PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's take a good look at McCourty, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your opinion is FLAWED just by the fact that you refuse to realize that the Patriots have their own scouts and they don't use any of the scouting services. You also blind yourself to the fact that BB and the coaches have actually spent time with these guys, breaking down film, asking questions and having them answered.. You have no clue how these guys hit it off. There is so much people like yourself refuse to acknowledge that you don't know, but you throw your childish fits when you can't understand why the Patriots did something.. Instead of accepting that you don't have all the information the Patriots did, you crucify them and make idiotic statements that are intended to make you look smarter than them. The smart fans look at you, laugh, and dismiss you because you base your opinions almost solely on sources unaffiliated with the Patriots. So, by reason, you're going to be more wrong and therefore, not have as much to bring.

this just so dead on. thanks Dabruinz

I guess the homer's are just smarter than everyone else....

Good God. The idiocy in this thread and on this board is truly a sight to behold.

Just watched all the McCourty "highlights" on the web. Everyone of his ints were from pathetic throws from Big East QBs who weren't even invited to the combine. All of them he was sitting in empty space and the QB under/overthroew his open receiver and McCourty caught it.

I can't see where he is any better than Whilite, I liked Butler's play last year, Bodden has been re-signed and is a fine corner, so what do they do from here?

Wheatley is going to gut cut? Springs gone? This is is worse than the one that got blown out by Baltimore (remind me again how Baltimore scored? It pretty sure it wasn't through the air). Oh the knock on McCourty, his tackling....

I just watched the highlights also. It looks to me like he was doing a good job reading the QB and dropping into the passing lanes. On the tipped ball he just showed good ball awareness.

So far people have criticized him for being a good special teams player??

I am not going to say I am a McCourty fan because I do not know much about him but so far verything I have read and what I have seen shows he is a solid CB. What is out there that says otherwise?

Just watched all the McCourty "highlights" on the web. Everyone of his ints were from pathetic throws from Big East QBs who weren't even invited to the combine. All of them he was sitting in empty space and the QB under/overthroew his open receiver and McCourty caught it.
You sound like you've really done your homework, friend.

Read more, post less.

Last edited:
I just watched the highlights also. It looks to me like he was doing a good job reading the QB and dropping into the passing lanes. On the tipped ball he just showed good ball awareness.

So far people have criticized him for being a good special teams player??

I am not going to say I am a McCourty fan because I do not know much about him but so far verything I have read and what I have seen shows he is a solid CB. What is out there that says otherwise?

The problem is those throws don't get made in the NFL (except maybe Sanchez).

You sound like you've really done your homework, friend.

Read more, post less.

hmmmmmmm not really sure what to make of this except this is one post that adds absolutely NOTHING to the conversation. If your other 36 posts are as insightful as this then maybe your advice pertains to both of us.

Anyways, if there is someone that follows Rutgers of McCourty that has a legitimate concerns about his ability I would like to hear them. I just don't see what it is about him that says he should not be a first round pick.

The problem is those throws don't get made in the NFL (except maybe Sanchez).

I can agree with you there but getting a few easy interceptions does not make him a bad player

flawed opinion? based on a failure to realize?

no different than a flawed opinion based on successful realization......

As far as BB is concerned, enough to warrant selecting him now as opposed to waiting until later.

[I'll wait until the end of round two before I freak out about the pass rush or lack thereof.]

All therapists in NE are on alert this evening. :eek: ;)

I'd be curious to know how many how are bashing the pick of a CB were on here during the season posting about how terrible our CBs were. The flip side is I'd also be curious how many who are now praising he pick were the same ones saying those bashing our CB play during the season had no clue what they are talking about.

I'm guessing the number is high in each case.

All in all, McCourty appears to be an excellent special teams return man (will it be him or Tate as our returner of the future). On defense, he displays great instincts, excellent closing speed, fluid hips, and the want to tackle and come up in run support. While CB in the first round might have been a a reach, at first glance McCourty looks to be a solid pick for our secondary. With the safety position all but stacked and the CB position having a first rounder join the ranks of Bodden and Butler, I have to think that we're looking at D-Line and LB tomorrow (sprinkle in some hope for Golden Tate).
Suck my DictioN :rofl:LOL and loudly too

I can agree with you there but getting a few easy interceptions does not make him a bad player

I didn't say he was a bad player, I said that he is an absolute reach, and that they should have either picked Olrick, or traded down again.........

