Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steelers cut Larry Foote

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by tobias funke, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why? He's only 28.

Puts the Vrabel deal in a little more perspective, maybe.
  2. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Don't know much about Larry, but he's been there for a while, hasn't he? Interesting move for sure.

Alright, I'll do it. We interested? :D
  3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Hmmm...... So Tomlin's got one Foote out the door already.
  4. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Wah wah wah waaaaaaaaaaah :p
  5. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I want Vrabel Back.
  6. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He's been getting less and less playing time, and they've got a few young LBs that look like they deserve more.
  7. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

They drafted Lawrence Timmons in the first round a few years back and he performed very well in spot duty. I guess they are going to move him into the starting role. Foote probably has too much of a cap hit to keep around and Farrior signed a deal before last season that makes him uncutable now eventhough I would cut him over Foote because of his age.
  8. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

The interesting thing is that Vrabel was a Steelers castoff, wasn't he? It seems to me that, though both teams play a 3-4, their overall defensive philosophies are pretty different. It could be that players who can't find a place in one, might be well suited to the other.

Again, don't know much about Foote, but we've got cap space and if he might provide depth I'm all for it.
  9. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yea I'm wondering what kind of money he's looking for.
  10. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

11. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

Here's Scout, Inc.'s take on Foote. I highlighted the areas that would attract Belichick to him:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=3656
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  12. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I think he will hookup with the Lions
  13. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hear the Chiefs calling...
  14. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

He did say that if he was cut he would want to go there, but who knows. Belichick can be very persuasive.
  15. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Way too many feelers sent out to them from him during the prior months for him not to...
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He already has two rings form the Steelers, what else can they offer that he hasn't already gotten in Pittsburgh?
  17. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm sure there could be a role for him here, but you'd have to think - even at this stage in free agency - that a 28 year old starter from a dominant superbowl winning defense would get some pretty decent contract offers elsewhere.
  18. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

More rings. Some guys aren't happy unless they get a ring every year. Do you think if the Pats cut Brady today that he would rather go to a place where he would be rebuilding and making tons of money or make slightly less somewhere else and contend for a Super Bowl.

I don't know what motivates Foote. But if his desire to win more rings is strong, the Pats have a chance. The Lions are at least 2-3 years from being a playoff contender. The way they run their organization, that might be way overly optimisitic estimates.
  19. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe in the past they ran it into the ground but they are starting to look up this year...then again they can't go much farther down.

Anyway the Patriots are winners, but so aren't the Giants, and the Colts, and the Chargers- winning isn't just something you get in New England, there has to be more to it that he likes than just winning.

If he likes the system, that's a valid reason. If he likes the coaches, that's a valid reason- but not just winning alone.
  20. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Eh, maybe I'm just different than you but I know that if I already won two rings, I would be looking for the fattest payday I could possibly get. Considering what the Lions gave Stafford, I don't think it will be with them.
  21. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

After seeing their trade for Julian Peterson or how much they guaranteed Stafford, I don't know if the Lions are really are going to get much better. I do agree that they will be better than 0-16 this year and probably be better run than when Matt Millen ran the franchise, but is that really setting the bar all that high.

As for winning, there are a lot of teams with winning franchises. But will they have an interest or a need for Foote?

The Pats have a system that would suite Foote. The coach is a proven winner. I agree that winning alone won't influence his decision.

I never said the Pats will get Foote. I don't even know if Belichick will pursue him. But to act like the Pats have no shot at him is a little silly at this point.
  22. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

A lot of guys would. Others wouldn't. It all depends on the make up of the player. I look at a guy like Brady and think he would never be happy on a perinial loser team even if he was the highest paid player on the team and even if he wasn't already one of the richest players in the league. Guys like him hate to lose a game of Dominos in the lockerroom nevermind lose on the football field. Granted there aren't a lot of Bradys in the world.

Foote may be all about the money. Foote may rather go back to his home state of Michigan and lose than win in a city he has no ties. I don't know what motivates the guy. But winning more rings might be it especially since a lot of the free agent money is gone this late in the offseason.
  23. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about Larry Foote's personality. He could be hungry to win more rings all the time and that may sway him as to which team he chooses. I'm just playing the odds. The odds say that he probably lands on a rebuilding team that has ample cap money. I'm thinking maybe the Chiefs since they have a need at ILB.
  24. Peachhead

Peachhead PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

If we can get him at the right price we should sign him now!
  25. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

ooo hope san diego can scoop him up!
  26. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

You could be right. Only time will tell. I am just not going to write him off yet even since it has only been an hour since he was cut.

Who knows, at his age, the Pats may be willing to give him a long term competitive contract. The guy isn't going to get top tier money no matter where he goes. He is good, but not great and coming off his worst year in the last four or five.
  27. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They drafted Woodley who looked absolutely amazing last year, so I think the writing was on the wall for Foote.
  28. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

29. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only one way to go and getting a decent name like him might be a start especially if it bolsters a defense that was one of if not the worst in the league last year...

I'm not acting like they have no shot, I'm skeptical that they will go after him...don't really see a need for him with the crop of guys on the team already and I don't see him wanting to come to New England...if they get him I'll be proud, if not I won't be disappointed as he is a pure luxury in my eyes. Either way I don't see him coming.
  30. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

Is Foote any better than Mckenzie? BB does like his veterans though. If Foote is healthy and signs for vet min, I'd probably approve. ;) I am worried that his last year showed decline though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.