PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes - maybe a little writing on the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make a prediction right now. Next year, at this time, Brandon Spikes is a New York Jet unless BB wants Spikes more than Sexy Rexy (if he still has a job).

Man, don't even joke about that. Would hate to see Spikes in gang green :( . Unless someone offers at least a 2nd round pick I wouldn't trade Spikes. He could easily be the difference between a 1st round exit and super bowl champs. He's made so many clutch plays.

My guess is the Patriots would want 4 years at 18 million with about 6 guaranteed, and Spikes would want 4-5 for 32-35 million with 15-18 guaranteed, but that's obviously just a guess. The Patriots may not even want to go that high if he is just playing on running downs.

I love the physical presence that Spikes brings but if he were to ask for anything close to the $7-8 million you suggest, then he should be immediately drug-tested. I think you're high on both what Spikes will be looking for and what the Patriots will be willing to pay.

I love the physical presence that Spikes brings but if he were to ask for anything close to the $7-8 million you suggest, then he should be immediately drug-tested. I think you're high on both what Spikes will be looking for and what the Patriots will be willing to pay.

If Spikes was offered a contract with an AAV of $7-8 million then there is something seriously wrong with that team. I wouldn't offer him anything more than $3.5 million AAV for no more than 3-4 years with 50% guaranteed.

I'll make a prediction right now. Next year, at this time, Brandon Spikes is a New York Jet unless BB wants Spikes more than Sexy Rexy (if he still has a job).

Rex won't have a job next year, and even if he does, they haven't had a safety with actual range since Kerry Rhodes left. pairing Spikes with their safeties would be a big mistake. More likely that he ends up in Cleveland, IMO.

Why does everyone think he's going to the browns? Seems like a really random place to pick. I really want him on the pats but perhaps the jags try to get him. I'm sure gators fans would love to see him back in florida. Hopefully spikes doesn't ask for too much and he's back. Can never have too many talented linebackers. Especially with injuries and what not.

Unless someone offers at least a 2nd round pick I wouldn't trade Spikes.

I have no idea how/where the idea that he made be traded started.

There's no reason whatsoever to think that Belichick won't take advantage of the last year in his cheap rookie deal, especially while Collins gets his feet wet in the system, and Hightower/Jones continue to grow into their 2nd year.

I don't see many scenarios however, where he'd be back for next season on a new deal. Of course that is just my opinion.

If Spikes was offered a contract with an AAV of $7-8 million then there is something seriously wrong with that team. I wouldn't offer him anything more than $3.5 million AAV for no more than 3-4 years with 50% guaranteed.

I don't see anyone offering Spikes 7-8 million AAV next year, but they could offer him something around 5 to 5 1/2.

Either way, if another team offers him 4 million AAV and we only offer him 3.75 he'll likely be gone. We've seen plenty of players with strong reputations and great play for this team leave over small amounts of money in a difference of opinions.

Rex won't have a job next year, and even if he does, they haven't had a safety with actual range since Kerry Rhodes left. pairing Spikes with their safeties would be a big mistake. More likely that he ends up in Cleveland, IMO.

He won't be going to the Browns. They are also running a 4-3 set starting this year with a projected defensive front 7 of Sheard - Rubin - Taylor - Mingo and a linebacker set of Kruger - Jackson - Groves.

Why does everyone think he's going to the browns? Seems like a really random place to pick.

My guess is the switch back to a 3-4 defense, combined with good secondary play/man to man strengths, and a committment to a more physical defense with attitude. That coupled with some free agency dollars again, and a suspected improvement in record may give posters and fans the idea that CLE may be a good place for him to play.

But as you said, it's only one team out of 32...so they're just guessing and it's purely speculative, especially at this point in time.

He won't be going to the Browns. They are also running a 4-3 set starting this year

Huh?

Ray Horton is the new DC.

30 front.....

Just out of curiosity, what does you username mean? The last name of Belichick is misspelled, and the years you have following (010405) don't match up to the Super Bowl years.

Huh?

Ray Horton is the new DC.

30 front.....

Just out of curiosity, what does you username mean? The last name of Belichick is misspelled, and the years you have following (010405) don't match up to the Super Bowl years.

Yep - I understand that Ray Horton is the new DC. He is going to run a 4-3 flex defense because of the personnel that is on the roster. As for my user name - beats me why I have that user name and I am pretty sure that I cannot change it....I signed up a couple of years ago and I think it just defaulted if my memory serves me correctly. If there is anyway of changing the user id, please let me know so that I can take care of it. :)

projected defensive front 7 of Sheard - Rubin - Taylor - Mingo and a linebacker set of Kruger - Jackson - Groves.

The rumors of them trying to find a trade partner for Jabal Sheard are due to the fact that he doesn't project well at all as a fit into their new 3-4.

He isn't really an OLB, and yet he's not a DE either.

The draft selection of B.Mingo also went hand in hand with their move, as did the free agency acquisitions of Desmond Bryant (inside pressure for subpackages), and Paul Kruger--who will be a full time LB.

. As for my user name - beats me why I have that user name and I am pretty sure that I cannot change it....I signed up a couple of years ago and I think it just defaulted if my memory serves me correctly. If there is anyway of changing the user id, please let me know so that I can take care of it. :)

I just wondered. I assumed that maybe you mistyped while entering the info.

I'm not sure if you're able to change it at this point, but you could always ask in the 'technical help' forum. Either way it hardly matters. I was just curious...don't mean to pry.

As far as the switch to a 3-4, obviously I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that Horton and CLE were in the process of switching to a full-time 3-4 front.

