PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Crable in the doghouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm going to say is that smy has shown more stones than any other reporter. No matter what you may think of her assumption she had the integrity and the guts to sign on and at least try and explain herself, something a few other reporters who shall remain nameless haven't done.

Plus she's willing to print a retraction if she's wrong; again,something we haven't seen much of and regarding far more important stories than this one, like ohforexample, knees and ends of careers.

I thought this was a leap too and I'm no fan of the media(with 2-3 exceptions) but certainly this isn't worth all the vitriol spewing forth here from a couple of you guys.

I give her HUGE props for stopping by and addressing people's concerns. I may not like the story but ironically my respect-o-meter skyrocketed for having the stones to say something and defend herself amidst some pretty nasty backlash.

Just to be clear: I don't care, one way or another, whether a Pats backup linebacker is or is not "in the doghouse".

What I care about is drawing that conclusion from something Coach Belichick didn't say in a very lengthy answer about second year players in general and then printing a newspaper article on the thinest of hunches that, essentially, throws a player under the bus. If a reporter is going to publish a newspaper article saying that a player is "in the doghouse", there should at least be an effort to ask the Patriots if it's even true or some kind of evidence that it is. This is exactly the same kind of "reporting" that Thomase did when he broke the story of the Patriots taping the Rams practice. In the old days, journalists had to have sources.

Shalize, thank you for your thoughts. I'm embarrassed by the quality of some of the reactions you have brought out. I hope you don't believe that all of the board members think that way.

Just to be clear: I don't care, one way or another, whether a Pats backup linebacker is or is not "in the doghouse".

What I care about is drawing that conclusion from something Coach Belichick didn't say in a very lengthy answer about second year players in general and then printing a newspaper article on the thinest of hunches that, essentially, throws a player under the bus. If a reporter is going to publish a newspaper article saying that a player is "in the doghouse", there should at least be an effort to ask the Patriots if it's even true or some kind of evidence that it is. This is exactly the same kind of "reporting" that Thomase did when he broke the story of the Patriots taping the Rams practice. In the old days, journalists had to have sources.

When they're stating something as a fact, yes. When something is labeled as speculation from the get-go, then the fact that it's speculation just isn't a big deal. Hence the question mark. If SMY had written that Crable was obviously in the doghouse, then that would be irresponsible journalism. Speculating as to whether or not he might be, based on a notable occurrence... well, that's a large part of what beat writers do. Despite the fact that I did not get the same impression from the video, I still find it interesting to know that SMY *did* gather that from it.

Shalize, thanks for offering us your insight and being part of our dysfunctional little world here. When you get a chance, please see if Bill will speak to how Angelo Craig and Bo Ruud are doing, from what I've read he seems comfortable with the progress of Mayo, Guyton, and Redd. I'd also like to here more directly from Pierre Wood on how he's feeling.

He's pissed from being put in the doghouse.

You have a very large problem with the English language.

She didn't "draw a conclusion". She didn't write that Crable IS "in the doghouse". She wrote that Belichick's answer was vague, and she questioned whether Crable MAY be in the doghouse.

Honestly, fella, we all got your point. The writer got your point also. Message received.

However, to put this in the same category of publishing a level of CERTITUDE that Tomase did re: the Ram SuperBowl "taping" says more about you and your judgement than anything you can lob at Manza Young.

SMY HAD a source for what she reported. It was Belichick standing in front of a freaking microphone. That was her source. She named him. Very simple. Then she offered a (in my opinion) far reaching possible interpretation of what he spoke. However, she clearly denoted that it was her reading between the lines of what was said. She made no "claim".

It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye