PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats, Lloyd close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that I'm becoming intrigued by Stephen Hill, the WR out of Ga. Tech. He's a project to some degree but Draft scout is comparing his upside to Randy Moss, and developing that kind of gamebreaking talent would be pretty scary for opposing defenses. The Patriots have many options in this draft and they have a good enough team to take a gamble like this.

You can't really take a guy who played WR in a 1950s offense and compare him to a HOFer.
There are many, many people with speed and size that can't make it as an NFL WR. There is a long, long way for this guy to go to get there.
He appears to have the physical measurements it takes to be a good WR, but thats one piece of the puzzle.

I don't get this idea that you think we only want players who will turn down more money elsewhere.

Its not that we only want players who will turn down more money elsewhere. Its that we will set a value and not go over it and often times it results in a player leaving more, deciding to stay for less, sometimes it happens our offer meats the market and they choose to stay.

IMO and some of the rumors coming out now that Lloyd is still not close stand to support my theory. They will place a value on a guy and thats it take it or leave it. They likely have let Anderson know what they would give him to return and if they havent yet with Carter they will (injury could slow that up).

If they dont get one or all three they may not spend the same money but they will spend money on the positions it might wind up they bring in 2 WR for the money to compete and 3 or 4 LBs for the money to compete or they find someone cheap and spend a little more on OL or something.

I dont think it matters what plan B would be because we are talking about not overspending for plan A.

The mob mentality is a wonder to behold.

Yesterday, we were talking about how Brady only has a few good years left, and a stinko receiving crop is the anchor holding him down. Today, the rumor of a 30-year old receiver with a history of attitude problems MIGHT sign, and we're a Superbowl team that's getting even better.

Let me go on record to say that signing Lloyd will not make or sink this team. He could join and go the way of Joey Galloway. He could sign with the Niners for more money, and we could draft someone like Hill or Sanu.

I'd love to see Lloyd on the team. I'd love the Pats to take one of the many good rookie receivers coming out in the draft. I think we should do both. But if neither happens, I'm pretty sure Welker, Branch, Gronk and Hernandez, with Edelman and some jag FA are enough to get us back into the SB. It wouldn't be like 2007, but this team is not one WR away from being unstoppable.

Anyway, I'm way more anxious about our secondary and the pass rush. Even with Gronk hurt and no deep threat, a shut down D would have clinched the win over the Giants.

Its not that we only want players who will turn down more money elsewhere. Its that we will set a value and not go over it and often times it results in a player leaving more, deciding to stay for less, sometimes it happens our offer meats the market and they choose to stay.
Your comment was the only way we would take them is on 'team friendly contracts' these are 3 players in areas of siginificant need.
"Team friendly" means below market. If we really had that approach we would have 53 guys in thier rookie contracts.

IMO and some of the rumors coming out now that Lloyd is still not close stand to support my theory. They will place a value on a guy and thats it take it or leave it. They likely have let Anderson know what they would give him to return and if they havent yet with Carter they will (injury could slow that up).
How can the fact that they are negotiating support your theory that their MO is to play take it or leave it games?
How do you know what they told Anderson? I hate posts like that where people assume something they guess at with absolutely no way of knowing to be fact.

If they dont get one or all three they may not spend the same money but they will spend money on the positions it might wind up they bring in 2 WR for the money to compete and 3 or 4 LBs for the money to compete or they find someone cheap and spend a little more on OL or something.
Thats what I said. Signing one player affect the chances of signing others, and you disagreed. Apparently you have recognized your error.

I dont think it matters what plan B would be because we are talking about not overspending for plan A.

What? Are you seriously trying to say that decisions are made without consideration to the alternatives?

Look up Brandon Lloyd 2011 highlights on youtube and tell me the offense cant use him

Look up Brandon Lloyd 2011 highlights on youtube and tell me the offense cant use him

MarioManningham is visiting Rams. Lloyd really has no leverage. BillB is making Lloyd sweat to bring $$/yr down.

In the meantime, LaRon Landry is working-out today for Patriots. But, he will visit Jets next and others... He wants max $$$, so I think LaRon wont be a Pat.

Odds are good that Lloyd won't have a deal until Manning signs his contract. Tom Condon is busy for the next few days since Manning is supposed to have a decision by Tuesday of which team he is going to play for. I am assuming Manning and his potential $18 million a year contract is a higher priority for Condon for the next few days.

I think that the negotiations rumored to be taking place with Welker is more than coincidental. Whatever Welker gets, Lloyd will get less, as it is the economy of the Patriots and the consummate meritorcracy....

There are lots of players we could use. The question is price.

McDaniels never coached with the Redskins and Lloyd hasn't played with Brady or for BB. So far your "point" is irrelevant.

With regards to your "point" as to my point's irrelevance, hardly. It's no coincidence he's gone through several teams in his career.

In any event, my point was more on the lines of caveat emptor, and that the Patriots should be cautious with how they structure his contract if they indeed come to an agreement.

-Jamman

Last edited:
Teams overpay for players all the time in every sport. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. There's no way Lloyd is asking for anything that will cripple us cap-wise. Just get it done!

I will be beyond pissed with this organization if it comes out that a deal fell through because of a couple million.

Teams overpay for players all the time in every sport. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. There's no way Lloyd is asking for anything that will cripple us cap-wise. Just get it done!

I will be beyond pissed with this organization if it comes out that a deal fell through because of a couple million.

Its not missing that hurts, its missing by a lot.

Odds are good that Lloyd won't have a deal until Manning signs his contract. Tom Condon is busy for the next few days since Manning is supposed to have a decision by Tuesday of which team he is going to play for. I am assuming Manning and his potential $18 million a year contract is a higher priority for Condon for the next few days.

I very much disagree. An agent can't be focussed only on one player to the harm of the other. I'm sure Brandon Lloyd won't take "Sit around until I'm done with Peyton then we will see about finding you a team" without firing that agent.

I am confident that if the Pats really want to sign LLoyd it will get done. Its obvious that the Pats are using the Globe to get their point out while Condon is using the Herald. Unfortunately for Condon, its a batlle he can't win.

The mob mentality is a wonder to behold.

I wouldn't call it a mob mentality. I'd call it a slow coalescence of opinion, since some of us have been calling for WR moves, particularly for a middle-deep receiver a/k/a deep threat, for some time now, and the greater body of people have only come to agreement over time.

Yesterday, we were talking about how Brady only has a few good years left,

Realistically, and based upon history, Brady does only have a few good years left.

and a stinko receiving crop is the anchor holding him down.

Beyond Welker, there's a declining Branch, a non-factor in Johnson, a scrub in Underwood, a special teams player in Slater and a backup in Edelman. Do you consider that group anything but "stinko" outside of Welker?

Today, the rumor of a 30-year old receiver with a history of attitude problems MIGHT sign, and we're a Superbowl team that's getting even better.

Well, they are a Super Bowl team, given that they just played in the Super Bowl. Getting Lloyd would, in theory, get the middle-deep receiver they lacked last season, and should be a clear improvement over the likes of Underwood and Slater. Are you really in doubt of the move making the team better?

Let me go on record to say that signing Lloyd will not make or sink this team. He could join and go the way of Joey Galloway. He could sign with the Niners for more money, and we could draft someone like Hill or Sanu.

I'd love to see Lloyd on the team. I'd love the Pats to take one of the many good rookie receivers coming out in the draft. I think we should do both. But if neither happens, I'm pretty sure Welker, Branch, Gronk and Hernandez, with Edelman and some jag FA are enough to get us back into the SB. It wouldn't be like 2007, but this team is not one WR away from being unstoppable.

The Patriots were extremely lucky in how the draw went in the playoffs last season. They also could have lost to the Ravens at the end. With another year of decline for Johnson/Branch, that WR corps is in desperate need of upgrading if the team is going to get back to the SB.

Anyway, I'm way more anxious about our secondary and the pass rush. Even with Gronk hurt and no deep threat, a shut down D would have clinched the win over the Giants.

They've already signed a safety, are meeting with another safety, have signed a replacement for Mike Wright that is capable of providing pass rush from the interior of the line, are reportedly still talking with Anderson and preparing to talk to Carter, and have 4 picks in the first two rounds.

P.S. If they'd had a middle-deep WR against the Giants, that too might have "clinched the win".

Last edited:
Theres no real market for lloyd outside of the pats apparantly...so I would think he will sign with us its a matter of when and for what price...the longer he goes without interest from another team the lower his leverage

I am confident that if the Pats really want to sign LLoyd it will get done. Its obvious that the Pats are using the Globe to get their point out while Condon is using the Herald. Unfortunately for Condon, its a batlle he can't win.

Sounds to me like it's the other way around. The Herald based its report on a team source, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back