PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So was this a playcall sheet as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Its freaking stupid. The whole rule is dumb. The rule is antiquated and has not kept pace with today's technological capabilities.

With that said they may have a usage tracker on the Surfaces...but I doubt it.

But it is rule and if this NFL Gameday Ops & NFL Security are so maniacal about competitive fairness, they need to come down on Cinci..

Let me know when that happens.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Everyone on the football operations staff is already totally connected to each other. What on earth can a person with a cellphone do that would make the game unfair. I don't get it. Can someone please explain

That is exactly what I was thinking. Everyone on the football operations staff is already totally connected to each other. What on earth can a person with a cellphone do that would make the game unfair. I don't get it. Can someone please explain

Take video of the other sideline from their own sideline and give their coaching staff the info during the game.

But that's soooo 2007!

Last edited:
Think some are getting a bit too wee-weed up with this stuff lately. :p

Then he was absolutely in the bench area, unless Marvin Lewis was standing in the tunnel or something.

The screen shot of the guy with the phone shows 13:51 remaining in the 4th quarter. Based on the play-by-play, Pittsburgh had the ball at the Cinci 33 yard line. If either team had the ball inside the 10 yard line, I could see Lewis being out of the "bench area" if he wanted a better look at something. Since the ball was on the 33, though, he probably was right in that area.

I'm guess here but phones being used for texting those associated with gambling/fantasy football or content/information not consented by the NFL or its broadcast partner.

Take video of the other sideline from their own sideline and give their coaching staff the info during the game.

But that's soooo 2007!
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. But in case you aren't let me ask you a question. The sideline is perhaps the WORST place to see what is gong on in the game. How could a something you get from a cellphone be better than the video feed they are already getting on their tablets, etc.

I'm guess here but phones being used for texting those associated with gambling/fantasy football or content/information not consented by the NFL or its broadcast partner.
I get that, but a cell phone isn't going to interfere with the competitive balance of the game.

I get that, but a cell phone isn't going to interfere with the competitive balance of the game.
That is not the point. It is against the rules. The Browns GM was given a 4 game suspension and a 6 figure fine this summer. A letter went out. These devices can record far better than any 2007 sideline video recorder. The Broncos and the Bengals have clearly broken the rules and no matter how outdated we think the rules are or insignificant the advantage, they must be punished.

The idea was that during game day that wanted to limit technology. I believe most of this came about when filming was becoming standard practice and technology was growing fast enough to be used in game. The NFL didn't want teams of analysts combing video and using it during the game. Game day you had to match wits, not just have the best technology. So all they can have is the play sheets, NFL phones and radios and still photos of plays.

With a cell phone you could be talking to the guy behind the other team's bench, so you only get NFL communications. You could also be talking to 100 analysts watching video at home, the NFL coms limit that communication to a few people.

That may seem silly, but that's the idea.

It's also why "spygate" was such a joke. The NFL never cared what teams did before or after with video or pictures. They actually required teams to film, the caveat was that if one team was going to film from the sidelines, they had to allow the other. And nothing was mentioned about "what" could be filmed. The rules the NFL quoted referred to the restriction on game day use. That meant restricting using video during the actual game, like it always had.

Spygate was like the NFL discovering BB had a cell phone on in his desk game day and then claiming that he violated the cell use policy by quoting all sorts of things out of proper context.

Cheatcinnati
Aj cheat
Cheatvin Lewis
Boomer esiacheat
The cheatki shuffle

No. Its freaking stupid. The whole rule is dumb. The rule is antiquated and has not kept pace with today's technological capabilities.

With that said they may have a usage tracker on the Surfaces...but I doubt it.

But it is rule and if this NFL Gameday Ops & NFL Security are so maniacal about competitive fairness, they need to come down on Cinci.

Let me know when that happens.

I've always assumed that the Surfaces on the sideline were highly customized with thoroughly stripped-down online capabilities. I have nothing to back that up, of course, but it just seems like common sense, much like how the iPads that players are given with their playbooks are pretty well locked down.

I've always assumed that the Surfaces on the sideline were highly customized with thoroughly stripped-down online capabilities. I have nothing to back that up, of course, but it just seems like common sense, much like how the iPads that players are given with their playbooks are pretty well locked down.
Yea I think you may be right.

That is not the point. It is against the rules. The Browns GM was given a 4 game suspension and a 6 figure fine this summer. A letter went out. These devices can record far better than any 2007 sideline video recorder. The Broncos and the Bengals have clearly broken the rules and no matter how outdated we think the rules are or insignificant the advantage, they must be punished.

As Goodell said to Bob Costas in September of 2007, after Bob asked, "Why is this any different than someone filming with a FlipVideo cam from the stands?" :

"But it wasn't from the stands. It was from the field with a bigger camera."

Yup.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. But in case you aren't let me ask you a question. The sideline is perhaps the WORST place to see what is gong on in the game. How could a something you get from a cellphone be better than the video feed they are already getting on their tablets, etc.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

Just making a comment that a cellphone can take AND RECEIVE video. And video on a sideline (instead of other proscribed places in a stadium) was what was at the center of the Cameragate controversy in 2007.

That controversy was not centered on taking video of the game, but of coaches and their signals. You are probably right on in saying that the quality of such video of game action would not be great, but today's phones could take some very good video of stationary coaches relaying signals.

Even more probable - - the camera guy in the proscribed stadium areas (press boxes,etc.) could be relaying the video of the coaches signals down to the cellphone guy who is hovering over Lewis' left shoulder. he also could be sending to the cellphone video from BEHIND the opposing bench of the other team. The possibilities are endless.

Long story short - - I can see why the rule is there for no cellphones in the bench area. It makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Not if it is RECEIVING video from a cameraman in another part of the stadium - - i.e. behind the opposing bench.

Remember, Goodell said the problem wasn't so much the video, but the possibility of using the video DURING the game.

Last edited:
I'd be much more surprised if that were the case than if it weren't. Nothing specific to back it up beyond a day job that includes locking down iPads and Microsoft Surface Pros. If you've got anything specific about how either are locked down I'd greatly appreciate info (PM would be fine). I'll offer some of my finest home brewed beers for any useful info.

Must be a play sheet

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes