PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes and his ADHD meds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of those who think the suspension for PEDs should be less than that for illicit drugs are letting their Patriot fandom overrule sense.

I believe the average NFL fan does not believe there should be a severe penalty for the use of "recreational" drugs. Why should they, probably half of NFL fans have used them themselves.

But ask the average fan if PEDs are OK, and I think most will say absolutely not.

This is another case of "anything Goodell/the league does must be bad just because."

I think some of those who think the suspension for PEDs should be less than that for illicit drugs are letting their Patriot fandom overrule sense.

I believe the average NFL fan does not believe there should be a severe penalty for the use of "recreational" drugs. Why should they, probably half of NFL fans have used them themselves.

But ask the average fan if PEDs are OK, and I think most will say absolutely not.

This is another case of "anything Goodell/the league does must be bad just because."

I agree with most of this. I personally don't care about recreational drugs, as long as they don't endanger the public or cause performance issues on the field. If I'm understanding this story correctly, my problem with these developments are the league's approach to the previously banned substance after handing out Spikes' suspension. Some retroactive alteration of Spikes' suspension should have been in order (a little late now), because unless the league did a kneejerk reaction with regard to this substance, they were probably looking at taking it off the list even before the suspension.

Adderall, Ritalin, Provigil - they're all like academic PED's. Like "little blue pills" for the cognitive mind. I could see where a professional athlete would find the stuff useful. Particularly someone trying to grasp all of the intricacies of a new defensive system. And it's not very difficult to get an ADD diagnosis just to get the "helper" prescription. The irony, though, is that, if he was really taking it, he shouldn't be overlooking these small but important details like league notification.

You do not know his medical history and never will, but his ADHD could have been a life long issue...

Most youngsters I know tend to shun their ADHD meds as well as their dx when they enter adulthood, some go back and some find other ways to cope..

Mayo nearly slipped up and can and could have landed someone in trouble. He said Spikes has been watching film then said TV film as an after thought.
Who here thinks Spikes has been on his own without any help in learning stuff during this time off?

This is silly conjecture....Happy New Year.

Quick question: When Spikes comes back, doesn't that mean they have to cut someone else? IIRC, Moore came along because of the suspension; he's been pretty good.

Tapegate now, watch pats get a 500k fine and lose a 1st round pick. Jets will probably be the one to report it.

Quick question: When Spikes comes back, doesn't that mean they have to cut someone else? IIRC, Moore came along because of the suspension; he's been pretty good.
Not Moore.

From Miguel's page:
# December 10 - Brandon Spikes was suspended by the NFL for the last 4 regular season games. Signed defensive back Chevis Jackson to the 53-man roster.
# December 3 - Waived Pierre Woods. Signed defensive lineman Eric Moore to the 53-man roster.
But yes, we need to clear a spot. Any week 17 injuries might factor in, too.

I'm going to be honest. The current rules in the CBA for Illicit drugs vs. "PEDS" are backwards.. People who test positive for Illicit drugs get a slap on the wrist by comparison to the ones who take "PEDS".

I really hope they fix that in the next CBA.

Actually, the current distinction makes perfect sense to me: it's a matter of "conduct unbecoming the league" vs. "cheating."

The integrity of competition is, at the end of the day, more essential to the league's ongoing health than good off-field behavior by players. Kevin Faulk getting caught with a joint in his pocket was embarrassing, but no competitive advantage was to be gained by his toking up.

You do not know his medical history and never will, but his ADHD could have been a life long issue...

Most youngsters I know tend to shun their ADHD meds as well as their dx when they enter adulthood, some go back and some find other ways to cope..

He said at the Combine that he had ADD and was taking medicine for it.

Actually, the current distinction makes perfect sense to me: it's a matter of "conduct unbecoming the league" vs. "cheating."

The integrity of competition is, at the end of the day, more essential to the league's ongoing health than good off-field behavior by players. Kevin Faulk getting caught with a joint in his pocket was embarrassing, but no competitive advantage was to be gained by his toking up.

But then again neither was getting caught taking your ADHD meds the league knew you took without specifically clearing them given in fact they are clearable and have now been. That should not be punishable at the same level as using PEDS that are illegal or unprescribed as well as physically performance enhancing. Kinda like the starcaps BS where the league knew something and failed to warn players preferring to catch them making the mistake...

BTW, none of those guys has ever served the ridiculous suspensions imposed on them and as a result of the suits they filed and won and the league has an ongoing problem imposing it's rules on anyone who wants to fight them in a state with rules that prohibit that as a result...

He said at the Combine that he had ADD and was taking medicine for it.

My point, there were several amongst us who assumed it was for recreational drug use..not to help him focus.

My point, there were several amongst us who assumed it was for recreational drug use..not to help him focus.

Ah... gotcha! thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes