PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Squealers' Coach Tomlin Cheats to Prevent TD

I'm assuming the word "precedent" doesn't mean much to you.

Your assumption is about as far off base as it could possibly get. You either don't get my very clear point, or you're trolling. Either way, further discussion with you on this matter seems as if it would be useless.

Yep, can't disagree with all of that. We have Bill's arrogance to thank.

Bill's mistake was in not getting clarification. I don't know whether that was from arrogance, or just because he assumed that Goodell would continue in the same manner that Tags did.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, cameragate basically boils down to the commissioner wildly overreacting about something that could have been completely avoided with a simple phone call.

Yes Bill's ego or neglect was the root cause of Goody's over the top reaction.

I will enjoy the playoffs without Mike Tomlin and the Steelers much more now.

The best description that I've seen in this thread was that it was a bush league move by Tomlin.

Re: OT: Squealers' Coach Tomlin Cheats to Prevent TD

Yup. But it won't grow for long if he doesn't start playing better in the playoffs. Especially if he wants the legacy of having the most rings by a starting QB in NFL history. This is the era of passing in the NFL, and this should be Brady's time.

I remember calculating his average passer rating since the AFC Divisional round in 2007 and if you don't count the Tebow game it's something like 83. Since that Jags playoff game he's played great in 2 games (The tebow game and the Texans game last year), and in every other postseason game he's either been ordinary or just flat out stunk. That ain't going to cut it.
Why would you not count the Tebow game?

I will enjoy the playoffs without Mike Cheatlin and the Cheatlers much more now.

The best description that I've seen in this thread was that it was a bush league move by Tomlin.

I fixed your post (That is, if we want to act like mouth breather Steelers fans).

Beyond being a bush league move, it was a truly stupid act by Tomlin, whether it was intentional or accidental.

If his positioning was accidental, I think you have to question allowing him to make any critical decisions. He didn't realize he had walked that far away from the bench area and had one foot on the field? And he chose to watch the play on the video board without being aware of what was happening around him? This would be like a highway crew foreman almost getting run over by a piece of equipment because he decided to stand with one foot on the road instead of actually watching the equipment from a safe distance.

If his actions were intentional, then you have to wonder why he thought this would be a good idea and if he believed he would get away with it. On one hand, it did prevent a touchdown. On the other, he had to resort to the kind of tactic an 8 year old would think up. As many questions about Tomlin's judgement the "it was an accident" explanation raises, they actually worse if he did it on purpose.

As far as the topic of whether the Steelers will keep Tomlin or not, it all depends on if they think they can win with him. A few years ago, James Harrison and a lesser known wide receiver were both involved in domestic violence situations. The lesser known player was quickly shown the door. Harrison stayed and the team owner even offered a misguided defense of his actions. If Pittsburgh moves on from Tomlin, it will be based more on the fact that the team hasn't won a playoff game since 2010 than this incident.

How i can i be a fan of the jets when i clearly despise all things new york except for the nets because they own the celtics a draft pick.

"Spygate" seems to never go away. I thought it would after the pats went 16-0 and brady 50 tds, but it clearly didn't.

I think the juicing steelers is way worse than anything the pats have ever did.

Interesting, I never even mentioned the Jets.

Thank you for posting a valid response to what i posted instead of juvenile insults.

My point is this sideline incident will be forgotten when the regular season is over just like the jason kidd cup incident... The cloud of "spygate" has severely damaged bill's credibility and the patriots reputation.

Tom brady is the only one who has remained unblemished from all of that mess.

No it hasn't. Belichick's credibility is fine. If you are worried about fans and players that are haters...well, haters are gonna hate, it ain't no big thing. Just get over it.

Most fans think the Pats cheated to win titles. We (and a few informed fans of other teams) know they did not. We all know that kind of taping was legal back then.

Unfortunately perception is reality. Perception is what taints dynasties.

That's why it won't go away. I mean it's been 40 years since the Steelers PED cheated their way to a dynasty and that hasn't been forgotten. So why would this. We'll just have to wear it...it is what it is.

Personally I would have had a real problem if that Rams walkthrough tape existed. That would have ruined that first SB win for me. I can't imagine the grief we would have taken if that had truth to it. I would also think the Pats would have a new head coach right now if that were true. Thankfully it did not exist.

I do not think most fans think the Patriots cheated to win their titles.

Bill's mistake was in not getting clarification. I don't know whether that was from arrogance, or just because he assumed that Goodell would continue in the same manner that Tags did.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, cameragate basically boils down to the commissioner wildly overreacting about something that could have been completely avoided with a simple phone call.

Agreed. And IMO, it was his arrogance that made him decide that he didn't need clarification or to make a phone call, he'll just keep on doing things his own way because he's Bill Belichick. And he'll have no problem talking his way out of it in lawyer-speak if caught. Whoops.

Love BB but he made the wrong decision and I bet he makes a very different one if he's put in the same situation again.

I fixed your post (That is, if we want to act like mouth breather Steelers fans).

Beyond being a bush league move, it was a truly stupid act by Tomlin, whether it was intentional or accidental.

If his positioning was accidental, I think you have to question allowing him to make any critical decisions. He didn't realize he had walked that far away from the bench area and had one foot on the field? And he chose to watch the play on the video board without being aware of what was happening around him? This would be like a highway crew foreman almost getting run over by a piece of equipment because he decided to stand with one foot on the road instead of actually watching the equipment from a safe distance.

If his actions were intentional, then you have to wonder why he thought this would be a good idea and if he believed he would get away with it. On one hand, it did prevent a touchdown. On the other, he had to resort to the kind of tactic an 8 year old would think up. As many questions about Tomlin's judgement the "it was an accident" explanation raises, they actually worse if he did it on purpose.

As far as the topic of whether the Steelers will keep Tomlin or not, it all depends on if they think they can win with him. A few years ago, James Harrison and a lesser known wide receiver were both involved in domestic violence situations. The lesser known player was quickly shown the door. Harrison stayed and the team owner even offered a misguided defense of his actions. If Pittsburgh moves on from Tomlin, it will be based more on the fact that the team hasn't won a playoff game since 2010 than this incident.

You could be right that his team's poor performance will ultimately be the reason to fire Tomlin but this certainly won't help either. Like I said Santonio Holmes is precedent on how the Rooneys will deal with players who embarrass the Steeler name.

Brian Billick never ceases to amaze me. On last night's radio broadcast he said that, knowing Tomlin well, he was 100% certain Tomlin would never intentionally pull a move like this. Yet he said he thought the 100K fine was appropriate for Tomlin's "innocent" mistake.
:bricks:

I wonder if there is a reason why he's "retired" from coaching now. :rolleyes:

YIPEE!!! Great to see another member use the better way to frame the 'scandal'. Hope many more do so!

Thanks Deus!

Brian Billick never ceases to amaze me. On last night's radio broadcast he said that, knowing Tomlin well, he was 100% certain Tomlin would never intentionally pull a move like this. Yet he said he thought the 100K fine was appropriate for Tomlin's "innocent" mistake.
:bricks:

I wonder if there is a reason why he's "retired" from coaching now. :rolleyes:

That's almost word for word what the hosts on SIRIUS NFL radio said. Apparently Tomlin has some exalted status with pundits and cannot be criticized.

He was standing IN the field. He saw the guy coming. And he didn't jump back until the last second. It was definitely intentional. Tomlin 'got away' with one. But the league should fine him because that move was bush league and could have affected the game. Heck it should have been a penalty on the field and an automatic TD. Coaches do not belong NOT on the field when the players are playing.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back