PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Mawae to Pats! Say it ain't so, Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyJohnson said:
Given that he has said its not about the money, my tune may change.

Here is what I'd like to see if Mawae can fit.

Move Koppen to G (Im sure he can make that adjustment)

Draft an OL in round 1, or 2 is OK I guess, I dont care if its a G or T

We will go into this year with:

Light-Mankins-Mawae-Koppen-Kaczur

Backed up by
Hochstein, the rookie, Gorin, etc

With Hochstein here, and a rookie stud, we have injury insurance.
Koppen, IMO, is not in the long term plan whether by his choice or the teams. (Just a feeling)

We should draft a C on day 2 to groom.
We are set at OL long term with the exception of the rookie becoming a player, and C only being short term, but that should not be tough to correct down the road.

That OL,IMO, would be a big upgrade over last year, with rookies having a year under their belt, and injured guys back. The depth is very exciting too.

We can draft a T rather than G, because all of our young OL have position flexibility.

One disagreement. Koppen stays at center and Kevin M goes to guard. Kevin has always had trouble with the shotgun snap and Tom likes to use it.

Last edited:
This discussion is reminiscent of Lou Gorman's "where would we play him" comment about ... hmm ... I can't remember who he was talking about, but whoever it was was really good! (*)

Anyway, assuming

a) he is fully recovered from the triceps tear
b) he hasn't lost a lot off his fastball and
c ) is not looking to break the bank (as he says),

I would love to have this guy. He is a monster both in pass blocking and run blocking, and would bring veteran leadership to a still relatively young oline.

* edit: it was Willie McGee, a lifetime .295 hitter despite hanging on too long and hitting .250 his last 2 seasons.

Last edited:
I agree.....although I do think there's a chance to get Neal back..and he has a strong upside...although I would not throw large bucks to keep him. Again, I think BB knows best..as well as DS. Light, Mankins, Mawae, Koppen and Kaczur might be pretty strong.,,with Hochstein, Gorin and ????? Yes, I do think we could draft 2 linemen, but I won't overlook others they are developing. They also have Ross Tucker who seems versatile as well as Mruczkowski and Yates, who may step it up into solid backups. Add in possibles Krug, Britt, Roehl and Steitz, and that has to be a promising situation. If they think any of these 7 can get into the mix, drafting a player might occur at a lower round...depending.
I do agree Mawae might be a Harrison equal on offense..and the line needs that sort of meanness and edge play. It also seems like he's less about the money and more about winning..so??? Sign him up!!
Koppen is sort of a mystery in some ways. It seems like his injury may have been worse..but even before that, I also remember hearing how at FA he was thinking about returning to PA...Eagles???

There was some scuttlebutt a few weeks ago that Koppen's injury may have been a lot worse and therefore more of a concern going forward than initially assumed. He was also not believed to be a home town discount kind of guy. I'd also rather see Mawae here than in front of Brees in Miami.

It's odd that Mangini cut him with so little cap at stake, so either he felt he was slipping or he was a disgruntled vet Eric felt he couldn't count on in transition. If he was the source of the fragile as an egg comment he is obviously a bright guy, but I still don't like the behind the scenes finger pointing. Frustration is understandable for a core JETS player, but you don't agitate in the background before the new regime coaches it's first practice.

I'm in the we need to ramp up that Oline camp, so I'll trust Belioli on this call.

The Pat's really didn't recover from cutting Joe Andruzzi who likely would have made a big difference running the ball last season.

Wasnt Koppens injury a broken arm? That doesn't seem like an injury with any question in recovery

Was Koppen's injury career threatening too? I know they were concerned that Matt Light's leg injury could be worse than first thought.

AndyJohnson said:
Wasnt Koppens injury a broken arm? That doesn't seem like an injury with any question in recovery

I thought he seperated his shoulder, or dislocated it. I don't remember hearing of it being a break. Who knows though. Either way on Koppen, I'd love to have Mawae. He's like Harrison, you probably hate him until he's on your team.
And even if he WAS the one to call Penny out for being a wimp, can you really blame him? It's just the truth. Penny's a sissygirl.

fgssand said:
This signing would be AWESOME - do you think Denver's O line will be so quick to cut the legs off of Seymour knowing that their own "D" would have to face a ticked off Kevin Mawae.

Are you kidding me?? Sign him up!!!

Forgetting my personal bias against him, let's also remember he is 35 years old and coming off an injury...

Hoping the Pats steer wide of this guy...

ADPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes