PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Source: Pats have NOT ruled out bringing Cam back in 2021

Insanity: do the same thing, expect different results.

If they bring Cam back, I might just conclude that they're really not serious about being a football team and that there's no reason, after 55 years, for me to be serious about being a fan of that former team.

I have no idea why there is such obsession re this used-up waste of a roster space. White guilt? A passionate love of ladies' hats? A deep appreciation of the art of the phony excuse and the empty promise? No idea. And No thanks.

I honestly doubt Newton comes back next year. Reality is, the fit just isn't there between the team and Cam. We do not have the personnel on offense to make Newton look good. Every time he goes out there, despite being a starter, he looks awful. Do we really think he wants to go out there and throw for less than 100 yards a game again? Another year of that, and he might not even get a backup job in the NFL.

And yet the outcome would be the same -- a dysfunctional offense -- except we would have had to pay 5x more to keep an unhappy Brady around and delay the rebuild. They made the right choice moving on and took a low risk flyer on a former MVP on an absurdly cheap deal.

Not much to be upset about given where we started last offseason (half of the front 7 leaving, 0 cap space to improve any unit to the point that Harmon had to be moved) or given how we lost some starters and depth players who opted out right before camp.

Last year we were looking at a teardown now we are sitting nicely with 60M in cap space and a mid teens picks and are looking to build.
Tom had to go.
I think the relationship between him and Bill was unrepairable. Bill banning Tom's personal trainer. Bill sitting out Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl vs the Eagles for bascially zero reason irked many.
Bill wanting to keep Jimmy G and trading Brady {which in hindsight now would not have been a bad idea}.
Players were traded Tom relied on like Danny Amendola and a certain extent Hogan. He did not like the handling of Antonio Brown situation.
Rarely recieved compliments from Bill, unlike Newton. You'd swear Bill adopted Newton. lol

Tom had to go.
I think the relationship between him and Bill was unrepairable. Bill banning Tom's personal trainer. Bill sitting out Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl vs the Eagles for bascially zero reason irked many.
Bill wanting to keep Jimmy G and trading Brady {which in hindsight now would not have been a bad idea}.
Players were traded Tom relied on like Danny Amendola and a certain extent Hogan. He did not like the handling of Antonio Brown situation.
Rarely recieved compliments from Bill, unlike Newton. You'd swear Bill adopted Newton. lol
Yeah Brady wasn't the only one irked by that decision.

His rushing tds are not additive. They would be scored by RBs.

But please after the disaster he was on the field explain why you would choose him again, keeping in mind he was only chosen the first time because he was willing to play for the minimum.
What exactly did you see from him that makes you think the patriots can compete for a championship with him at qb?
What I saw was a guy who shouldn’t be in top 50 choices.
You can have Cam and the backs rushing for TDs. It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, if we had a stronger running game, that would only help him. I mean, he rushed for 592 yards and 12 TDs despite defenses knowing he'd run the ball.

And to be fair, I wasn't looking at an instant championship when we got Cam. I did think we'd get in the playoffs, though, and win the east again, even after our opt outs. After everything we got with Brady, I'm not expecting anything except to still be competitive. We might not make another SB run for twenty years. I've accepted it.

Precisely. His running cost us wins that some like to overlook. Seahawks and Bills, then in the game vs Denver he was driving downfield and could not complete a 4th down pass to an open reciever.
I would have rathered Uncle Rico as our starting Qb than Fig Newton.

That final goal line play against the Seahawks would've probably worked if we threw in play action and had Edelman in (to at least make it look like we might throw) instead of shotgun, snap, run. Can't defend him in the Bills or the Broncos game, though.

Tom had to go.

If anything BB should have gotten rid of Guerrero even sooner, when he started to meddle with the strength and conditioning of players. **** that snake oil salesman.

Although it is funny that we have apparently arrived at a point where some bozos are actually calling moving on from the corpse of Hogan some kind of mistake. That is some good comedy.

Also not sure what your issue is with how BB handled the AB situation. He got a chance, blew it and Kraft decided to cut ties. The only thing BB is responsible for is the idea to even attempt to sign AB in the first place.

I agree though that Tom needed to go and am happy that BB made the decision to move forward. But you gotta work on your cognitive biases man, they are showing pretty hard.

Bouncing passes at the feet of wide open receivers has nothing to do with the system. Taking sacks after sacks instead of throwing the ball away has nothing to do with the system.

Who said those things were related to the system? Seriously? My post is correct.

