PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sooooooo lets go ahead and say it: Peyton Manning looked like his old self

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it said a lot more about LeBeau than it said about Manning.

just my $.02

Let's wait and do some analysis after week 5 ;) (which is whn Manning comes to Foxboro).

Nobody is going to lok like their "old" self after missing a year of football. Unless you meant Peyton looked old, but I know you mean..back to form.

Nah, I meant old!

This! I've haven't watched a ton of Colts games in the past, but the Manning I saw last night and even in the preseason looked as if he aged considerably since his last regular season game.
The true question is does he still have a deep ball. He had two attempts in the first half, and both of them were just barely if memory serves. If he can't hit the deep ball to keep teams from cheating up and jumping the timing routes good defenses should be able to shut the Broncos down.

One game has Bronco fans ordering Super Bowl tickets. That mind thought will come thundering down when the Broncos are on the road.

Three of their next five are on the road at Atlanta, New England and San Diego.

Their two home games are with Houston and Oakland.

Those five games will tell if the Broncos, with Manning, are a legitimate AFC threat.

I, for one, think not.

One game has Bronco fans ordering Super Bowl tickets. That mind thought will come thundering down when the Broncos are on the road.

Those five games will tell if the Broncos, with Manning, are a legitimate AFC threat.

I, for one, think not.

If they end up better than 3-3 after that, I'll be ready to eat some serious crow.

The odd thing about Peyton that few people seem to be aware of is he never threw a really tight spiral ala Brady. At least not consistently. A lot of his balls looked like wobblers even when they covered the distance or arrived precisely on time and on target. Just like he seldom sets his feet and throws off the balls of his seemingly happy feet.

Yep I agree with this.

I also agree with the OP. IMO, the Broncos with Peyton will be very tough. They actually have a lot of talent on that team.

Yep I agree with this.

I also agree with the OP. IMO, the Broncos with Peyton will be very tough. They actually have a lot of talent on that team.

Exactly.

If this team still had Tebow starting, we would be crossing this game out already but Manning brings another element to the game now.

Peyton Manning looked good last night, better than I had expected against the Steelers stout defense. That Bronocs game is looking better now as Manning has returned.

He looked pretty much like the old Peyton personally.

Thoughts?

He started out a little slow, but I have to grudgingly agree. Hopefully his neck starts to hurt him a little, starting this week. :)

I, for one, think not.

Well, to be fair, there are people here ordering them too! :)

The Broncos will be this years Chargers in the AFC West

They will play well early in the season and then tank it in november and december

Expect something like a 5-2 start and then a 2-7 finish.

7-9 is my guess

The Broncos will be this years Chargers in the AFC West

They will play well early in the season and then tank it in november and december

Expect something like a 5-2 start and then a 2-7 finish.

7-9 is my guess

I can't see this happening with Manning at the helm. He will get better.

The odd thing about Peyton that few people seem to be aware of is he never threw a really tight spiral ala Brady. At least not consistently. A lot of his balls looked like wobblers even when they covered the distance or arrived precisely on time and on target. Just like he seldom sets his feet and throws off the balls of his seemingly happy feet.

Those happy feet are used for timing with Manning. Notice how those happy feet stop and reset as he moves on with his progression from a seemingly covered target. He stomps his feet as a way of a countdown to get in sync with the route his receiver is running. But I do agree with you on the zip of his throws, and I agree with the OP. He looked a lot better than Brady did in Week 1 of 2009 last night. But put it in perspective. He was facing a Steelers defense without James Harrison and Ryan Clark.

This is from a message board on a site called pro football researchers association. And he was taught to keep his feet moving constantly to avoid the kind of plant leg injury Brady suffered. It also theoretically allows Manning to facilitate his quick release because he isn't a long strider and he doesn't have to gather himself as much to be ready to throw.

Categorizing QB throwing motions - Professional Football Researchers Association

Exactly.

If this team still had Tebow starting, we would be crossing this game out already but Manning brings another element to the game now.
They still don't have anything on defense to counter the Pats' TE duo. Even if Manning is playing up to his old standards it'll be hard for him to keep up with the Pats' offense. If he doesn't prove he still has a deep ball I think the Broncos' will have a hard time topping what they did against the Pats last season.

Its not so much Manning....I believe that Broncos OL is not all that good and Manning will not have a lot of time in the pocket.

Peyton had a very solid OL unit for years in Indy with Jeff Saturday leading the group....the Broncos are nowhere near as solid on that line.

And we all know that Manning will be tested when playing out in the cold and snow at home for the last 4-6 home games...no more cushy indoors.

Last edited:

If this was Peyton Manning pre 2010, I would agree. However, I don't think he has the ability at this point in his career to "will" his team to majorly overachieve like he's done in the past.

Last edited:

I'm not saying he will tank, but we haven't seen a lot of evidence to suggest that even barring his health concerns he can 'improve' as the year goes on in one of the toughest weather environments in the entire league. He's never really had to do that.

Starting Sept. 30 here's what he has to do:

v. Oak
@ New England
@ San Diego
bye
v Saints
@ Cincinnati
@ Panthers
v. SD
@ KC
v. TB
@ Oak
@ Baltimore
v. Cleveland
v. KC

that's 10 games in potentially tough outdoors environments and 3 more in mild outdoor environments. That's a stretch he's never had to go through yet in his career and could prove challenging if he is truly having velocity issues. I think it's safe to say that the dome benefactor argument is going to be tested.

Its not so much Manning....I believe that Broncos OL is not all that good and Manning will not have a lot of time in the pocket.

Peyton had a very solid OL unit for years in Indy with Jeff Saturday leading the group....the Broncos are nowhere near as solid on that line.

And we all know that Manning will be tested when playing out in the cold and snow at home for the last 4-6 home games...no more cushy indoors.

Manning has never needed a lot of time in the pocket. He made his OL look better than it was for many years, just as Brady did. Until Polian made it so bad even Manning couldn't cover for it.

If that defense can hold it's own, and his WR's can catch balls and the backs can run just enough he will make Denver a contender. His arm is OK, maybe not in it's prime but better than it was in 2010 due to the nagging disc, and that's all it's ever had to be. It's what goes on behind that ginormous forehead and the skill position weapons he's surrounded with that impacts his game the most.

Manning has never needed a lot of time in the pocket. He made his OL look better than it was for many years, just as Brady did. Until Polian made it so bad even Manning couldn't cover for it.

If that defense can hold it's own, and his WR's can catch balls and the backs can run just enough he will make Denver a contender. His arm is OK, maybe not in it's prime but better than it was in 2010 due to the nagging disc, and that's all it's ever had to be. It's what goes on behind that ginormous forehead and the skill position weapons he's surrounded with that impacts his game the most.

But will Thomas be that guy that Peyton looks for in security as Reggie Wayne was for so many years?,Peyton always had Wayne when things got tough.

BTW: Reggie Wayne was unbelievable yesterday...at his age with 135 Yards and playing with a rookie QB....The guy is still amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back