PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dennard about to reach incentives that will raise his 2015 contract by $1 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsfanin Philly

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If I’m reading this correctly, with another 49 snaps, Alfonzo Dennard will meet incentives that will raise his 4th year salary (2015) by nearly $1 million. It’s part of the newest CBA for players who “outplay their contract” and if they play 35% of the snaps over three years, their 4th year contract rises to a certain level. Dennard has nearly reached those benchmarks in his second year....

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf
Article 7
[FONT=&quot]Section 4. (page 28 of CBA) page 42 on Adobe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proven Performance Escalator:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For players who were drafted in the 3rd to 7th round, if their playing time exceeds 35% of a team’s snaps in 2 of their first three years or an average of 35% over the first three years of their contract, then their 4th year contract rises to the level of a RFA.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] >>>>>[/FONT]c)
Qualifiers.
An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance
Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his
Club’s
offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or
(2) he
participated in a “cumulative average” of at least 35% of his Club’s offensive or
defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. “Cumulative average” means
the
sum of the total number of offensive or defensive plays in which the player participated
over the applicable seasons, divided by the sum of the Club’s offensive or defensive
plays during the same seasons. (By way of example, if a player participates in
600 of the
Club’s 1,000 offensive plays in his first season, 290 of the Club’s 1,000 plays in his
second season, and 310 of the Club’s 1,000 plays in his third season for a total of 1,200
plays out of a possible 3,000, the cumulative average would equal 4
0%)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[FONT=&quot]---------------------------------[/FONT]

Alfonzo Dennard Fantasy Stats | RotoWire Fantasy Football
Defensive Snaps in 2013
Alfonzo Dennard was on the field for 628 of the team's snaps on defense in 2013.
Add that to the 583 snaps he played in 2012 and he has played 1211 snaps so far…

Assuming a total of 1200 total defensive snaps per year or 3600 total, a player would need to play 1260 snaps over three years to rise to the qualifying level. For Dennard, he would need to play only 49 more snaps over the next year plus of 21 games…

Per Rotoworld, his contract is scheduled to be $660,000 in 2015. With the added snaps, his 2015 contract would rise to approximately $1.5 million or more. The RFA was $1.323 million in 2013 and since it will rise 5-10% in each of the next few years so it could range from $1,46-1.60 million.
2013 NFL Restricted Free Agent Tender Amounts Announced | Steelers Depot
Since rookie contracts can’t be renegotiated until the end of year three, it is likely that he will have a new contract by them. If not , he will get a nearly $1 million raise.

Re: Is Dennard about to reach incentives that will raise his 2015 contract by $1 mill

If I’m reading this correctly, with another 49 snaps, Alfonzo Dennard will meet incentives that will raise his 4th year salary (2015) by nearly $1 million.

Yes and no.

Barring a bizarre set of circumstances, he's already earned that raise.

2012: 583 snaps [53%]
2013: 628 snaps so far [78%]

Unless the Pats somehow play another 1,000 or so snaps in the next five games, Dennard isn't going to fall below the 35% threshold.

[For the record, the 35% average rule is to reward players who have one "hot" season and then two "cold" ones, e.g., what might happen to Chris Jones come 2014 and 2015.]

Re: Is Dennard about to reach incentives that will raise his 2015 contract by $1 mill

Yes and no.

Barring a bizarre set of circumstances, he's already earned that raise.

2012: 583 snaps [53%]
2013: 628 snaps so far [78%]

Didn't think of it that way. Luckily the Pats have him under contract (I almost wrote "locked up") for another year and can't renegotiate until after 2014 per the CBA.....

Didn't think of it that way. Luckily the Pats have him under contract (I almost wrote "locked up") for another year and can't renegotiate until after 2014 per the CBA.....

Even if they have to renegotiate, ~$1.5M isn't a ridiculous salary for 2015.

I hope so, he's earned every dime.

And may need the money for legal fees.

I hope so, he's earned every dime.

And may need the money for legal fees.

Yes, I don't think anyone could argue he hasn't earned it. I think he has far exceeded the expectations.

Yes, it is true.

The Pats have 16 draft picks eligible for the proven performance
3 Stevan Ridley RB Louisiana State
3 Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
5 Marcus Cannon T Texas Christian
5 Lee Smith TE Marshall
6 Markell Carter LB Central Arkansas
7 Malcolm Williams DB Texas Christian
3 Jake Bequette DE Arkansas
6 Nate Ebner DB Ohio State
7 Alfonzo Dennard DB Nebraska
7 Jeremy Ebert WR Northwestern
3 Logan Ryan DB Rutgers
3 Duron Harmon DB Rutgers
5 Josh Boyce WR Texas Christian
6 Michael Buchanan DE Illinois
7 Steve Beauharnais LB Rutgers

As of now, Dennard and Ryan are on pace to earn it.