You can have Cam and the backs rushing for TDs. It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, if we had a stronger running game, that would only help him. I mean, he rushed for 592 yards and 12 TDs despite defenses knowing he'd run the ball.

And to be fair, I wasn't looking at an instant championship when we got Cam. I did think we'd get in the playoffs, though, and win the east again, even after our opt outs. After everything we got with Brady, I'm not expecting anything except to still be competitive. We might not make another SB run for twenty years. I've accepted it.

That final goal line play against the Seahawks would've probably worked if we threw in play action and had Edelman in (to at least make it look like we might throw) instead of shotgun, snap, run. Can't defend him in the Bills or the Broncos game, though.
You can have more tds if you don’t have more opportunities. As I said his are not additive.
I just can’t fathom what you saw out of this slug that makes you want him back. He was horrible, I can’t possibly think that anyone would be satisfied with newton. I consider him the worst patriot player to start 15 games in a season in the bb era.

If anything BB should have gotten rid of Guerrero even sooner, when he started to meddle with the strength and conditioning of players. **** that snake oil salesman.

Although it is funny that we have apparently arrived at a point where some bozos are actually calling moving on from the corpse of Hogan some kind of mistake. That is some good comedy.

Also not sure what your issue is with how BB handled the AB situation. He got a chance, blew it and Kraft decided to cut ties. The only thing BB is responsible for is the idea to even attempt to sign AB in the first place.

I agree though that Tom needed to go and am happy that BB made the decision to move forward. But you gotta work on your cognitive biases man, they are showing pretty hard.
My points were not whether I liked them its what Tom thought of them. I did not want AB on our team to begin with and even moreso after I heard the detailed account what he allegedly did to this woman I thought wow, this guy is a **** {going to trial this year} It may have not been important at the time to see Hogans departure but for Tom, Hogan was the deep ball threat. Dude had wheels and got open for those 25+ yard catches and he did produace and made some huuuge catches in the playoffs. Amendola as well.
AB was the replacement. Which he seemed happy about. Unhappy he got cut. Happy again as they are reunited in TB.
He looked like he was trying to get out of a crowded elevator. He actually tripped over a fallen SeaHawk player.
Before the snap I was muttering to myself "please do not sneak it, they're expecting it". Before the snap both backs step out in front of Newton and I thought "uh-oh"...we are screwed.

My points were not whether I liked them its what Tom thought of them. I did not want AB on our team to begin with and even moreso after I heard the detailed account what he allegedly did to this woman I thought wow, this guy is a **** {going to trial this year} It may have not been important at the time to see Hogans departure but for Tom, Hogan was the deep ball threat. Dude had wheels and got open for those 25+ yard catches and he did produace and made some huuuge catches in the playoffs. Amendola as well.
AB was the replacement. Which he seemed happy about. Unhappy he got cut. Happy again as they are reunited in TB.

He looked like he was trying to get out of a crowded elevator. He actually tripped over a fallen SeaHawk player.
Before the snap I was muttering to myself "please do not sneak it, they're expecting it". Before the snap both backs step out in front of Newton and I thought "uh-oh"...we are screwed.

Bolded the operative word.

In the last 2 seasons Chris Hogan has averaged 4.5yards/tgt. That is worse than N'Keal Harry.:eek:

Hogan was cooked as was obvious from the 2018 postseason. 8 catches on 18 targets for 58 yards in 3 games.

I don't see any way the Pats bring Cam back. These leaks are probably just doing Cam a solid to not kick him on the way out of town giving him a better shot to get a job where he can compete for a starting position.

Bolded the operative word.

In the last 2 seasons Chris Hogan has averaged 4.5yards/tgt. That is worse than N'Keal Harry.:eek:

Hogan was cooked as was obvious from the 2018 postseason. 8 catches on 18 targets for 58 yards in 3 games.
Ya, thats kinda of an icky stat at best. Targeted means even if the ball is underthrown or overethrown or thrown away for that matter, the nearest reciever is counted as the targeted reciever. He drops it, its counted as a targeted reciever. Its likely a stat Fantasy guys look at to build their teams. So, meh.

Drew would at least see if coming and would be able to turtle up. Cam never seems to see it coming. Even free rushers from his non-blind side he just stands there and gets blown up.
And Drew would have at least thrown a no look pass over his head.

