PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats, Lloyd close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if someone like Brian Quick, Nick Toon or Tommy Streeter is there when there 3rd round pick comes up.

4 picks in the first 63 picks, gotta think Belichick is maybe looking at Safety, a OLB/DE, a CB and maybe an O-Lineman.

You have BB using all four picks. :singing:

Just don't throw out silly money and I'm happy...over 6m a year would be ridiculous but in this years FA WR market I do expect he will get a fat contract :mad:

??????????
The cap is for the team, not by position. If Lloyd gets a 6mill cap # that is 6mill that can't be spent elsewhere.

I am sure the patriots set a value for all 3 that would fit the cap. If the players don't want it or can get more elsewhere they won't be here. Carter and Anderson are more likely to be competing for dollars with eachother rather than Lloyd.

I understand the cap isnt by position but obviously a team budgets for each position. Money saved at one will be used elsewhere and vice versa.

Bottom line IMO the only way any of the Three Lloyd, Carter, of Anderson are here is on team friendly deals I don't see them breaking the bank for any of em so if the players want to accept what is being offered I believe all 3 fit. In the end I think we wind up with Carter and Lloyd and some FA to replace Andersen who will get more on the open market. But money will be spent on all 3 positions.

Last edited:
Decent WR with one good season. I'm not overly happy with the signing (if it happens) like most of you are. The one positive is that he should be able to at least contribute right away unlike Ocho last year.

Decent WR with one good season. I'm not overly happy with the signing (if it happens) like most of you are. The one positive is that he should be able to at least contribute right away unlike Ocho last year.
If your standards of "good" are leading the NFL in receiving yards, then yes, he's only had 1 good season.

I fail to see how his 70 catch, 966 yard and 5 TD season in 15 games with Orton/Tebow/Feeley/Bradford/Clemens would not be considered "good" though. You have awfully high standards.

Get Lloyd

Re-sign Branch if he'll take a low end deal

Draft a WR with one of the top 3 picks

Bring in camp bodies to compete with the low end (Branch/Johnson/Edelman) guys

Call the wide receiver search over for the year (barring injury, of course)

I'd be happy with this scenario, maybe not using one of the top 3 picks though. But the main things I want to see if Lloyd brought in and Branch back for insurance/leadership. I think wanting more weapons at reciever than Welker/Gronk/AH/Lloyd/Branch is asking too much.

This shouldn't cost us that much and leaves plenty of resources to focus on upgrading the defense.

The main tthing is the 2 years he was sucessful were under josh mcdaniels. Who is our oc...the only thing that matters is how a wr can perform in our system and not their past(see galloway,ocho) and. Lloyd has proven to perform in this system

The Patriots offense has no numbered "options". They just throw to whoevers open.

You statement is wrong, because every play has progressions, but what I think you meant is correct.

The quesiton becomes if you complete 70% of your passes for 291 completions 3800 yards and 36 TDs to last years top 3 receivers are you better by changing the pecking order?

I'd be happy with this scenario, maybe not using one of the top 3 picks though. But the main things I want to see if Lloyd brought in and Branch back for insurance/leadership. I think wanting more weapons at reciever than Welker/Gronk/AH/Lloyd/Branch is asking too much.

This shouldn't cost us that much and leaves plenty of resources to focus on upgrading the defense.

Let me lay out my logic about that draft pick. It may not change your mind, but I think we'll have a general point of agreement:

Lloyd/Welker/Johnson/Branch..... all older than 30
Johnson/Branch seem clearly to be in decline

In a WR rich draft, it's time to get the future started

A high pick on a Wr after signing Lloyd, and especially after resigning Branch would be totally unnecessary for 2012, but would be a pick used looking to the future.

Just don't throw out silly money and I'm happy...over 6m a year would be ridiculous but in this years FA WR market I do expect he will get a fat contract :mad:

I doubt BillB will ovepay for Lloyd. He knows that Lloyd does not have leverage, as Lloyd did not have any suitors in the 1wk of free agency..

I mean, you have Garcon, Wayne, Meachem, which are 2nd-tiered players already signed. Lloyd is a 2nd-tiered player. How many visits? Niners was a ploy, so 0 team visits..

6m/yr is what I also suspect. That was OCHO's $$, last year.

Speaking of OCHO, does anyone believe he will do anything? He probably will spend more time on his reality-tv-show, than catching Brady's throws.. I for one would like BillB to cut his loses, and save the extra WR spot for Gaffney, and resign Branch for vet-min.

Lloyd-Welker-Gaffney-Branch (Hern & Gronk)

That is a much improved WR corp...

A high pick on a Wr after signing Lloyd, and especially after resigning Branch would be totally unnecessary for 2012, but would be a pick used looking to the future.

I have to admit that I'm becoming intrigued by Stephen Hill, the WR out of Ga. Tech. He's a project to some degree but Draft scout is comparing his upside to Randy Moss, and developing that kind of gamebreaking talent would be pretty scary for opposing defenses. The Patriots have many options in this draft and they have a good enough team to take a gamble like this.

Of course the herald has to combatboston.com's scoop by basically sayig the same thing..he's stuill negotiating but they are getting closer

Have the rams even attempted to resign him?

I am sure the patriots set a value for all 3 that would fit the cap. If the players don't want it or can get more elsewhere they won't be here. Carter and Anderson are more likely to be competing for dollars with eachother rather than Lloyd.

I understand the cap isnt by position but obviously a team budgets for each position. Money saved at one will be used elsewhere and vice versa.

Bottom line IMO the only way any of the Three Lloyd, Carter, of Anderson are here is on team friendly deals I don't see them breaking the bank for any of em so if the players want to accept what is being offered I believe all 3 fit. In the end I think we wind up with Carter and Lloyd and some FA to replace Andersen who will get more on the open market. But money will be spent on all 3 positions.

I do not think I can recall them ever overpaying for any player at any position. That is not to say dollars were wasted because money ended up being wasted on players that did not perform as anticipated(Ocho).

By not overpaying for "stars" or starters and always staying within their means they end up with a very talent laden back end of the roster.

Sign him...then...

Lardarius Webb. Yeah, I said it.

No that is not correct. Conceptually, there may be a basic philosophy about positional value, but it is not hard and fast as you make it out to be.
If we try to sign Lloyd and don't we aren't going to overpay the next guy to fill a WR budget, we will use the money elsewhere.

Yeah, that is my point.

I don't get this idea that you think we only want players who will turn down more money elsewhere.
I do not really expect Anderson or Carter to be back because I don't see either (for very different reasons) repeating what they did last year. I expect us to replace them with players more likely to rise than fall from what they did last year. Neither of them are going to get big money.
Lloyd is going to get what the market dictates, and it looks like it will be here.

I do not think I can recall them ever overpaying for any player at any position. That is not to say dollars were wasted because money ended up being wasted on players that did not perform as anticipated(Ocho).

By not overpaying for "stars" or starters and always staying within their means they end up with a very talent laden back end of the roster.

They have overpaid for many players.
Shaun Ellis
Adalius Thomas
Leigh Bodden
Antowain Smith
Duane Starks
Kyle Brady
Monte Beisel
Derrick Burgess
Haynesworth
Joey Galloway

are some that come to mind.
Its a fact of life in the NFL that this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe