PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still a chance? Any guys you loved that went undrafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick list:

Adam Weber QB Minnesota
Taylor Potts, QB Texas Tech
Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin
Pat Devlin QB Delaware

Mario Fanin RB Auburn
Brandon Saine RB Ohio St
Henry Hynoski FB Pitt

Terrance Tolliver WR LSU
Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State
Armon Binns WR Cincinnati
Kealoha Pilares WR Hawaii
Ricardo Lockette WR Fort Valley State

Mike McNeil TE Nebraska
Colin Franklin TE Iowa St
Schuylar Oordt TE No. Iowa.

Tim Barnes OC Missouri
Zane Taylor OC Utah
Kris O’Dowd OC USC
Alex Linnenkohl C Oregon St
Ryan Batholemew C Syracuse

Butch Lewis G USC
Garrett Chisolm G S Carolina
Zack Hurd G UConn

Richard Lapham T BC
DJ Young T Michigan St
David Mims T Virginia Union

Brandon Bai DE Oregon
Pierre Allen DE Nebraska
Ugo Chinasa DE OK State

Eli Joseph DT Temple
Colby Whitlock DT Texas Tech
Marc Schiechl DT Colorado School of Mines
Anthony Gray DT So. Mississippi
Ian Williams DT Notre Dame
Martin Parker DT Richmond

Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College

Ryan Hill CB Miami
Kendric Burney CB No Carolina

Jeron Johnson S Boise St
DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson

Joe Lefeged S Rutgers

Last edited:
terrance toliver is really good, wr, from lsu. mario fannin has potential, just needs to stop fumbling....he's good as a receiving back also.

WR DeAndre Brown

Big medical and character issues, but has incredible Calvin Johnson-like talent. This guy was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school and was considered a bigger talent than AJ Green and Julio Jones before he broke his leg.

Give him a redshirt year on the practice squad and find out if the positives outweight the negatives.

Matt Berning OLB Central Michigan

Great lists, folks.

Besides all the previously-mentioned names, many of whom were also on my UDFA list,
I would also consider signing the following:
DE/OLBs Justin Trattou (UFlorida), Tom Keiser,
Jonathan Freeny (Rutgers) and Patrick Egboh;
CB Devon Torrance;
FS Jerrard Tarrant;
and DEs Lawrence Marsh (UFlorida), John Graves and Corbin Bryant.

Quick list:

Terrance Tolliver WR LSU
Jeff Maehl WR Oregon
Armon Binns WR Cincinnati

Ricardo Lockette WR Fort Valley State

Jake Kirkpatrick OC TCU (Rimington award winner for best NCAA Center)

Garrett Chisolm G S Carolina (Future starter for the Pats)

Zack Hurd G UConn

Brandon Bair DE Oregon

Pierre Allen DE Nebraska
Ugo Chinasa DE OK State

Colby Whitlock DT Texas Tech

Marc Schiechl OLB Colorado School of Mines

Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College (Tom Condon is a road block)

Jeron Johnson S Boise St
DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
Joe Lefeged S Rutgers
Mana Silva S Hawaii

DW Toys

Great lists, folks.

Besides all the previously-mentioned names, many of whom were also on my UDFA list,
I would also consider signing the following:
DE/OLBs Justin Trattou (UFlorida), Tom Keiser,
Jonathan Freeny (Rutgers) and Patrick Egboh;
CB Devon Torrance;
FS Jerrard Tarrant;
and DEs Lawrence Marsh (UFlorida), John Graves and Corbin Bryant.

These two in particular I thought had some potential, though their Pro Day numbers weren't very exciting.

If we needed yet another quick, agile slot guy with good hands and relatively mature route-running skills, Sanzenbacher might be a good pickup. He struck me as being kind of "Shipley-esque".

Zach Hurd did a lot of blocking for Jordan Todman. A bit tall for OG (6066), but Cobine numbers were comparable to those of Carpenter, Rackley and Watkins.

Brandon Bair has intriguing length (6057) and had decent enough Combine numbers (better than Corey Liuget). If he could put on 20 lbs (from 276) while maintaining his athleticism, he might have potential as a sub-package rusher from a DE or interior spot (though his "technique" appears to need considerable "taming"). With questions about the health of Wright and Pryor and about the attitude of Deaderick, he might be worth a camp tryout.

Bair is indeed intriguing, but asking him to put on 20 lbs without the benefit
of an NFL-supervised weight-training regimen might be too much to ask at this time.
If I were his agent, I'd first call 4-3 teams before calling the 3-4 teams.

