Welcome to PatsFans.com

Speculation:Patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed with a 5 million/yr contract

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by KDPPatsfan85, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +136 / 5 / -8

#51 Jersey

Per Rotoworld...

Would you give Ed Reed 5 mil a year?

2. tonyto3690

tonyto3690 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Speculation:patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed

Not surprising. Byrd and Moore were never realistic options. Both will get either a mega deal or a franchise tag. He is the best real option on the market with the Ravens likely to let him walk as Flacco tries to be the next Reed/Lewis (LOL) and they have to let a bunch of talent go that was essential to their title run.

Man I can't say I wouldn't rather have a "in the bank" superbowl, but we have a real shot on winning the next four as favorites while the Ravens build around Joe Flacco.

As for Reed, he's the best option like I stated, but I think people need to realize he's no where near where he was at his peek. He's not going to be 2004 Rodney. Hopefully he can be a slightly better 2012 McCourty.

3. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +243 / 7 / -1

#12 Jersey

Re: Speculation:patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed with a 5 million/yr cont

:mad: This better not be true, and Hell no, I would not pay him $5 million a year.
    Don't get me wrong, Ed Reed is a good player, but at this point in his career, he is not worth $5 million a year IMHO.

4. Claremonster

Claremonster Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

Re: Speculation:patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed with a 5 million/yr cont

His mentoring and defensive knowledge would be worth it, all by itself.

5. Joey007

Joey007 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +120 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Hey, at least now we have the leverage to do so cap-wise.

6. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 33 / -5

So, during the time that Reed is negotiating with BALT, someone is leaking out offers. I suspect the same is happening regarding Welker.

7. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 14 / -5

#51 Jersey

I'm not a huge supporter of the Sign Ed Reed campaign but you're also buying a name and reputation. In my mind, perception carries a heavy weight in the minds of players.

8. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

if $5M per year means $3M in the first year and 7 in the 2nd year, which becomes 0 once cut next February... then fine.

9. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,313 / 7 / -19

#61 Jersey

Sometimes I wonder a bit about BB falling in love with certain guys (re., Ochocinco). Maybe two or three years ago throwing $$$ at Ed Reed would've made sense, but you've got to wonder what he has left. I hope the report is false.

10. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +909 / 9 / -4

#95 Jersey

Would i like it? No

Are the going to do it? Probably

Oh well

11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,863 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

What? Was John Lynch unavailable?

12. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

Re: Speculation:patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed

"Build around Joe Flacco?"

I think you may be underestimating Baltimore's tendency to be playoff contenders just about every year, while getting caught up in the media hype that surrounds the misconception that the Ravens will absolutely be gutting their team.

We have no idea if they will retain Reed or not, or what route they'll take in trying to keep certain players there, but I think that Flacco, T.Smith, Pitta, Boldin, and Ray Rice will still prove to be a formidable foe on offense. On defense they still have a handful of names to remain quite competitive including Ngata, A.Jones, Upshaw, Suggs, Pollard, Webb, etc.

I would imagine that they'll be doing their best to retain either Kruger or Reed. Ellerbe is a good player but he isn't vital to their future success, as every team loses a handful of good players just about every single year. I wouldn't even think twice about losing Jacoby Jones if it came down to it.

You may be expecting a lot more change as opposed to what will actually happen. There are plenty of teams who will have to get creative in terms of cap flexibility, and some of these players may be giving up some discounts to remain there. I think they'll lose a few players, but I'm not seeing the huge gutting of the team either.

13. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

The ball seems to find Reed. We are a team that has always had turnover differential as the secret to our success. To be sure, Reed's picks are down in the last couple of years, but you know he's basically good for at least one every four games or so, which a much higher upside.

14. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +909 / 9 / -4

#95 Jersey

reed knows where to be on the field at the perfect time. why the ball finds him

15. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

It's funny that we saw most of the fanbase clamor all off-season about the potential to land a guy like Reed, but they suddenly think that 5 million dollars is going to be too steep and that he'll want to turn town all other offers (including the potential to retire a Raven) just to come and play for the Patriots???

Not sure what kind of money they were expecting him to cost, but the better safeties in this league are making 7 million+ aav, so I'm seeing 5 million as a price that would need to be met for sure, but one that is fair considering his age. I suppose the posters wanted to see a deal that would bring him here for 3-4 million, lol? That isn't going to happen unless he somehow agrees to a hometown discount to retire a Raven. He isn't leaving Baltimore for less than 5 million dollars this season if it's a one year deal.

For the record, I'd much rather see the position addressed both now and for the future instead of just a one year band-aid, but that's irrelevant. If that's the direction they choose to go then it should still benefit the team.

16. PATS68

PATS68 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +32 / 6 / -1

#87 Jersey

Well the first three words of the Rotoworld post tells me everything I need to know. "League sources believe". Who are these people and where are they getting their info. from. We all know that Pats don't give out jack for info.

Tells me that whoever is putting this out there is throw it against the wall and hoping it sticks!

17. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +136 / 5 / -8

#51 Jersey

Exactly why I put "Speculation," to me, nothing is guaranteed until it really happens! Would I want Ed Reed on the Patriots? It depends on how much gas he has left in the tank and thats if he doesnt resign with the Ravens.

18. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +866 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

Actually this is related to my post and his visit here the other day. Rotoworld usually isn't a "source". They just print excerpts from articles. In this case, they left out some pretty important context.

This is a from a much longer Bedard article, a breakdown of needs. Notice my excerpt starts out different than rotoworlds

Patriots offseason primer: After Ravens loss, expect a frenzy - Patriots - Boston.com

Quite a bit different, eh? It's hard to tell what they want from that. Apparently there are conflicting opinions among "sources" and/or Bedard.

19. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,112 / 32 / -51

No Jersey Selected

McCourty was solid at safety in 2012, but Ed Reed is still better than any option we had back there last year. Still, I'd rather go into next season with a McCourty and Elam/Vaccarro/Swearinger combo.

20. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +697 / 3 / -13

#12 Jersey

Isn't it against the law to exhume the deceased?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.