PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Mawae to Pats! Say it ain't so, Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't kow that Piloli had a big say in Mawae going to NY. If Koppen can play Guard (can he ? I assume he can as he's always good getting out on screens) well, this is a no-brainer at the right price. Is Mawae a nice guy ? Probably not but the middle of the OL isn't a place for nice guys.

At least we wouldn't have to worry about Seymour's knees anymore. Except in practice.

say it aint so?!? i dunno man, are you loosing your marbles..i would welcome this big fellow to the middle of our OL with no regrets,second thoughts or anything...if your gonna call what mawae does "cheap" than you gotta put harrison in the same category...no ifs and or buts...but we all love rodney dont we..hes just very "passionate" for the game-I am sure mawae is too. Bring on mawae..mankins..light...oh god...** jumping for joy**

This signing would be AWESOME - do you think Denver's O line will be so quick to cut the legs off of Seymour knowing that their own "D" would have to face a ticked off Kevin Mawae.

Are you kidding me?? Sign him up!!!

NY rumor mill has it that Eric Mangia cut him because he was the leak, the guy who said to the press that Penny was as "fragile as an egg back there".

Last edited:
have no fears etheir, i am sure we work something out with willie..if not hey, i know it sucks to lose such a class act (minus playoff sideline meltdown), such a force and true patriot in every sense of the word..but if management wants to get younger at his poistion and doesnt see the need to give him the money hes asking for..theres not much else u can do except let the man test the waters..but dont get it confused, i want him to stay as bad as u do.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=129670

They're gonna sign this cheap shot scumbag!

No thanks!

ADPF

(Please resign Willie Mc!)

That rap on Mawae is not substantiated. IMO.

The injury to Ted W. he apologized for and sounded sincere. The injury
to Seymour was also a freak thing ... can't see how anyone could say
it was intentional.
I would like to have him as a PATs Center. Next to Logan I think they
could some good things.

What to do with Koppen? The only way I could see Mawae coming is if
Koppen is hurt worst than has been reported or if Koppen can play RG.

If PATs let Neal leave via FA and Koppen can play RG then Mawae could be
a possibility.

I dont think this is a Patriot type FA signing. Mawae is near the end of his career and coming off and injury.
It seems to sign Mawae you would have to pay what he WAS worth, not what he is worth today and in the future, which in his case means overpaying.

We have needs to fill. One of them is G. We also need WRs, and some additions in the secondary, plus a kicker.

We have enough cap room to fill these spots with good players, but not enough to miss badly. Spending big on Mawae to have him on the sidelines by October, or to see he is declining, would be a mistake IMO.

Very good player, but he is at the point in his career where he is getting worse not better, and I am fearful the decline is coming fast.

PatsWickedPissah said:
NY rumor mill has it that Eric Mangia cut him because he was the leak, the guy who said to the press that Penny was as "fragile as an egg back there".
That's another positive, he knows what the hell he's talking about :D

PatsWickedPissah said:
I understand you don't want to throw a team mate under the bus, but IF true, he was hardly going out on a limb there. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

AndyJohnson said:
It seems to sign Mawae you would have to pay what he WAS worth, not what he is worth today and in the future, which in his case means overpaying.
It seems. But in the article he says he's already had two big contracts and sounds more interested in winning. Which suggested that he may take a Patriot style contract.

BelichickFan said:
It seems. But in the article he says he's already had two big contracts and sounds more interested in winning. Which suggested that he may take a Patriot style contract.

"My goal is not to break the bank,†Mawae said on a conference call Monday. “I’ve done that two times. It’s not about the money, but it’s about winning a championship from this point. I’m going to go to the team that gives me the best chance to win the Super Bowl.â€

Translation: Yo! Pioli .... over here!!

The article doesn't say that signing him here is a sure thing but getting a tough center like Mawae would probably create more space for Dillon to run and more importantly keep Brady from getting hit so much. That's not such a bad thing. Belichickfan got it right too, the middle of the OL is not for nice guys.

Assuming that Koppen comes back and is OK, Kevin M could be switched to guard. That would give us a guy who is "nasty" to replace Neal, if he goes.

I love nasty OL's as long as they wear a Patriots uni.

I hope they take a shot at him...why not?? Would you rahter see him in Mia??
Koppen's injury may have been worse...so..I would consider it a stop gap measure..as other OL may be developed..a vet like that always helps..esp one who is mean. nasty and knows how to play!!

This seems a solid match for us. Mawae is Harrison on offense. We will call him a dirty player until he plays for us.

mgteich said:
This seems a solid match for us. Mawae is Harrison on offense. We will call him a dirty player until he plays for us.

Yup, perspective is often the difference that determines whether one is "dirty" or "mean".

AndyJohnson said:
I dont think this is a Patriot type FA signing. Mawae is near the end of his career and coming off and injury.

We have needs to fill. One of them is G. We also need WRs, and some additions in the secondary, plus a kicker.

We have enough cap room to fill these spots with good players, but not enough to miss badly. Spending big on Mawae to have him on the sidelines by October, or to see he is declining, would be a mistake IMO.

Very good player, but he is at the point in his career where he is getting worse not better, and I am fearful the decline is coming fast.

I thought the exact same thing when I first heard. Then I read the article and his quotes. The guy is practically begging to come here. He would come HERE cheap, if I read between the lines correctly.

Given that he has said its not about the money, my tune may change.

Here is what I'd like to see if Mawae can fit.

Move Koppen to G (Im sure he can make that adjustment)

Draft an OL in round 1, or 2 is OK I guess, I dont care if its a G or T

We will go into this year with:

Light-Mankins-Mawae-Koppen-Kaczur

Backed up by
Hochstein, the rookie, Gorin, etc

With Hochstein here, and a rookie stud, we have injury insurance.
Koppen, IMO, is not in the long term plan whether by his choice or the teams. (Just a feeling)

We should draft a C on day 2 to groom.
We are set at OL long term with the exception of the rookie becoming a player, and C only being short term, but that should not be tough to correct down the road.

That OL,IMO, would be a big upgrade over last year, with rookies having a year under their belt, and injured guys back. The depth is very exciting too.

We can draft a T rather than G, because all of our young OL have position flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back