Regarding DW's list, I really hope that at least one of
Barnes, Taylor, Kirkpatrick, O'Dowd and Boren
are signed as UDFAs to compete for the backup (& future?) Center position.

Thought I'd Stab + Drag my FAB ~ Free Agent Binkies ~ on account of this being a better Thread...Plus I assume that Coach B has scouts thoroughly scouring the Net for my pearls of wisdom!! :D

#108 ~ RS ~ DeAndre McDaniel ~ 6.0/216

780678044.jpg

Rover Back.

I don't think it's possible for me to come across as objective about DeAndre McDaniel.

His Long Speed is what most analysts dog him about: 4.63 "40" at the Combine. The prevailing "wisdom", of course, is that that time speaks to limited Range, and will compromise his ability to become an effective Safety at the Pro level.

My thinking is that very few of the alleged experts who cite that alleged wisdom could quote Rodney Harrison's "40" time.

So much for the crippling effects of a 4.63 "40".

More to the point, DeAndre McDaniel plays fast. I will put his Processing Speed and Diagnostic Skills up against any Safety in this Draft Class. His raw cerebral talent is outstanding, and his Instincts are phenomenal, but both pale in comparison to his relentless and implacable dedication to reading Game Tape, to analyzing, to training...in short: to his pursuit of mastering this Great Game.

He has explosive Verticity ~ his ability to Turn + Burn Fast + Fluidly is amazing. Combined with his extraordinary Diagnostic Skills and Processing Speed, he has forged an utterly fascinating ability to anticipate where the play is headed ~ to consistently be that vital, critical, absolutely devastating half step ahead of everyone else.

He navigates Traffic with exceptional skill, surprising Speed, and relentless Fury: He is terrifying, out there!!

And he arrives with all the rage of HELL: This is a guy who genuinely LOVES to blast people!! He plays this Game with a GREAT deal of Ferocity and Passion. And yet this is a guy who tackles with consistently disciplined technique: a sure, wrap up tackler. I find that combination of traits ~ Ferocity and Discipline ~ VERY rare.

And he's a tremendous team mate, as well: Very disciplined in sticking to assignments, yet this is no small minded "Not My Section" Prima Donna. Quite the opposite. The very instant that it's clear that the ball's not coming his way, he immediately heads the ball's way...and often an half second ahead of everyone else. Again: his instincts, his Diagnostic Skills, and his Processing Speed...are astonishing.

On top of all that, he's got a Sixth Sense for the FootBall, tremendous anticipation of it trajectory, exceptional timing of his leaps, and enormous hands. It's no coincidence that he's racked up 12 Interceptions, the last two years.

This is an exceptional young man, a guy who has worked his way forward from an awful childhood, who made some mistakes in college...and who has emerged as an Honor Roll student, a team Captain, and an amazing, inspiring Leader.

#129 ~ CB ~ Ryan Jones ~ 5.11/200

166770679.jpg

Ryan Jones brings an absolutely outstanding fusion of skills to this Great Game: Terrific Long Speed, exceptional Quickness, superior Fluidity, and tremendous Verticity ~ Turn + Burn ability. He's Instinctive, he's Strong, and he's got a well established talent for sniffing out the FootBall and creating TurnOvers.

And he's an aggressive Run Defender who hits hard and often.

He's raw and untrained, as can be expected, coming out of an obscure school, but that's nothing that can't be rapidly overcome when he gets profressional training.

This kid has #1 Corner potential written all over him, yet he's projected to go in the Late Rounds!!

#154 ~ OT ~ Willie "Fresh Prince" Smith ~ 6.5/310

161129007.jpg

Willie Smith brings a stunning blend of Anchoring Power, Sustainable Leverage, Fluidity, Lateral Agility, and Range to the table.

His fusion of Athleticism + Power at the Point of Attack is astonishing.

He's raw as hell, of course.

But Willie Smith, for my money, has multiple Pro Bowl Potential.

And he is currently projected for the 7th Round.

Let Coach Dante put this kid's explosive natural skills to work, and could become exceptional.

#159 ~ OT ~ David Mims ~ 6.8/330

950420222.jpg

One of the most fascinating aspects of this Great Game, is how I continue to watch men ~ Professionals ~ who know, literally, THOUSANDS of times more than me about this Great Game...make UNFATHOMABLE mistakes.

Talent evaluation is subjective, of course, and it is somewhere therein that the paradox lies.

I rank David Mims as the #2 O Tackle in this entire Draft Class.