EDIT: yeah, they are definitely moving back to the 3-4. There are many articles stating this if you do a quick google search. I was actually hoping that maybe we'd be a potential trade partner for Sheard, but that didn't happen.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/26/shifting-schemes-cleveland-browns-switch-to-3-4/

NFL | Reports: Browns moving to 3-4 defense - Rotoworld.com

The rumors of them trying to find a trade partner for Jabal Sheard are due to the fact that he doesn't project well at all as a fit into their new 3-4.

He isn't really an OLB, and yet he's not a DE either.

The draft selection of B.Mingo also went hand in hand with their move, as did the free agency acquisitions of Desmond Bryant (inside pressure for subpackages), and Paul Kruger--who will be a full time LB.

That may be true but between Sheard being a better 4-3 end and the fact that Mingo is going to be out of position as a 3-4 OLB, their strength lies within the inside Rubin-Taylor at DT and Jackson at MLB. They will have to utilize the speed and athleticism of the guys that they have while utilizing Groves at strong side linebacker.

Either way - Spikes is just not a good match for the Browns because of guys like Groves and Jackson who if they were going to run 3-4 sets would be the inside linebackers and a combination of Kruger, Sheard and Mingo at OLB. That team is still a mess....

That may be true but between Sheard being a better 4-3 end and the fact that Mingo is going to be out of position as a 3-4 OLB, their strength lies within the inside Rubin-Taylor at DT and Jackson at OLB. They will have to utilize the speed and athleticism of the guys that they have while utilizing Groves at strong side linebacker.

Either way - the Browns are just not a good match for the Browns because of guys like Groves and Jackson who if they were going to run 3-4 sets would be the inside linebackers and a combination of Kruger, Sheard and Mingo at OLB. That team is still a mess....

I agree. They'll have their work cut out for them, but they didn't really have a choice as there was nowhere to go but up :cool:

I provided a couple of links in the post above yours to check out if you wish. The hiring of Horton and their offseason moves were definitely made in a move back to a 3-4, although it may take another year before they see good enough results.

All in all though, drafting Mingo and going out and snagging a few other players probably made the transition a little easier and quicker than maybe we'd have expected.

I actually hope that they compete a little more with PIT, CIN, and BAL.

I agree. They'll have their work cut out for them, but they didn't really have a choice as there was nowhere to go but up :cool:

I provided a couple of links in the post above yours to check out if you wish. The hiring of Horton and their offseason moves were definitely made in a move back to a 3-4, although it may take another year before they see good enough results.

All in all though, drafting Mingo and going out and snagging a few other players probably made the transition a little easier and quicker than maybe we'd have expected.

I actually hope that they compete a little more with PIT, CIN, and BAL.

I guess that makes sense. I still think that they are going to run a bit more flex despite the 3-4 label because of the personnel grouping...

Belichick is an innovator and he also knows it's a copy cat league.

He took the fast paced no huddle in the NFL to a new level last year and the year before. He thrived by finding an exploitable matchup and trapping that matchup on the field.

I bet he's scared that some teams, like Denver and Buffalo, will be copy catting and attacking the middle with the pass and trapping a helpless Spikes on the field. I have a feeling Bill, knowing he'll be facing the beast he created, will want a Back 7 that is an unexploitable as possible which means only having one dimensional players out there in certain circumstances. Face it, as much as I love Spikes, it he were on the other team you KNOW the Patriots would be spreading out and making him cover the RB and TE in vain.

Belichick is an innovator and he also knows it's a copy cat league.

He took the fast paced no huddle in the NFL to a new level last year and the year before. He thrived by finding an exploitable matchup and trapping that matchup on the field.

I bet he's scared that some teams, like Denver and Buffalo, will be copy catting and attacking the middle with the pass and trapping a helpless Spikes on the field. I have a feeling Bill, knowing he'll be facing the beast he created, will want a Back 7 that is an unexploitable as possible which means only having one dimensional players out there in certain circumstances. Face it, as much as I love Spikes, it he were on the other team you KNOW the Patriots would be spreading out and making him cover the RB and TE in vain.

Brilliant thoughts.

I think this is a great point, and would go hand in hand with the thought that most of us have in "he'll offer Spikes something, but not close to what Spikes will want..."

In other words, I'm sure Belichick still values some of the traits that Spikes brings to the defense, and he is a good 2 down run stopper--so there will likely be an offer, just likely not one that will keep Spikes around past this season.

I think this might be Spikes' last year. I think BB drafted him knowing who he was, but hoping he'd develop a more well rounded skillset. Instead, he came into the league as a raw but brutal physical presence in the middle with little to no coverage skills, and hasn't done much to evolve beyond that.

If he stays that way this year, the Patriots move on. If he makes a leap into a good all around LB, he likely leaves for more money elsewhere.

The only reason spikes leaves is if krafty and belichick decide they don't want to pay him and they replace him with some guy out of the crable/Cunningham mold....which is garbage

I think that if Spikes got caught on the field against Peyton Manning or some other field general that could run a hurry up offense at will, he would end up blitzing a lot or bumping receivers off their routes.

However, I doubt very much that Spikes would be on the field in a situation that would throw him into a coverage role....I really like Spikes a lot. He is a solid player and a turnover machine.

Before people rush Spikes out the door, isn't he kind of similar to what T. Johnson was? You wanted Phifer/Bruschi on the field for passing downs and T. Johnson was our run stopper back in the day. Not much difference in Spikes. Hopefully but doubtfully he realizes that and signs according to value. Probably not gonna happen, of course.

Like other said, the guy can't cover a lick but he's great to have against the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News