PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats, Lloyd close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much disagree. An agent can't be focussed only on one player to the harm of the other. I'm sure Brandon Lloyd won't take "Sit around until I'm done with Peyton then we will see about finding you a team" without firing that agent.

If the motion picture 'Jerry Maguire' has taught me anything it's that if an agent ignores his WR with an attitude problem while focusing on his star QB with a Southern drawl it will eventually lead to himself and said WR becoming unlikely best friends, and him learning how to love. So I fully expect Condon to write a mission statement denouncing the obsession with profits over relationships. Any day now......

I very much disagree. An agent can't be focussed only on one player to the harm of the other. I'm sure Brandon Lloyd won't take "Sit around until I'm done with Peyton then we will see about finding you a team" without firing that agent.

Unfortunately, Manning isn't just any other client. Normally, I would agree, but with Manning and all the visits are probably taking up most of his time. I am sure that that both sides are talking, but I don't see him seriously negotiating unless the Pats give in (which is unlikely) until after Manning is done touring.

If the motion picture 'Jerry Maguire' has taught me anything it's that if an agent ignores his WR with an attitude problem while focusing on his star QB with a Southern drawl it will eventually lead to himself and said WR becoming unlikely best friends, and him learning how to love. So I fully expect Condon to write a mission statement denouncing the obsession with profits over relationships. Any day now......

Well at least he will fall in love with a CAA accountant (who will leave CAA to help him form a new company) and her son with an abnormally large head. So all is good.

Sounds to me like it's the other way around. The Herald based its report on a team source, right?

On second thought you may be right about the sourcing however the fact that the media is being used is correct.

The Patriots were extremely lucky in how the draw went in the playoffs last season. They also could have lost to the Ravens at the end. With another year of decline for Johnson/Branch, that WR corps is in desperate need of upgrading if the team is going to get back to the SB.

This is a misconception that really is a slight to the team.
They played the 4 and 2 seeds and they were the 1. You can't really have a more difficult route, unless you want to say Pittsburgh would have been a tougher opponent, but really, that is kind of silly given the mess they were by playoff time.
The common perception was missing either Pitt or Balt to not have to play them back to back would help, but really, the road would have been no tougher if it included Pitt.

The belief also was that missing GB or NO in the SB would be a good draw, but given that we lost the SB that really isn't a valid point anymore.

Unfortunately, Manning isn't just any other client. Normally, I would agree, but with Manning and all the visits are probably taking up most of his time. I am sure that that both sides are talking, but I don't see him seriously negotiating unless the Pats give in (which is unlikely) until after Manning is done touring.

Condon isn't spending 24/7 on the phone with Tenn, Denver and SF.
He is fully capable of dealing with more than 3 phone calls a day.
There is no way any player would accept an agent telling them they have to put their negotiation on hold because he is busy working with a more important client. I guarantee you Peyton Manning isn't more important to Brandon Lloyd than Brandon Lloyd.
Condon would not be an agent with many clients if he was incapable of handling more than 1 negotiation at a time.
Not to mention I don't see why you would think Mannings deal would be any more time consuming than any other.

There is no way any player would accept an agent telling them they have to put their negotiation on hold because he is busy working with a more important client. I guarantee you Peyton Manning isn't more important to Brandon Lloyd than Brandon Lloyd.
Condon would not be an agent with many clients if he was incapable of handling more than 1 negotiation at a time.
Not to mention I don't see why you would think Mannings deal would be any more time consuming than any other.

Latest update on Lloyd issue:

The Patriots and 49ers both have made offers to free-agent WR Brandon Lloyd, according to a league source.

The Patriots are working through negotiations with Lloyd, but nothing has been finalized.

Lloyd openly has expressed his desire to play for the Patriots because of his relationship with Pats OC Josh McDaniels.

The Boston Herald reported Saturday that one of the holdups in the Patriots’ recruitment of Lloyd is the wideouts’ asking price. The Herald reported that Lloyd’s asking price is too high, but a league source said that was inaccurate.

====

"He said, She said"...

This is by far you worst analysis of the year.

I doubt very much if Condon is even consulted with regard to Lloyd on a daily basis. Condon is the head of a sports agency. There are several agents. I strongly suspect that Condon is not even working on Lloyd. He has his quarterbacks to consider.

I have been a negotiator on many contracts (not sports contracts). I assure you that Condon has much more time devoted to the Manning contract than 3 phone calls a day.
You might consider what his likely cut will be. Condon (as any agent or agency) will allocate its resources based on probable return and urgency.

Isn't Condon also the agent for Smith and Brees?

I guarantee you Peyton Manning isn't more important to Brandon Lloyd than Brandon Lloyd.

Condon probably isn't on the phone with anyone very much right now. He is traveling with Manning meeting teams this weekend and letting them see him throw. He isn't going to be on the field with Elway and Manning and say "Wait a minute, I got the Pats on the line."

Manning is obviously more important to Condon than Lloyd. Manning is a HOF QB looking at a $90 million contract. Lloyd's entire contract is probably going to be less than Manning's signing bonus.

No agents don't negotiate one deal at a time, but when a HOF QB looking at one of the biggest deals in the NFL is going on tour to prove to teams that he can throw and put a deadline on getting a deal done by Tuesday, that client takes top priority and most of his time. This is an unique situation that has probably never happened before or possibly again.

Last edited:

Not for long for Smith. Word out of San Fran is Smith may fire Condon because he feels Condon isn't doing what is best for him shopping Manning to the 49ers. Definitely a case where Condon put Manning's priorities over another client.

I doubt very much if Condon is even consulted with regard to Lloyd on a daily basis. Condon is the head of a sports agency. There are several agents. I strongly suspect that Condon is not even working on Lloyd. He has his quarterbacks to consider.

I have been a negotiator on many contracts (not sports contracts). I assure you that Condon has much more time devoted to the Manning contract than 3 phone calls a day.
You might consider what his likely cut will be. Condon (as any agent or agency) will allocate its resources based on probable return and urgency.

The quote you quoted merely says Lloyd's situation is more important to Lloyd than Mannings situation is to Lloyd. How would that qualify as poor analysis? Maybe because it is obvious?

When the F*** will we sign this player? I do not like rumors, I would like he was a Patriot RIGHT NOW !

Last edited:
Lloyd will break eventually. I would be surprised if his signing doesn't come before Peyton's big decision

When the F*** will we sign this player? I do not like rumors, I would like he would be a Patriot RIGHT NOW !

I suggest calling BB and tell him to get moving ;)

OK so Peyton Manning means more to Brandon Lloyd than Brandon Lloyd means to himself?

If your argument is that someone other than Condon is really representing Lloyd, then there is no issue, because the argument was that Lloyd can't sign a contract because Condon told him to go sit in the corner while he works on Manning.

It doesn't matter what Condons cut is, he cannot dismiss one client by telling him another is more important because he will get a bigger payday. That is ridiculous.

What exactly do you think Condon is doing with Manning that ties him up 24/7 so that Lloyd has to not work on an offer while teams sign other players instead?

Is it seriously your position that Brandon Lloyd is in a position where he cannot exercise his right as a Free Agent because he hired an agent who tells him to S T F U and wait until Peytie-boy gets his contract, and then he will slum with him if there are any teams left that haven't signed someone else?

PS Manning hasn't even decided which team he wants to negotiate with yet.

Condon probably isn't on the phone with anyone very much right now. He is traveling with Manning meeting teams this weekend and letting them see him throw. He isn't going to be on the field with Elway and Manning and say "Wait a minute, I got the Pats on the line."

Manning is obviously more important to Condon than Lloyd. Manning is a HOF QB looking at a $90 million contract. Lloyd's entire contract is probably going to be less than Manning's signing bonus.

No agents don't negotiate one deal at a time, but when a HOF QB looking at one of the biggest deals in the NFL is going on tour to prove to teams that he can throw and put a deadline on getting a deal done by Tuesday, that client takes top priority and most of his time. This is an unique situation that has probably never happened before or possibly again.

He cannot tell a client to sit on the sidelines for a week while he works on another guy who will make him more. Not and still have clients.
Why would Manning be taking up more of his time than any other player? He hasn't even decided where he wants to play in order to have a contract negotiation.

What exactly does he have to do with Manning that would make him shut off all of his other clients?
Brandon Lloyd is supposed to watch other teams sign WRs instead of him and accept that his agent can't handle his FA until sometime late next week? Really?

Lloyd will break eventually. I would be surprised if his signing doesn't come before Peyton's big decision

Rams and MarioManningham ironing out a contract, as we speak.

So, if Lloyd is so good, and he played for Rams, last year, why isn't Rams trying to keep Lloyd?

Also, whatever the Niners contract to Lloyd may not be real..

He cannot tell a client to sit on the sidelines for a week while he works on another guy who will make him more. Not and still have clients.
Why would Manning be taking up more of his time than any other player? He hasn't even decided where he wants to play in order to have a contract negotiation.

What exactly does he have to do with Manning that would make him shut off all of his other clients?
Brandon Lloyd is supposed to watch other teams sign WRs instead of him and accept that his agent can't handle his FA until sometime late next week? Really?

The simple fact of life. If client A is going to net you 3% of $90 million and another client is going to net you 3% of $15-18 million, the client gets 3% of $90 million gets special attention. Look at it as a law firm, lawyers put other clients on the back burner all the time if they got a case for a much bigger client.

Condon is probably fielding calls for Lloyd and making counter offers for Lloyd, but be isn't about to get into heavy negotiations this weekend. He could pass it off to an associate to do, but his focus is on Peyton Manning and already looks to potentially lost him a client in Alex Smith because of it.

Rams and MarioManningham ironing out a contract, as we speak.

So, if Lloyd is so good, and he played for Rams, last year, why isn't Rams trying to keep Lloyd?

Also, whatever the Niners contract to Lloyd may not be real..

Word is that the Rams are looking for YAC guys which wasn't his forte last year. Also, they did try to keep him before free agency, but odds are they got the feel that Lloyd was going to New England unless they grossly overpaid him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News