If you rewatch any New England game started by newton, you will see tons of examples of the following:

1.) receivers running open all over the field and newton ignoring them.
2.) poor throws in the ground in front of, or on the side of perplexed looking receivers.
3.) newton prematurely taking off running instead of going through his read progression.

let’s move newton out of the building and lock the door behind him.

Too bad bringing Cam back would not be 'doing the same thing and expecting something different'

NE would be bringing Cam back with a full off-season and a revamped roster and expecting something different

Two vastly different things

Too bad bringing Cam back would not be 'doing the same thing and expecting something different'

NE would be bringing Cam back with a full off-season and a revamped roster and expecting something different

Two vastly different things
We'd still be stuck with a shade of cam Newton. How is that any different than this year?

Is he going to improve his terrible footwork, mechanics, pocket presence/awareness and be able to hit WR in tight windows?

Is he going to improve his terrible footwork, mechanics, pocket presence/awareness and be able to hit WR in tight windows?
Yes .. like he did yesterday on the TD to Asiasi or the first down rope @ the sticks to Meyers?

Do you know what Cam's Rating was yesterday? It was 127.4

Cam has had 4 games this season of a 100 Rating or better (vs. MIA, vs. BAL, @HOU vs. NYJ)

Cam also had a 94.6 Rating @Seattle

Cam had a 99.0 Rating @NYJ

Cam's Ratings @Buffalo @LAC and @Mia were 81.1 - 87.4 - 86.8

So adding it all up in 9 out of 15 Cam starts, Cam played at least decent and sometimes great ..

If Cam was enabled a full off-season and a better overall roster in '21 he would look better.

Given the circumstances this season for Cam and NE, Cam looked alright .. the lows were really low, but outside of the lows, Cam's Rating in 9 games was fine

Yes .. like he did yesterday on the TD to Asiasi or the first down rope @ the sticks to Meyers?

Cam has had 4 games this season of a 100 Rating or better (vs. MIA, vs. BAL, @HOU vs. NYJ)

So adding it all up in 9 out of 15 Cam starts, Cam played at least decent and sometimes great ..

If Cam was enabled a full off-season and a better overall roster in '21 he would look better.

Given the circumstances this season for Cam and NE, Cam looked alright .. the lows were really low, but outside of the lows, Cam's Rating in 9 games was fine
Hey Cam, nice that you have all this stats put together by your agent but film don't lie. Majority of your passes this season were like a shot putter at intermural games and not a football QB.

Hey Cam, nice that you have all this stats put together by your agent but film don't lie. Majority of your passes this season were like a shot putter at intermural games and not a football QB.
Seeing how his completion % was 65.8 this season, the majority of his passes were fine ..

This is spot on but you will win no arguments here.

A very large part of folks did not want Cam Newton here to start. Some had legitimate points - majority of folks just went off media reports that "he was a quitter, a diva, a cancer, pouts, not a leader , only cares about fashion" - funny how that narrative is now silent. Lucky for them Cam had rough season so they can hang their hats on 15-20 throws that went into the dirt and his bad TD totals.

The same folks who were pounding the table to get the Goat weaponz over the last few seasons (which we didn't do) are now acting as if "everything is fine here, it's not the offense it's cam". You can't win. They have been looking for any reason at all to move on from cam..they'll never admit it. They had their mind made up before the first snap.

I'd watch games (safe and socially distant) with folks who are of that kind. Have coworkers and families/friends who are 100% cam haters since the blackout game - studied their reactions every chance I could. It went something like this:

"Cam can't even throw past 10 yds anymore!!" ::Cam throws 20+ yd pass:: "yeah but that was more on meyers getting open"

"Cam can't even run anymore!!" ::Cam Picks up first down rushing:: 'Yeah but look he had that lane wide open"

"WRs are open Cam just doesn't throw a good ball, he's inaccurate " ::Delivers a nice pass to a WR:: "He has to make the throw it's the NFL, doesn't prove anything"

"Offense is fine! It's Cam he just should retire" Belichick comes out mid season basically saying it's a reset year and they couldn't construct the team like they wanted "Excuses he's making excuses for Cam and plus Bill the GM sucks"

You get it. He'll have to come in and mirror brady in order to win over folks...that's never going to happen. Not an excuse, Cam certainly sucked at points this season. I headed into the season understanding the implications of a short offseason , New reality with Covid, a limited roster in terms of talent....that's not a pass for Cam but legitimate points to take into consideration when reviewing the season.

For some though it's more about what he wears and his personality vs. maybe the chance that with a better offense and more time in the offense he'd improve.

Save your energy.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back