PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Crable in the doghouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sputtering "despicable" over and over again and crying about the state of media - over THIS post - is the height of juvenile fanboy delirium. Overreact much?

Do you not agree that it is terrible, sensationalist, reporting? He's creating a story where there isn't one.

Isnt the first rule of journalism something like "report on the story, don't become the story"?

1) The freakout that ensued would be unwarranted in any situation.

2) That's especially so because SMY is a credible source whose job is to know a lot about the Patriots. She never presented the speculation as fact, and, even though I don't agree with the interpretation that was given, it pretty obviously wasn't malicious or careless.

Journalists should be held to a higher standard. Her post was piss poor journalism.

Many of us study Belichick's responses in press conferences and try to read between the lines to glean what he is really thinking. He falls into patterns and when he breaks from a pattern, it is often the most revealing. The press is often oblivious to these hints, usually concentrating on his literal answers. This is one case where I think the press, in the form of SMY, got it right. If you study BB-speak, you know his not mentioning Crable directly when asked a direct question about him is not a good sign. By contrast, I've heard him mention Redd and Guyton (but not Crable) in a positive light a few times this off-season, often without prompting. As someone who thinks BB reveals more in his answers than is commonly believed, I'd say SMY has made a fair inference, one I happen to agree with.

Sorry SMY. I started this thread. My intention was to pass along your opinion to fellow Patriots fans. It was not my intention to subject you to the personal attacks you have received on this message board. I should have known better.

Thank you for responding and keep up the good work.

Journalists should be held to a higher standard. Her post was piss poor journalism.

If it was reported as fact, I would agree. But it wasn't. I don't agree with her take on it, but that was the opinion that she had based on following Belichick for a long time, and she stated it as such.

And what is wrong with expressing an opinion about the "quality" of the "journalism" when a beat writer makes up a story about a player and then states that the Patriots would correct it if it is wrong?

And what is wrong with expressing an opinion about the "quality" of the "journalism" when a beat writer makes up a story about a player and then states that the Patriots would correct it if it is wrong?

There's nothing wrong with stating that opinion. In fact, I share it, and have stated it myself- I think that SMY is wrong on this one.

Your pathetic, rambling, and incoherent tirade, however, went pretty far beyond expressing an opinion. FFS, you even started a thread about how you have a hunch that SMY's about to fired. I'd think that it was idiotic and out of line no matter who you were responding to. Personally, it bugs me because it promotes the widely held impression that people that post on messageboards are self-important, out-of-touch lunatics who just like to flame people for the hell of it.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with stating that opinion. In fact, I share it, and have stated it myself- I think that SMY is wrong on this one.

Your pathetic, rambling, and incoherent tirade, however, went pretty far beyond expressing an opinion. I'd think that it was idiotic and out of line no matter who you were responding to.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. ;)

What's wrong with hunches? Isn't that what it's all about now? I mean, who needs actual sources. Just run with a hunch and the Patriots will correct it if it's wrong. Just like I'm sure the ProJo would if a "hunch" about how they viewed one of their employees, based on absolutely nothing, were wrong.

I did exactly the same thing to the ProJo reporter that the ProJo reporter did to Shawn Crable. Ran with a "hunch" phrased in the form of a question.

What's wrong with hunches? Isn't that what it's all about now? I mean, who needs actual sources. Just run with a hunch and the Patriots will correct it if it's wrong. Just like I'm sure the ProJo would if a "hunch" about how they viewed one of their employees, based on absolutely nothing, were wrong.

I did exactly the same thing to the ProJo reporter that the ProJo reporter did to Shawn Crable. Ran with a "hunch" phrased in the form of a question.

Congratulatons, you've clowned yourself.

If you think that the thread that you started is comparable to SMY's interpretation of what Belichick said, based on having observed the guy in action for quite a while now, then you're delusional. I'm not going to try to talk sense into someone that's that willfully ignorant.

You laugh, but this is EXACTLY what Felger did when Vrabel was traded. he said, there is no evidence that Kraft forced the release of Vrabel because Vrable was critical of the owners money and mentioned Patriot Place, but if that is why Vrabel was cut, it is a terrible thing and I will have lost all respect...

Oh Spacecrime, I still respect you, a little...

If you think that the thread that you started is comparable to SMY's interpretation of what Belichick said, based on having observed the guy in action for quite a while now, then you're delusional. I'm not going to try to talk sense into someone that's that willfully ignorant.

It's not the same thing. I didn't publish it in a newspaper article.

SMY, quick question: whose headline was it? Yours? The editor's?

Your pathetic, rambling, and incoherent tirade, however, went pretty far beyond expressing an opinion. FFS, you even started a thread about how you have a hunch that SMY's about to fired. I'd think that it was idiotic and out of line no matter who you were responding to. Personally, it bugs me because it promotes the widely held impression that people that post on messageboards are self-important, out-of-touch lunatics who just like to flame people for the hell of it.

Completely agree. This is a great community. Don't want to see it become like an ESPN messageboard. Hard to stop I guess.

Last edited:
Maybe somebody should post a list of Patriots "journalists" that are fair game for criticism and those that are not.

I've already been informed that Patriots Football Weekly and the Pro Jo should not be criticized here.

I'm assuming that Borges and Felger are still fair game, but I'll wait for the approved list.

I thought the story wasn't what was hinted at in the headline. The headline I hope wasn't her choice otherwise she really needs to be more careful with her wording to not appear to say one thing and have the article be about another.

She has the guts to stand up to the internet message boards, she at least deserves some slack.

Shalize, thanks for offering us your insight and being part of our dysfunctional little world here. When you get a chance, please see if Bill will speak to how Angelo Craig and Bo Ruud are doing, from what I've read he seems comfortable with the progress of Mayo, Guyton, and Redd. I'd also like to here more directly from Pierre Wood on how he's feeling.

Wow, just wow. If you think she over reacted to a "hunch" some of you people are way overreacting to her "overreaction".

I always found her to be one of the fairest of reporters. She stated that she would hold herself accountable if she was wrong. I have no reason to believe that she won't.

We are not talking Borges,Tomase, or even Felger here. Lets see if this has any basis of fact, and if she does come back and corrects herself if she is wrong. Ill bet she does, and I'll bet some of you who overreacted won't apoligize to her if she is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News