Ridley played in 14% of the snaps in 2011, 44% in 2012, and 32% so far in 2013.
Cannon played in 7 games in 2011, 14% of the snaps in 2012 and 43% so far in 2013

Does anyone know how many snaps Cannon played in 2011?

Bequette played in 3% of the snaps in 2012, 2% of the snaps in 2013.
Ebner played in 3% of the snaps in 2012, 0% of the snaps in 2013.
Dennard played in 53% of the snaps in 2012, 78% of the snaps in 2013.
Ryan has played in 41% of the snaps in 2013
Harmon has played in 32% of the snaps in 2013
Boyce has played in 6% of the snaps in 2013
Buchanan has played in 13% of the snaps in 2013
Beauharnais has played in 0% of the snaps in 2013

Cannon played in 7 games in 2011, 14% of the snaps in 2012 and 43% so far in 2013

175 per Oliver Thomas citing footballoutsiders.com (behind a paywall for premium content)

Breaking Down Marcus Cannon?s Fit in New England | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

Yes, it is true.

The Pats have 16 draft picks eligible for the proven performance
3 Stevan Ridley RB Louisiana State
3 Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
5 Marcus Cannon T Texas Christian
5 Lee Smith TE Marshall
6 Markell Carter LB Central Arkansas
7 Malcolm Williams DB Texas Christian
3 Jake Bequette DE Arkansas
6 Nate Ebner DB Ohio State
7 Alfonzo Dennard DB Nebraska
7 Jeremy Ebert WR Northwestern
3 Logan Ryan DB Rutgers
3 Duron Harmon DB Rutgers
5 Josh Boyce WR Texas Christian
6 Michael Buchanan DE Illinois
7 Steve Beauharnais LB Rutgers

As of now, Dennard and Ryan are on pace to earn it.

Shouldn't Chris Jones be on that list, and on pace, since he's never cleared waivers?

Shouldn't Chris Jones be on that list, and on pace, since he's never cleared waivers?

No, 1st and 2nd rounders, as well as UDFAs aren't eligible. I believe it was a compromise between the NFLPA that wanted 3 year contracts as a max and the owners who wanted 4 yr deals....

No, 1st and 2nd rounders, as well as UDFAs aren't eligible. I believe it was a compromise between the NFLPA that wanted 3 year contracts as a max and the owners who wanted 4 yr deals....

Jones was a sixth-round pick for the Texans.

Jones was a sixth-round pick for the Texans.

My bad. I wonder if it only applies to their original (one with Houston) contract. I didn't read the CBA close enough as I wanted to stay awake for the Pats game.....Or perhaps he should be on the list..

Yes, as well as Chris White. Good catch!!!

There is no way that Dennard is being benched to save a few hundred thou against the cap. What are we going to do, bench him for the the rest of his regular season games this year and next?

The Pats have 16 draft picks and 2 players claimed on waivers eligible for the proven performance escalator
3 Stevan Ridley RB
3 Ryan Mallett QB
5 Marcus Cannon T
5 Lee Smith TE
6 Markell Carter LB
6 Chris White LB
7 Malcolm Williams DB
3 Jake Bequette DE
6 Nate Ebner DB
7 Alfonzo Dennard DB
7 Jeremy Ebert WR
3 Logan Ryan DB
3 Duron Harmon DB
5 Josh Boyce WR
6 Chris Jones DT
6 Michael Buchanan DE
7 Steve Beauharnais LB

As of now, Dennard , Chris Jones, and Ryan are on pace to earn it.

Bequette played in 3% of the snaps in 2012, 2% of the snaps in 2013.
Ebner played in 3% of the snaps in 2012, 0% of the snaps in 2013.
Dennard played in 53% of the snaps in 2012, 78% of the snaps in 2013.
Ryan has played in 41% of the snaps in 2013
Harmon has played in 32% of the snaps in 2013
Boyce has played in 6% of the snaps in 2013
Buchanan has played in 13% of the snaps in 2013
Beauharnais has played in 0% of the snaps in 2013
Chris White has played in 0% of the defensive snaps in 2012, 1% of the defensive snaps in 2013.
Chris Jones has played in 62% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

Yes, as well as Chris White. Good catch!!!

I didn't bother mentioning him, because White, as a ST-only player the last two years, is clearly ineligible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back