PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes - maybe a little writing on the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before people rush Spikes out the door, isn't he kind of similar to what T. Johnson was? You wanted Phifer/Bruschi on the field for passing downs and T. Johnson was our run stopper back in the day. Not much difference in Spikes. Hopefully but doubtfully he realizes that and signs according to value. Probably not gonna happen, of course.

Like other said, the guy can't cover a lick but he's great to have against the run.

It is a very different game now than when Ted Johnson played. The luxury of having 1st down players who focus on the run and then subbing them out if you are successful in creating second/third and long is evaporating, as noted in prior posts. That's the problem the team and Spikes face, despite his asset as an intimidating run stopper.

I think that there is a roster spot for a 1st down run and short yardage stopper. There are even 2-3 roster spots for such players. The issue is whether Spikes will accept the role and compensation associated with such a role. After all, Love is a solid 1st down and short yardage player.

It is a very different game now than when Ted Johnson played. The luxury of having 1st down players who focus on the run and then subbing them out if you are successful in creating second/third and long is evaporating, as noted in prior posts. That's the problem the team and Spikes face, despite his asset as an intimidating run stopper.

Unless some team is willing to give up a #1 pick in 2014 for Brandon,there is no chance that Spikes is going anywhere else until his contract expires IMO.

Besides,I would bet that our rushing defense rank would take a major hit this year if he was let go.

Spikes will be a free agent after this season. Folks are focusing on the likelihood that he will be on the 2014 roster.

Unless some team is willing to give up a #1 pick in 2014 for Brandon,there is no chance that Spikes is going anywhere else until his contract expires IMO.

Besides,I would bet that our rushing defense rank would take a major hit this year if he was let go.

I think this might be Spikes' last year. I think BB drafted him knowing who he was, but hoping he'd develop a more well rounded skillset. Instead, he came into the league as a raw but brutal physical presence in the middle with little to no coverage skills, and hasn't done much to evolve beyond that.

If he stays that way this year, the Patriots move on. If he makes a leap into a good all around LB, he likely leaves for more money elsewhere.

Mayo is actually pretty average in coverage too...lets do away with him :ugh:

It will all come down to money. The Patriots will have a price, Spikes will have a price, the fans will more than likely accuse the Patriots of low balling yet 'another' player :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: and then Belichick and Kraft will chastised when a team who is desperate for a MLB snaps him up at a vastly over priced pay packet.

I really hope we keep him. He was the stand out player on defence all last season for me...made a huge leap forwards.

I'll leave the business next year to the front office, but...Spikes is hardly a plodding run stopper that offers little else. Our pass coverage is going to evolve as the secondary and linebacker personnel improve and become more coordinated.

Spikes is a playmaker and outstanding intimidator. He has his limitations like anyone else, but we would be missing something we couldn't easily get back.

I think Spikes will have a good year - I do not expect him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back