PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Starting Threads - Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what he is saying is folks like Kraft, BB, and players read this board.

I am sure Randy appreciated the threads speculating on whether he would become a cancer after Brady went down.

Cassel is greatful that he is not sacked as often as there is a thread suggesting he be sacked for some washed up vet.

Not Paris Hilton. But is this is the window the team's players have to the fans. And quite frankly it is embarrassing.

Yeah, I kinda guessed that was what he was talking about. But Paris Hilton reading this board would be Hot. She might actually be able to give better analysis than some of the bozos who post here.

Please don't tell me that the Wes Welker that posts in the PoFo is the ACTUAL Wes Welker. :eek:

I hate to say it but wouldn't it be better if this thread were more focused on improving the quality of our posts and reducing trolls, and less focused on what famous people might post here? If they remain anonymous, then it's pretty irrelevant other than to play celebrity worship.

Lurking has it's advantages :)

Hm...

285262.jpg

Ian,

While I understand what you're doing, I am concerned that this move may be the first step down an unfortunate path. Where exactly does the line get drawn? Does ANY criticism of the team deem it necessary a thread be moved to the Practice Squad forum?

As fans, I believe we have the right to be disappointed in poor performance by the team we root for and to express that disappointment through criticism. Moving some of the more inane or ridiculously-conceived threads is one thing, but removing genuine, well thought out criticism from the board just so the feelings of the more lemming-like members are not hurt would be a shame.

For example, while that thread criticizing Pioli was off the mark, there was some truth to it. The lack of 2nd and 3rd round selections remaining on the team is unsettling. If I were to make a post questioning the strategy exercised by the personnel dept. in the 2nd round, is that automatically going to be moved? Are mods going to have this discretion?

I read this board for a few years before I joined, and I've seen a lot of things here. There's been a lot of bad behavior by a lot of people, from long-term members to the occasional opponent troll, that never warranted a reaction like this. (From what I've seen), You have been lax with it, and left us to our own devices in dealing with it. It's refreshing compared to other boards, who perma-ban people for the slightest infraction.

I appreciate all the work you do for the board, and perusing it has become a part of my daily routine. I just don't want the McCartyistic behavior that has been occurring on this board to be vindicated in anyway.

You ARE! The Unoriginal Boxestrator segment just got added to Patriots All Access:singing:
Dagnabbit, why can't DirecTV gets that show on nationwide for the entire fanbase? :mad:

Though I'd probably be bummed that they were making points Shannon Sharpe would make if he could speak English.
shocked-smiley-9450.gif

Last edited:
Dagnabbit, why can't DirecTV gets that show on nationwide for the entire fanbase? :mad:

Though I'd probably be bummed that they were making points Shannon Sharpe would make if he could speak English.
shocked-smiley-9450.gif

Actually he and Marshall Faulk are actually the dudes speaking on your behalf on the show... :p

Ian,

While I understand what you're doing, I am concerned that this move may be the first step down an unfortunate path. Where exactly does the line get drawn? Does ANY criticism of the team deem it necessary a thread be moved to the Practice Squad forum?
Pattern of behavior factors in here. Posters have criticized the team since I first found this site, and from the olde timers around the cracker barrel, from the beginning. Some may be harsher in their word choice, but everyone, including myself, has had sharp things to say about the team we follow. Where the problem develops is the individuals who attack the team in "every" post and start numerous threads just to screech about the same topic. The forum goes through spells of extremely annoying behavior, then mellows for awhile when Ian cleans house, before the gradual draw down begins again. This is just a periodic housecleaning, nothing out of the ordinary.

As fans, I believe we have the right to be disappointed in poor performance by the team we root for and to express that disappointment through criticism. Moving some of the more inane or ridiculously-conceived threads is one thing, but removing genuine, well thought out criticism from the board just so the feelings of the more lemming-like members are not hurt would be a shame.
As a "lemming," I insist you join the migration - there's just something about this trip that, well, you don't want to go alone.

