PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats, Lloyd close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news to wake up to, she better be right, #2 WR will be fixed after two long seasons. :D

Victims that failed along the way: Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Sam Aiken, Ochostinko, 2010 Moss.

I'll give Branch a pass. Ideally he should of been the 3rd WR, but on most teams he wouldn't even be a top 3 WR.

Last edited:
although I wouldn't be surprised if bill drafts a wr early its a very deep draft at that position.

When a position is deep in a draft, it means we are less likely to draft it early, and wait for the value to fall into later rounds.

Don't think Landry would be used as a cover safety, I think in this defense he would primarily be the Big Nickel safety and play more in the box. A safety rotation of Chung, Landry and Gregory would be great.

I don't know if it would be "great". It would be better than what they had this past year, but this past year their safety situation was so bad, that merely getting to "poor" would be a remarkable improvement.

But I'm all for any kind of upgrade: from good to great, from great to exceptional, from average to good, from poor to average, or from horrible to poor. Any place you can improve things without blowing the budget, you do.

I. LIKE. also10char

Last edited:
So, I guess us fans who wanted the Patriots to "win FA" by signing Brandon Lloyd might have been onto something.

Boy, Tom Condon is going to be peissed when he finds out that Belichick and Lloyd are negotiating behind his back since everyone have been saying for weeks that Belichick and Condon would never negotiate with each other. :D

Condon has been hearing the word "No" a lot on his cell.

So, I guess us fans who wanted the Patriots to "win FA" by signing Brandon Lloyd might have been onto something.

If you really think that then you missed the whole point.

wiki says he's a 49er ? did he alredy sign with the pats or 49ers lol

Don't think Landry would be used as a cover safety, I think in this defense he would primarily be the Big Nickel safety and play more in the box. A safety rotation of Chung, Landry and Gregory would be great.

Good take ... he's not coming here as a starter if he comes. Coming here could extend his career a few years even.

Hope this happens. I'm excited for the whole team if it does. Gronkowski,Hernandez and Welker would all benefit with a lot more breathing room on the field to make plays. As would LLoyd. The signing just makes too much sense.

We've seen the acrobatic sure handed Lloyd do some terrific things in the NFL thus far. I can't wait to see what he can do when he's in a lot more single coverage.

Make it happen Pats.

Today could be a great day in terms of signings, the possibility of Brandon Lloyd and of course LaRon Landry is in for a visit today so if he checks out medically and interviews well he could well sign today too.

All of a sudden a team that was already good enough to reach the Super Bowl (against the odds) looks even better. :eek:

Nice if this can be done. However I hope people understand that Lloyd coming to the Pats doesn't mean the Pats will suddenly pass for 6000 yds next season. Lloyd's yds will just mean fewer yds for Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker, etc. The plus will be that, hopefully, the reduced yards will be easier to get and result in more points

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on Lloyd. I'm sure he'll be a fine addition. My concern is that because of his signing, we might lose Anderson and/or Carter. Don't forget these are the guys who provided HALF our sack total, and likely half the pressures and QB hits. I just hope that by signing a marque player who can make a great passing attack slightly better, might cause us to lose a player or two who are critical to a defense that....lets say....isn't "great".

Nice if this can be done. However I hope people understand that Lloyd coming to the Pats doesn't mean the Pats will suddenly pass for 6000 yds next season. Lloyd's yds will just mean fewer yds for Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker, etc. The plus will be that, hopefully, the reduced yards will be easier to get and result in more points

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on Lloyd. I'm sure he'll be a fine addition. My concern is that because of his signing, we might lose Anderson and/or Carter. Don't forget these are the guys who provided HALF our sack total, and likely half the pressures and QB hits. I just hope that by signing a marque player who can make a great passing attack slightly better, might cause us to lose a player or two who are critical to a defense that....lets say....isn't "great".

I don't agree with this take on it. Wideout is a huge need, and here is the one talented veteran that can walk in here and be productive from day 1. We've already added to our DB's and DL, and it's easier to add defensive talent from the draft than offensive. This is the best way to be investing our resources at this point.

I don't want to lose Anderson or Carter either, but we need to get help at WR. The big qustion....picking up the system....is already answered. I really, really want this to happen, so much that I keep checking for updates. Like every five minutes.

Lloyd would instantly be the best deep threat we have, and seems like a good all around receiver as well.

People get overly tied up in the stats, but where a credible deep threat makes his presence felt isn't necessarily the quantity stats, it's in how he improves the quality stats.

Welker and Gronkowski may have had monster years, but as with 2007, by the end of the season the offense was completely predictable and defensible...

Add to that a defense that could collapse and smother the OL, short receivers, RBs and put added pressure on Brady, such an offense often can't make that "one play" when it needs to.

This need is too significant to leave it to the draft for a WR who will take many games or many years to develop. Having that credible deep threat allows that "one play" to be made when it needs to by opening the offense and keeping defenses honest.

And for a team that was "one play" from winning the Super Bowl last season, that can be huge.

Last edited:
I don't want to lose Anderson or Carter either, but we need to get help at WR. The big qustion....picking up the system....is already answered. I really, really want this to happen, so much that I keep checking for updates. Like every five minutes.

Bingo - this news made my morning cause getting Lloyd didn't look too likely a couple of days ago.

I mean, the thought of Brady and Lloyd really torturing a defense on the outside until they have to double, with our TE's and WW on the inside, is just too delightful to imagine. Moss was great on deep balls in 2007, but was never a consistent 10-20 yard threat.

Today may be a banner day if Lloyd signs with Pats....

Grab a WR in the draft to develop and take over for Branch/Ocho and the Offense could be just about good to go for a few years. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back