But lets face it, the kid played in the Big East, i'm a Syracuse grad, and they absolutely Suck! They had a ex-Duke point guard who had not played QB since high school show up on their campus, and bingo he is the starting QB. The lack of talent in the Big East is stunning, they have exactly "zero" qualitity NCAA programs.

So we are to believe that the same team that has selected WHilite and Wheatley, now can evaluate CB talent much better.

I'd be curious to know how many how are bashing the pick of a CB were on here during the season posting about how terrible our CBs were. The flip side is I'd also be curious how many who are now praising he pick were the same ones saying those bashing our CB play during the season had no clue what they are talking about.

I'm guessing the number is high in each case.
I have no problem with Mccourty as a player, i would have rather had a pass rusher like Hughes. BB might say mccourtny is a better CB than hughes is an OLB but sometimes i think you have to go with the BAA in an area of real need. I don't remember anyone here saying CB was a priority need before the draft.

3-4 times this year (as far as watching him play)

So you saw him play 3-4 times and you're saying that he's just a special teamer who compares to Mathew Slater? What the hell were you watching?

hmmmmmmm not really sure what to make of this except this is one post that adds absolutely NOTHING to the conversation. If your other 36 posts are as insightful as this then maybe your advice pertains to both of us.

Anyways, if there is someone that follows Rutgers of McCourty that has a legitimate concerns about his ability I would like to hear them. I just don't see what it is about him that says he should not be a first round pick.

My response wasn't directed at you.

People seem to be bashing this pick in part because he is good on ST. He's a top 5 CB in this draft - a very good CB. The fact that he is amazing on ST (both returning and blocking) is an awesome bonus that moved him up BB's board. He's a 4 down player.

We need playmakers, but God forbid any of it come from ST...

The only problem with this statement is that McCourty is only a true playmaker on special teams as a return guy. As a CB he's a good cover corner but he's not a playmaker at that position. At least not yet. 1.0 INT's in 2009 agrees with this statement.

You know I generally enjoy your opinions Deus Irae but we're one round in to a seven round draft. At first the pick left me scratching my head but now I'm seeing the value in it. If McCourty can turn into a Revis type, then I don't care what anyone says about the pick now. He's got 3 years to prove it.

There's plenty of opportunities to address the needs of the team over the next few days.

I think he's saying the same thing I'm saying and that's that, without the rest of the draft to evaluate things, this pick is not a good pick given what our needs were entering Thursday night. IMO, if we fill those needs in the other rounds then this pick doesn't look like so much of a reach. If we don't fill those picks then we're looking at a loaded CB corps without much of an outside presence on our defense which means that the pass rush, at first glance, probably will not improve leaving our first round pick, McCourty, as well as Bodden and Butler on islands trying to cover WR's for 10 seconds.

The sudden love for taking a cornerback in the first round is amazing. I don't remember the pre-draft bandwagon for drafting a cornerback, but that wagon sure is full now that BB has drafted one.

But you know he is friends with the Rutgers coach so he knows more than anyone else. At a minimum this is an admission that they had no clue for the last 3-4 years in terms of drafting cornerbacks. So now all of a sudden it's a good pick.

This team won Superbowls with questionable cornerbacks, but not without great front sevens. I think he's a solid player, but if you can stop the run and pressure the passer your corner backs look better, it can work in the reverse, but that's a lot rarer.

You can't remember the pre-draft bandwagon for CB because it didn't exist prior to 10:45 last night. The only guy who I can honestly say that wanted a CB in the first on here was BelichickFan and even he brought up other options from time to time. As for your second paragraph, I disagree. I think Springs and maybe Wheatley is gone before we assemble the final roster. If, at the very least, Springs is gone then McCourty is the replacement. Your third paragraph is dead-on.

Let's hope we don't go in the direction of the Red Sox this offseason and actually fill some of the holes that weakened us in 2009. :eat2:

Some of you guys are gonna do great at the special olympics. :rolleyes:

?? What do you mean NOT? That's what he means by 4-Down player. He'll be out there for the first three downs, and back out there on special teams when the other team has to punt to us on 4th down.

If you and the others had the patience to read on, you'd note that I made a grammar change to that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back