And yet his current Estimated Draft Position is on the fringe of the 7th Round!!

And this...in a year where the O Tackle Draft Class is awful.

David Mims commands an astonishing fusion of Mastodonic Power and utterly shocking Athleticism. On tape, last year, he displayed obscene Fluidity + Agility for a 350 Pound man.

And on Pro Day he was down to 330.

He is raw as ALL get out: The man did not even have the benefit of a LINE Coach, much less a Strength + Conditioning Coach at Virginia Union. His Technique needs a lot of work.

But this kid ~ mark my words ~ has 10 Pro Bowl + Hall of Fame Potential.

#169 ~ XB ~ Graig Cooper ~ 5.10/205

239389196.jpg

I am not particularly rational about Graig Cooper.

I think he brings an amazing Fusion of Fluidity, Lateral Velocity, Processing Speed, and flat out Ferocity to the Game.

FEROCITY.

I'm telling ya: The man runs angry.

If I had to, I would cement off my 53rd Roster spot for a year, in order to let him complete the healing, but not let him get away. Would he be able to recapture his Game, if one GM or Coach was that smart??

Frankly, I think SO.

If somebody is smart, they remember that it ALWAYS takes 18 months to Take It Through The Gears and get back up to 100% Operational Capacity, following a devastating injury...and then they scoop up Cooper on Day 3, and just ROCK with him for the next decade.

#193 ~ TE ~ Will Yeatman ~ 6.6/270

178006194.jpg

Will Yeatman, in my view, has more Up Side than any classical ~ 90% Blocking/10% Receiving ~ Tight End in this Class.

He is raw as hell, but he is the prototypical size for the job, and he commands astonishing athleticism.

Will Yeatman is a ferocious Blocker who commands great natural dexterity ~ honed through years of playing LaCrosse!! ~ and who has only just tasted his incipient Navigational Liquidity in running the Route Tree.

He commands nothing less than All Pro Potential as a mauling, crushing traditional Tight End...and with surprising Agility and Instincts as a Receiver!!

And yet he projects as a Free Agent.

God Bless America.

#204 ~ WB ~ Brett Brackett ~ 6.6/250

354140032.jpg

Brett Brackett is raw as hell, a guy who would, in fact, need to be a Wide Receiver Conversion. He's not particularly fast, either out of the Blocks or DownField, but he's an excellent Navigator, a natural Receiver, and very, very Instinctive and Savvy: As a former QuarterBack, he knows how to Work the Field.

What really excites me, though, is his ferocity as a Blocker and his absolutely selfless dedication to his mates, so rare in a Wide Out.

His speed would seem to limit him as a vertical Wing End kind of guy, but I think he has the potential to be a phenomenal developmental Wing Back.

#225 ~ PB ~ Mario Fannin ~ 5.10/230

128041861.jpg

Power Back.

Oh man do I LOVE this kid:

Explosion.

Fluidity.

Lateral Velocity.

A punishing Runner.

Not only that, but he is a crushing Blocker, and a deadly Receiver.

Sure, he runs too high, and his Navigational Skills need work.

He is by NO means a lock to succeed.

But, my GOD.

Marion Fannin could end up being a demolishing Weapon.

And he might not even get drafted.

Here's hoping we wait late, and then POUNCE on this kid.

#231 ~ UT ~ Colby WhitLock ~ 6.2/300

645533893.jpg

Under Tackle.

Explosive Launch.

Violent Hands.

Agility.

Great Instincts.

Outstanding Diagnostic Skills.

Exceptional Processing Speed.

Don't ask ME why he's projected as a Free Agent.

I have NO idea.

I think, with time and training, that Colby WhitLock could become phenomenal as our primary Sub Pack Pass Rushing Under Tackle in the 434 and the 425.

Indeed, he is far and AWAY my favorite late round candidate for that job.

Free Agent ~ DF ~ Craig Marshall ~ 6.4/275

623041208.jpg

Craig Marshall needs work on his Technique, as he plays too high too often. This is usually something that can be improved upon, however, with enough Core Strength Training and Coaching.

And he has a tremendous Frame for this Game ~ 6.5/275 with lengthy arms ~ combined with tremendous Fluidity and Lateral Agility. His Game is certainly raw, but his combination of Power, Burst, Strength, and Agility is very intriguing, and if he and the right coaching crew can harness his extraordinary set of skills, he could become a Force.

Free Agent ~ DF ~ Christian Anthony ~ 6.4/275

300225706.jpg

Flanker.

