes twice.

Last edited:
I'll tell you in a couple of years.

As is the case with Darius Butler, its too early to tell.

Who wanted him anyways? He has a better defense around him and still gets beat around.

I'm blaming you if McCourty gets injured in the next game:mad:

I despise these sort of threads, we are only 6 games into the season and some guy has to go and start suggesting that Wilson is a bust or something.

Personally I never wanted the Patriots to take Kyle Wilson but its just ridiculous to suggest he is a bust this early in the season and his rookie season at that.

Last edited:
I definitely think it's too early to label someone a bust (though I do think McCourty will be much better long-term).

What I think is interesting is that Rex would babble on about a rookie player like that, going into detail on his faults. Doesn't sound like the "player's coach" image we keep hearing about, though it is consistent with the blabbermouth mage.

Wilson is a slot corner McCourty is a out side cb different players. We already had slot corners we needed an outside corner. Wilson's skill set was already on the roster.

How in the hell do you say anything about someone's career 6 games in? This is why you people become obsessed and have cults hating these guys, you all get so built up over so little. So if he starts to struggle, he'll become the new scape goat. That's just how it is here. You suck or you're great. One game makes you the next One, another game makes you the next guy everyone wants to get the hell outta here ASAP.

McCourty and Wilson look to be heading in different directions, but it is still early. I was always happy with the McCourty pick because looking at his college production, he has the potential to be a shutdown CB. I think from what I have seen and how he has progressed, McCourty will be a pretty good CB in this league. Wilson so far hasn't show he can be a good CB, but he could develop into an incredible CB over time.

It is kinda funny with all the Jets fans trashing the Pats' drafts over the last few years that the only draft pick from the Jets' 2010 draft that might pan out is their fourth round FB. But then again, it is too early to tell with all their draft picks but it isn't a great start for any of them not named John Conner.

For those of you that wanted Kyle Wilson, this should really put a fork in that argument. This should leave no question that the Patriots drafted the right corner. Not that DM hasn't had issues with getting PI penalties or not turning his head, DM usually doesn't make the same mistakes twice.

Oh please, the kid's played six games. Perhaps Rex doesn't like his work ethic and is trying to motivate him by talking about it in public.

I still think McCourty will have a better career, but thats not at all knock on Kyle Wilson.

6 games into their rookie seasons, and you're coming out with this? :bricks:

Who wanted Wilson!?!?!

No one even wanted McCourty.

99% of this board ran to the ledge because the Pats took a corner!

Who wanted Wilson!?!?!

No one even wanted McCourty.

99% of this board ran to the ledge because the Pats took a corner!

Yeah, but based on the opinions of ESPN's subversive cabal of "analysts", people thought that Wilson was the #2 corner in the draft and that McCourty had low upside.
Thats what happened. And I'm not saying one is better than the other now, just that Mel Kiper is a clown.

Yeah, but based on the opinions of ESPN's subversive cabal of "analysts", people thought that Wilson was the #2 corner in the draft and that McCourty had low upside.
Thats what happened. And I'm not saying one is better than the other now, just that Mel Kiper is a clown.

The complaints were that the Pats drafted a special teamer in the first round. Many of the mediots said the best McCourty ever will be is a nickelback. The guy was a shutdown CB in college and the numbers show it. For some reason, people had a negative perception of the guy because his INT total was abismal.

One guy got coached up.

The other guy went out and got a god-damned snack.

Mel Kiper has Max Hall ranked as a 5th round talent and he went undrafted. He ended up starting games as a rookie. Regardless of the QB situation with the Cardinals, thats impressive. It's easy to rag on the guy cos no-ones perfect, but no one mentions the outstanding late round evaluations that Kiper has, including this one, all they want to do is bring up his misses, which isn't fair.

Revis is back healthy, kind of makes sense that Wilson's role would be reduced.

And since Pat fans seem to be oogling over themselves for the Pats taking McCourty over Wilson, it sure doesn't seem McCourty is helping with that pathetic Pats passing defense.

Pats fans can't be that dumb?

Last edited:
Revis is back healthy, kind of makes sense that Wilson's role would be reduced.

And since Pat fans seem to be oogling over themselves for the Pats taking McCourty over Wilson, it sure doesn't seem McCourty is helping with that pathetic Pats passing defense.

Pats fans can't be that dumb?

Did you even read the article?

McCourty and Wilson look to be heading in different directions, but it is still early. I was always happy with the McCourty pick because looking at his college production, he has the potential to be a shutdown CB. I think from what I have seen and how he has progressed, McCourty will be a pretty good CB in this league. Wilson so far hasn't show he can be a good CB, but he could develop into an incredible CB over time.

It is kinda funny with all the Jets fans trashing the Pats' drafts over the last few years that the only draft pick from the Jets' 2010 draft that might pan out is their fourth round FB. But then again, it is too early to tell with all their draft picks but it isn't a great start for any of them not named John Conner.

Jets fans have trashed Pats drafts because they deserve to be trashed, does the McCourty pick change that?

Wilson isn't playing because he has Revis and Cromartie ahead of him, do you think McCourty would be starting if Revis and Cromartie were playing on the Pats? The only reason McCourty is playing is because Bodden got hurt, just as is the case with Woodhead playing instead of Taylor and Faulk.

Did you even read the article?

Does that change the spin from some of the Pat homers here that are looking for justice in the wake of the Patriot drafting criticism in recent years, while at the same time want to rush to judgement on two players selected in this past year's draft, having only played 6 games in their NFL careers, and in completely different situations with the talent around them and the defenses they play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back