For example, while that thread criticizing Pioli was off the mark, there was some truth to it. The lack of 2nd and 3rd round selections remaining on the team is unsettling. If I were to make a post questioning the strategy exercised by the personnel dept. in the 2nd round, is that automatically going to be moved? Are mods going to have this discretion?
Mods are evil (just ask them).

I read this board for a few years before I joined, and I've seen a lot of things here. There's been a lot of bad behavior by a lot of people, from long-term members to the occasional opponent troll, that never warranted a reaction like this. (From what I've seen), You have been lax with it, and left us to our own devices in dealing with it. It's refreshing compared to other boards, who perma-ban people for the slightest infraction.
Quit blaming Ian, he just mindlessly does what BB tells him to do.

I appreciate all the work you do for the board, and perusing it has become a part of my daily routine. I just don't want the McCartyistic behavior that has been occurring on this board to be vindicated in anyway.
McCarthy was right.
eat-drink-smiley-7838.gif

Actually he and Marshall Faulk are actually the dudes speaking on your behalf on the show... :p
So which calls himself unoriginal and which Box_O_Rocks? :rofl:

Wow! That is very 1984ish of you Ian. Now I am intrigued who is watching this board. I have long suspected Paris Hilton is a frequent visitor based on all the "intelligent" posts have been posted lately.

Note to Patsfans Members. If you can't understand a reference to "1984" you may very well be one of the "problem" thread starters. (And no, it has nothing to do with Van Halen)

McCarthy was a authoritarian moron.

But this the opposite of McCarthyism - Ian is asking people to think before just spouting off. Interestingly enough, thinking is liberating. Well conceived criticism is good and should be accepted, un-thinking criticism is counter-productive. There is a substantive difference.

So which calls himself unoriginal and which Box_O_Rocks? :rofl:

Should be obvious, especially if one would happen to call MFer's head a box...

Last edited:
Ian,

Threads that are over the top supportive of the team have been moved there as well and post that contained rational criticism have remained. So your premise is flawed, it is the overthetopness, not supportive vs critical.

Should be obvious, especially if one would happen to call MFer's head a box...
A cultural reference that evades me...
confused-smiley-17428.gif

Thanks, Ian.

As many folks here know, I've generally been pretty much a Libertarian when it comes to bans and "regulated speech." So, it took a lot for me to email you a couple of weeks ago and say "enough is enough." It had gotten to the point where people who know something about the game and the League were starting to avoid the Board or think of it a laughingstock.

Some of the nonsense was just immaturity on the part of Bandwagoners who discovered the NFL in January of 2002 and didn't know how to handle the fact that their team no longer had one of the greatest QB's of all time and was now struggling. Most of us could have lived with that. But, there were too many persistently stupid threads that seemed to be trying to sabotage the board and certainly were making it an unattractive place.

You have my support, as I know you have the support of a lot of other people. Hey, we've got a pretty decent team that could still end up 10--6 or so and in the Playoffs. I'm pumped for the rest of the season!

Ian,

If you have been reading the board consistently for any length of time I think you should know that Ian is very tolerant and has no problem with intelligent (or even semi-intelligent) criticism. Many people think he should be stricter, others think he's too strict, and that means he probably has a good balance.

For example, while that thread criticizing Pioli was off the mark, there was some truth to it. The lack of 2nd and 3rd round selections remaining on the team is unsettling. If I were to make a post questioning the strategy exercised by the personnel dept. in the 2nd round, is that automatically going to be moved?

I don't think so, as long as you want a discussion and not a shouting match. In my opinion that thread got moved because a few people who didn't like the Pat's drafting refused to further explore or justify their positions in a way that would lead to productive and interesting discussion. The main response was in effect "this is my opinion, I refuse to justify it or discuss it further, and if you disagree you're a mindless homer so I don't care what you think anyway". The subject of drafting could easily be explored with much more rationality, that thread had degenerated by the end and noone reading the last couple of pages learned anything except how to kill a few brain cells. Threads on that topic are fine, IMO, but threads like that one are garbage and should be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back