PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Crable in the doghouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken, SMY was the reporter who got Samuel's tattoo right, and got it out there that there was a difference between what was being reported throughout the media and what was actually on the tat; and further explained the shade of meaning that we might not have quite been getting (i.e., the old "get rich to this" vs. "get rich or die trying" discussion.)

When I read the quoted bit from ProJo I did not read "close to being released," I read "may be in the doghouse."

We've had only one other member of the Boston sports media come on here, and SMY does it under a recognizable screen name and with far more professionalism. My assumption is she is trying to stay in touch with what fans think. It amazes me that more reporters don't do the same, except when one considers the pitfalls that could accompany the practice. At any rate, when she dips in here she routinely displays professionalism and respect for the truth, the team, and the fans, in that order and with the first far outstripping the other two. That's her function. She quotes her source, and his initials are B.B. She recounts what he said, then proffers an opinion (which is pretty clearly marked as an opinion) about what it may mean.

I think there's some trashing the messenger going on here. The story says "may be..." and thus acknowledges its partially speculative nature, and then goes on to report supporting information.

It's not quite Parcells calling Terry Glenn "She", but "the player" sounds pretty desultory to me. Even if he's tired, or just unimpressed to the point of blanking on a guy's name, a pronoun is usually the way to go. "The player" is a bit reminiscent of the expectation that cadets refer to themselves as "this cadet" in order to help them disavow their egos.

But of course I'm no mindreader. The point is, SMY does not claim to be one either in this article.

A final coda: She wrote this because we're starved for Patriots news, and she had some. This is unusual nomenclature, and may have some meaning. Pats fans -- the readership -- want to know if that happens, if you ask me. This isn't making up a supposed "source" about a walkthrough video, this is reporting what happened and daring to go all the way to that fifth "w", "why."

[end rant]

PFnV

why does this guy have a vendetta against whoever?

and isn't this all a little over the top for a blurb about a guy who might be in the doghouse?

it's the doghouse.......

Last edited:
haha....am I supposed to believe belichick would confirm or deny a doghouse sighting?

anyway, thx for the blurb --- that's the kind of insight I like from beat reporters like you or reiss.

I just listened to the tape and if there was any insight to be gained Shalise must have other sources 'cause there was NOTHING there from which to draw the conclusion she did.

And the problem with that is that headline will not go away if her conclusion is wrong. Once you put it out there, the player will live with it rightly or wrongly. Even if you later retract it or claim an inadvertent error. Just ask BB.

I also like SMY, but my problem with this is that it leads to speculation upon this speculation. In the blog itself the original speculation leads to this further piece of speculation:
"The Ohio native, who played at Michigan, may not be participating in the offseason program as fervently as the coaches would like."

That's quite a leap, imo.

Thank you to all who have defended me! It was certainly an interesting two days...

FYI: Patrick Chung will be the only player who will be introduced via the jersey presentation and photo op with Mr. Kraft Thursday afternoon. Since NE didn't have a first-rounder and four twos, we were debating how that event would be handled, but it will be just Chung.

smy

Well, this will be one of the places that makes sure it never goes away, Mo, by acting as though someone has been grievously slandered here, and going on about long after it stops mattering.

All she said - not necessarily in an above the fold headline in tomorrow morning's paper, by the way - is that she wonders if Crable is okay with Belichick based on that exchange today. Okay, that's interesting, let's see if its true and if anything comes of it. First I've heard of it, so I'll see if I hear any more. If I do, okay. If I don't, all the better.

Its so frigging minor that it in no way warrants an extended debate about the ethics of this reporter. It's the height of overreaction.

I understand what you guys are saying about speculation, and I actually completely agree w/it, but we're just talking about some guy maybe being the doghouse, not taping walkthroughs.

if he's actually not in the doghouse I'm not sure why he, or anybody on the pats, would care one way or the other.
they'd most likely take it as an opportunity to bust his balls in the locker room, if anything.

Much ado about nothing IMO. I didn't interpret it as him being in the doghouse. He's just a player who hasn't proved himself. Could be interpreted that way. I think the press conference is on tape so we can agree or disagree.

I don't see him ever praising guys that haven't played yet. Basically, he's in the category of having proved nothing. Soon he'll be either showing something on the field or a lot in practice, or making way for someone else.

BB doesn't project a career curve for players who haven't shown anything, unlike some prognosticators on message boards.

BB doesn't project a career curve for players who haven't shown anything, unlike some prognosticators on message boards.

That's a great point. Might explain the angry reaction and foolish thread starting over a minor observation. Maybe some have invested some emotional capital in this particular horse.

while we're talking about crable --- what'd they IR him for?
I can't remember.

and was that mystery maroney injury ever explained?

Much ado about nothing IMO. I didn't interpret it as him being in the doghouse. He's just a player who hasn't proved himself. Could be interpreted that way. I think the press conference is on tape so we can agree or disagree.

I don't see him ever praising guys that haven't played yet. Basically, he's in the category of having proved nothing. Soon he'll be either showing something on the field or a lot in practice, or making way for someone else.

Precisely. BB is known to say, "Let's not put him in the HOF yet" when folks get effusive over a young player's initial success. He's laconic and sometimes this could be interpreted as dissin the guy. I didn't hear it that way but then I'm a fanboy of the skinny legged Crab. What I'd like is someone to report on has the dude bulked up his Chris Canty stick legs this off season or not? Enquiring minds want to know. "Ah gots ta KNOW!"

Last edited:
Also, he's on the spot, through no fault of his own, because there's no clue where else we might get a pass rush at this point. (no knock on Seymour or A.D., but I think there's a consensus we need a boost in that area). What else are people going to ask? Maybe about the four nose tackle "big bottom" defense. (Clive Rush gone to 11).

Last edited:
i'm impressed that smy came on here and attempted to clarify her point. that's very stand up on her part.

while we're talking about crable --- what'd they IR him for?
I can't remember.

and was that mystery maroney injury ever explained?

I'm pretty sure it was a shoulder, don't remember there being any mystery about it. He tried to play and pretty obviously was favoring one side or another when running. He's previously had shoulder surgery. I don't know why people get all in a tizzy about it, running backs get injured, just ask Fred Taylor.

here

Maroney is done for season - The Boston Globe

BB (and Parcells, for that matter) has a well pronounced (rational or irrational) disdain for anyone who is injured. It's part of his persona, and let's face it - - he learned some of that at the knee of the Tuna.

Tuna's Terry Glenn "she" comment, the T. Johnson concussion thing, the Patrick Pass quotes from Weiss and Seeley in Holley's book.

IR or missing time due to injury is as close to a Scarlet Letter that you can get to these (let's face it) mean bastahds.

SMY may have made a stretch here, but she didn't report it as "fact" in any way. She clearly put it as speculation and then gave the reason why. She didn't write "He's in the doghouse" and then give no reason for stating something with certitude. That wasn't what she did at all.

It's nowhere NEAR Jackie MacMullen making up the words to Asante Samuel's tattoo in a column appearing the morning of a playoff game.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was a shoulder, don't remember there being any mystery about it. He tried to play and pretty obviously was favoring one side or another when running. He's previously had shoulder surgery. I don't know why people get all in a tizzy about it, running backs get injured, just ask Fred Taylor.

here

Maroney is done for season - The Boston Globe

dude, you read that link and you're telling me it's not mysterious?

I wouldn't be surprised if crable's just in the same doghouse maroney was supposedly in.
when they start throwing around 'the player', that's it.
doesn't mean he'll stay in there, though.

BB (and Parcells, for that matter) has a well pronounced (rational or irrational) disdain for anyone who is injured. It's part of his persona, and let's face it - - he learned some of that at the knee of the Tuna.

Tuna's Terry Glenn "she" comment, the T. Johnson concussion thing, the Patrick Pass quotes from Weiss and Seeley in Holley's book.

To me, Parcell's dissing of T.O by referring to him as "the player" is right up there, and BB's use of the term in referring to one of his players could be interpreted as such.

The other thing is that, if anyone is in a position to know how Crable's offseason program is going or how hard the Pats feel he is working, it's someone like SMY.

Last edited:
I guess Tomase's has made some people a little sensitive about all media members.
I know John Tomase, SMY is no Tomase.

i'm impressed that smy came on here and attempted to clarify her point. that's very stand up on her part.

If a newsperson can't stand up to the braying morons that frequent message boards in such a non-confrontational medium as the internet they are doomed.

Personally I think the inference she drew was so kneejerk and poorly thought-out as to be borderline ******ed but to assume malevolence on her part is doubly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes