PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

some will see this as blasphemy, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear with me. There is absolutely nothing more Brady & Belichik need to so to cement their legacy as the GOAT QB/Coach tandem of all time... Unless you are brain damaged like Marshall Faulk, this is no longer in dispute. All that's left is individual accolades.

All the haters can come up with now is Brady made Belichick (look at his record in Cleveland!) or Belichick made Brady (he's a system QB! The pats went 11-5 with Matt Freakin' Casssell!). So its time to break them up and build their legacies on their own. Consider:

Brady is a So. Cal boy, Montana was his hero, his mom (in California) has cancer. He's taken below-market contracts for years. With his buy-in, trade him to the 49ers for a king's ransom, with a pre-agreed contract to pay him the money the GOAT QB deserves. He gets to be paid like he should, be near his mom, Giselle gets to be in a place better for her career, and he gets to add to his legacy by getting a sorry franchise out of the dumpster.

The 49ers sell tickets, because this is a major PR coup... they also don't have much at QB at the moment.

Jimmy G gets the reins and Belichick will prove his greatness by bringing a championship to the Pats without Brady.. the trade compensation will help this (two #1s plus maybe more from a high-picking crappy team?). Belichick wins (or goes deep into the tournament with Jimmy, proves again his incredible skill, and turns over the team to his successor.

Kraft gets his franchise QB for the next decade... you know he must be thinking beyond the GOATs for what the next 10-12 years will bring. Certainly Jonathan is. It must eat at him that we have a potential star QB that he invested in, coached by Belichik, and mentored by Brady... that may take his greatness to some other team. As awesome as he is, Brady is 40, and down to a couple or three superior years.. he will be gone too soon, then what?

Under this scenario:
Brady wins
Belichick wins
Krafts win
JAG wins
49ers win (or some other team)
Even we fans win for the long haul... our franchise should be secure and we can still root for Brady

The NFL is theater... here to entertain, not cure cancer, drive world peace or anything else. Wouldn't this be entertaining? I picture Belichick, Brady, and Kraft smoking cigars and mapping this all out. While we think JAG is tee'd up for a trade, I wonder if a classic misdirection play will unfold.

What do you think?
I think that is the worst post in the history of this board.

I've been one of those who has played around with magical thinking to find ways to go from Brady to Jimmy. But I have to admit to myself by now, that it just doesn't add up.

The way Brady has been playing this year doesn't suggest in any way that he's feeling his age. I love the potential of Jimmy and I understand the argument for 10+ years of him vs 2-3 of Brady from a pure 'business' perspective. But... Eventhough I've shamefully played with the idea myself Brady has been pulling me back in all season long. Going with Brady for those 2-3 years is not out of pity or some sense of misguided loyalty. He is by far the best chance we have for another super bowl in that timeframe.

Trading Jimmy can do two great things for us. It can give us draft capital to maximize our chances for another with Brady and also - depending on the bounty - draft capital for finding an heir next year.

I think it is pretty stupid, as much as he is a "Bay Area Guy" he is a Patriot.. Mr. Kraft is a fan first and a business man close second, #12 is the face of his product and he knows what he has.. would not be surprised that at the end of his career that #12 has some type of real or titular role with the Pats Organization..

I would bring him into camp ( or a week before camp starts) to sit down and watch film with the QB whoever that is and share his wealth of knowledge of how to recognize formations and how to react. That is priceless.....
I remember a few years ago a QB who had been around the league in 3-4 organizations talked about sitting down and reviewing game tape with Ron Jaworski for a TV show. The QB ( can;t remember who it was) said he learned more in that hour with Jaws than he had from his 3 QB coaches.... TFB can do that and more for years....

EDIT- To the OP, Brady like Troy Brown and Bruschi will retire a Patriot, he won't get shipped to Siberia or Cleveland..... If Father Time catches up to him, I suspect he will have a meeting with BB and know when it is time to hang them up and like baseball's Mike Schmidt walk away when it is time.. It won't be like Willie Mays hitting .220 for the Mets in 1973.....

I've been one of those who has played around with magical thinking to find ways to go from Brady to Jimmy. But I have to admit to myself by now, that it just doesn't add up.

The way Brady has been playing this year doesn't suggest in any way that he's feeling his age. I love the potential of Jimmy and I understand the argument for 10+ years of him vs 2-3 of Brady from a pure 'business' perspective. But... Eventhough I've shamefully played with the idea myself Brady has been pulling me back in all season long. Going with Brady for those 2-3 years is not out of pity or some sense of misguided loyalty. He is by far the best chance we have for another super bowl in that timeframe.

Trading Jimmy can do two great things for us. It can give us draft capital to maximize our chances for another with Brady and also - depending on the bounty - draft capital for finding an heir next year.
Brady commented in his MVP PC about how he takes care of himself. He said that if he was hurting all the time he wouldn't want to keep playing. He said how he does some unorthodox things to keep his body healthy. When he was 25 he hurt all the time. Now he never hurts. If he gets banged up in a game he knows how to take care of it so he can be ready to practice on Wednesday because if you can't practice you can't get better.
I think he really could go 5 more years, injury aside, and he is doing more to prevent injury than maybe any athlete ever.

Who cares what others think? We have the best combo in the history of football and perhaps all of sports period.

Brady commented in his MVP PC about how he takes care of himself. He said that if he was hurting all the time he wouldn't want to keep playing. He said how he does some unorthodox things to keep his body healthy. When he was 25 he hurt all the time. Now he never hurts. If he gets banged up in a game he knows how to take care of it so he can be ready to practice on Wednesday because if you can't practice you can't get better.
I think he really could go 5 more years, injury aside, and he is doing more to prevent injury than maybe any athlete ever.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he does play another five years. That being said, we all know how hard it is to find a good qb, so starting next year, I would assume BB will pull the trigger if he feels there's a potential heir.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he does play another five years. That being said, we all know how hard it is to find a good qb, so starting next year, I would assume BB will pull the trigger if he feels there's a potential heir.
Pull what trigger?

Btw he is from Nor Cal not So Cal. Not that it really matters, they never really accepted him as one of their own because he was always a threat to their idol Joe.

OP here... I'm an enjoying the spirited discussion.. my feelings certainly aren't hurt because some anonymous poster told me I had the stupidest post ever. But most of the people up thread are indirectly making my point... none of the stakeholders is doing this "for the fans". The content of the fans' wallets, maybe... The NFL is theatre, just like the Ringling Bros (out of business after 100+ years incidentally... because they lost the recipe to entertain) or one step up from the WWE. They do this for money, professional achievement, and/or the thrill of the competition. All of which get enhanced if something like what I threw out there goes down. They certainly don't care what "Fred from Dartmouth" thinks.. Incidentally, I've been a fan since the Grogan days, and I am not in favor of what I tossed out there - this is a discussion board and I wanted to see if people were interested in, you know, discussing an interesting scenario...

The OP suggests that Brady would prefer to play in SF rather than stay in New England. I just don't see that at all. From all reports, Brady is the ultimate competitor. He absolutely hates losing, and he has a great chance of winning more rings with the Patriots. Do you really believe that he would suddenly lose his competitive edge and be happy winding down his career by losing 10 games each season?

that being said, you must have expected some blowback from posting these suggestion/scenarios. If I had to shoot down any of these points it would be the "Tom to NCal" idea.For a number of reasons both football and outside of football, not the least of which is Giselle's preference.I think it's a stretch that Brady would uproot his wife and kids and move them into a cauldron of far left activism that is the SF/Oakland area. Why would he subject himself and his family to any threat at this late stage of his career? I don't see it. Giselle has big money and career interests too, you know. NY/East Coast and the proximity to Paris and Milan as well as Brazil make a left coast career change for a few seasons extremely unlikely. Just doesn't make sense IMO.

Bear with me. There is absolutely nothing more Brady & Belichik need to so to cement their legacy as the GOAT QB/Coach tandem of all time... Unless you are brain damaged like Marshall Faulk, this is no longer in dispute. All that's left is individual accolades.

All the haters can come up with now is Brady made Belichick (look at his record in Cleveland!) or Belichick made Brady (he's a system QB! The pats went 11-5 with Matt Freakin' Casssell!). So its time to break them up and build their legacies on their own. Consider:

Brady is a So. Cal boy, Montana was his hero, his mom (in California) has cancer. He's taken below-market contracts for years. With his buy-in, trade him to the 49ers for a king's ransom, with a pre-agreed contract to pay him the money the GOAT QB deserves. He gets to be paid like he should, be near his mom, Giselle gets to be in a place better for her career, and he gets to add to his legacy by getting a sorry franchise out of the dumpster.

The 49ers sell tickets, because this is a major PR coup... they also don't have much at QB at the moment.

Jimmy G gets the reins and Belichick will prove his greatness by bringing a championship to the Pats without Brady.. the trade compensation will help this (two #1s plus maybe more from a high-picking crappy team?). Belichick wins (or goes deep into the tournament with Jimmy, proves again his incredible skill, and turns over the team to his successor.

Kraft gets his franchise QB for the next decade... you know he must be thinking beyond the GOATs for what the next 10-12 years will bring. Certainly Jonathan is. It must eat at him that we have a potential star QB that he invested in, coached by Belichik, and mentored by Brady... that may take his greatness to some other team. As awesome as he is, Brady is 40, and down to a couple or three superior years.. he will be gone too soon, then what?

Under this scenario:
Brady wins
Belichick wins
Krafts win
JAG wins
49ers win (or some other team)
Even we fans win for the long haul... our franchise should be secure and we can still root for Brady

The NFL is theater... here to entertain, not cure cancer, drive world peace or anything else. Wouldn't this be entertaining? I picture Belichick, Brady, and Kraft smoking cigars and mapping this all out. While we think JAG is tee'd up for a trade, I wonder if a classic misdirection play will unfold.

What do you think?

jck.gif

OP here... I'm an enjoying the spirited discussion.. my feelings certainly aren't hurt because some anonymous poster told me I had the stupidest post ever. But most of the people up thread are indirectly making my point... none of the stakeholders is doing this "for the fans". The content of the fans' wallets, maybe... The NFL is theatre, just like the Ringling Bros (out of business after 100+ years incidentally... because they lost the recipe to entertain) or one step up from the WWE. They do this for money, professional achievement, and/or the thrill of the competition. All of which get enhanced if something like what I threw out there goes down. They certainly don't care what "Fred from Dartmouth" thinks.. Incidentally, I've been a fan since the Grogan days, and I am not in favor of what I tossed out there - this is a discussion board and I wanted to see if people were interested in, you know, discussing an interesting scenario...
Ok let's discuss your scenario.
It's stupid for everyone involved.

And stop with the "it's business" curveball. You clearly said this should be done So belichick and Brady van answer morons who discredit them.

that being said, you must have expected some blowback from posting these suggestion/scenarios. If I had to shoot down any of these points it would be the "Tom to NCal" idea.For a number of reasons both football and outside of football, not the least of which is Giselle's preference.I think it's a stretch that Brady would uproot his wife and kids and move them into a cauldron of far left activism that is the SF/Oakland area. Why would he subject himself and his family to any threat at this late stage of his career? I don't see it. Giselle has big money and career interests too, you know. NY/East Coast and the proximity to Paris and Milan as well as Brazil make a left coast career change for a few seasons extremely unlikely. Just doesn't make sense IMO.

Why did you just waste two minutes of your life giving that OP a serious response?

The SF thing came up in 2000. Brady was 22. It is now 2017, and Brady is 39, meaning he has likely lived more outside California than he has in California. He has built ties in New England during his adult life and really has no time (even assuming 3 - 5 years of football in a rebuilding franchise) to build a CA future based on football.

Belichick does what is best for the team in order to win. Period. He may develop players over a year, but he does not add and subtract unless he sees immediate value in the transaction. As Brady showed on Sunday, he is uniquely capable and not likely to be replaced with anything close to an equivalent, so the team suffers. Notions that Belichick worries he will not be viewed as Lombardi because of Brady suggests he would rather be famous than winning. His view seems to be in the now, not legacies, and his press session yesterday showed he has already turned the page to 2017 rather than basking in celebratory glory. VII Rings seems to be as far as he goes.

As for Brady's wife, when you have a great name the business will find you wherever you live. When you have the coin for private jets, it is a work day to get around in your moving office. She is not a cold-calling model who needs to go to where the business center is.

Presenting the award for biggest potential buzzkill after best game evah award....

Sorry, that's not an award. So, turns out everybody doesn't get a trophy...

Let's take the weak form of this argument, in which TB and BB have different reads on whether it's time for TB to go.

I'm glad to entertain these future scenarios, but I think the OP's magic 8 ball is on the fritz...

She is not a cold-calling model who needs to go to where the business center is.

No, she's a business woman and NY is the business center of the US. She also has a brand, a brand that could quite possibly endure severe damage at the hands of the screaming SafeSpace/Cupcake horde that is ENDEMIC to the SF/NCal area. I hate bringing up politically sensitive issues on a SPORTS message board but one has to be a resident of Mars not to see the potentially negative impact a move to the 9ers would entail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back