Christian Anthony had an Heart Attack ~ or something ~ last August, and there are many teams ~ perhaps all of them, for all I know ~ who will simply refuse to draft the kid. And that would be a damned shame. Because the kid has MONSTER Potential.

MIND you: there're some Red Flags: He is NOTORIOUSLY undisciplined in assignments. The interview process is particularly important with young Mister Anthony, because if I were checking him out, I'd want to question him directly about blown assignments, Free Lancing, and what his intentions are in the NFL. Ironically, it's very possible that the heart attack ~ a life changing event, if there ever was one ~ may turn out, at the end of the day, to have been a blessing in disguise, for a wake up call was certainly in order.

Christian Anthony was an absolutely spectacular player in college, and an emotional and inspiring team mate. We can only hope, first, that the heart attack was either a freak occurrence that Doctors can convincingly explain as such, or a warning to change his life style ~ IF it was behavior related ~ that he will heed, and heed well. Second, would be the hope that the process has inspired him to take inventory, as they say, and realize, among other, more celestial things, that Championship FootBall comes not from Free Lancing, but from working with 10 other men, one play at a time, which means, in the lexicon of Coach Bill Belichick: "Do Your Job."

As a prospect, Christian Anthony offers an outstanding fusion of Power, Speed, Strength, and Athleticism: He is, indeed, that rare Athlete ~ 6.4/275 ~ who can effectively Rush the Passer AND Set the Edge.

Should he check out, medically, and if he has, indeed, learned, via this life threatening wake up call, the true value of playing as part of a team for the entire game, he could forge a tremendous career.

Free Agent ~ DF ~ Marc Schiechl ~ 6.3/255

955069152.jpg

Information on Marc Schiechl is thin, but we do know this much:

1 ~ The Kirwan Explosion Index suggests that anyone who scores a 70 or more on aggregate Vertical Jump, Bench Reps, and Broad Jump has, at the very least, the raw skills to be a powerfull, powerfull Force attacking the Line of Scrimmage and the QuarterBack. And Schliechl, with 38 Bench Reps, a 35 Vertical, and a 10 Broad Jump, scored an OUTRAGEOUS 83!!

2 ~ Yes, but can he do it on the field?? Well, it's Division II, but he can't help that, now can he? And Jerry Rice was Division II, of course...How does 46 Sacks in 4 years, to set an all time D2 record, sound??

Free Agent ~ DT ~ Blaine Sumner ~ 6.1/335

827258117.jpg

Blaine Sumner rocked out no less than 52 Bench Presses at the Air Force pro day, breaking the all time Combine record of 49 which had just been set by Stephen Paea.

Sumner is a BEAST of a PowerLifter, too, who has marks of 900 pounds on the Squat, 600 pounds on the Bench, 800 pounds on the Dead Lift, and 400 pounds on the Hang Clean.

He is GODZILLA.

He is also raw as hell.

But I would LOVE to see what we could do with him.

Outstanding posts, OTG. I esp. like Schiechl, Sumner, Jones, Smith & McDaniel.
If Bill hadn't already drafted 2(!) RBs & a(nother) TE, I'd also like your choices of RB & TE.

Outstanding posts, OTG. I esp. like Schiechl, Sumner, Jones, Smith & McDaniel.

If Bill hadn't already drafted 2(!) RBs & a(nother) TE, I'd also like your choices of RB & TE.

Awesome!! Thank you kindly, Brother Stone!! :rocker:

I'm amazed that all these paid NFL talent evaluators missed on these guys. Time to hire new scouts and GMs.

I'm amazed that all these paid NFL talent evaluators missed on these guys. Time to hire new scouts and GMs.

You mean hire "Off the Grid", who I assume would be happy to give up whatever his day job is to pursue his passion as a scout or GM, unless he was retained to be the agent for players -- a Boras for footballers.

I wonder if there's bias against small school athletes in the heads of many people associated with the NFL.

I wonder if there's bias against small school athletes in the heads of many people associated with the NFL.
Probably not a "bias" exactly, snake. Its just that it is THAT much harder to project a kid playing at a small school than say the SEC. Remember for these scouts, how accurately to evaluate players is directly proportionate to the length of time you hold a job. Its a crapshoot trying to figure out players coming out of the BCS division let alone trying to evaluate some kid from the Colorado School or Mines, or Tufts.

Not easy to recommend using such a valuable commodity like a draft pick on a Jumbo when your job is on the line. ;)

Spend a supplemental draft pick on Terrelle Pryor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST