PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Skins to make a move on Asante?

Re: Saints are team of concern as are the Jets

It's not from PFT,but from the sports reporter of the
Washington Times.

What's being overlooked,here,is the focus totally on Asante Samuels.

What the 'skins desperately need is a pass-rushing DE for their 4-3 defense.This is what they are looking to draft.

Now,lets put Jarvis Green into the equation and this scenario becomes much more viable.

Green is under contract,and though valuable to the
Patriots,he is not essential.

He would be very attractive to the Redskins and if
the 'skins make a call about Asante,I'll bet they will
also ask about Jarvis Green.

Green is our best pass rushing defensive lineman. I don't think they'll give him up.

Green is our best pass rushing defensive lineman. I don't think they'll give him up.

I don't either....I was commenting on a possible deal with Wash.

There's no doubt that Green would be better in a 4-3 and that's why I think he would be in play,here

The Skins gave up #13 in 2003 to get Peerless Price. At this point, I think most would consider Samuel more valuable than Price was back then.

Uh, what? You mean the Falcons, right?

What's being overlooked,here,is the focus totally on Asante Samuels.

Who's this Asante Samuels you're talking about?

I know only ASANTE SAMUEL. :)

Yeah, it's really annoying when people keep butchering a simple name. It's not SAMUELS! It's SAMUEL! How hard is that to remember?

Thanks,will correct

now,go back and make your third post about something meaningfull and w/o the Caps button stuck.

Doesn't Gil always call him Asante Samuels?

Profootballtalk reports that Daniel Snyder plans to make a call to the Pats about Samuel. Given they offered a pick swap (#6 for #31) in exchange for Lance Briggs, the site speculates that they might be interested in a similar deal for Samuel.

What do people think. This would put us in clear position to pick LaRon Landry (I wouldn't buy the Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson talk). Or, we could move the pick down a few spots, pick up another 3rd/2008 pick, and get Patrick Willis.

Would you make the deal if Dan Snyder called?

I prefer to keep Samuel and hold his feet to the fire, gambling that he will take $8 million this season rather than $0 and sitting out.

But in terms of a fair deal - consider that the #6 pick could be looked at as a Richard Seymour type player who could well outplay his rookie contract.

Does Seymour = Samuel? Or would you have to sweeten the pot and add another draft pick with Samuel to make it fair?

should give him more than 2 years to declare anyone a bust

I think Schefter is going to be right on this. I don't think the Redskins value CBs as much as other players (unless his name is Deon Sanders who got a stupid contract from Snyder). Remember the Redskins gave up Champ Bailey and a second rounder for Clinton Portis. That will go down as one of the dumbest trades in the last decade. Snyder gave up a Hall of Fame CB and a second round pick for a RB.

Other than last year, Portis has been a very productive RB for the Redskins, but they would have seriously gotten the short end of the stick on that trade of they traded Bailey for Portis straight up. Bailey is a player who comes around once in a generation. Portis is a very good back, but not one of the one or two or three best backs in the league.

But I digress.

Everything I've read on PFT has been wrong:rolleyes:

then you must not read PFT a lot because they are often right - though they are used as a "tool" by many GMs to generate interest about players when there really is none.

But I agree this one is a bit far fetched as they don't need a CB.

Going further still they speculate about packaging #24 and #6 for Calvin Johnson.

Not that its going to happen but Brady and Calvin Johnson might be able to do a teeny weenie bit of damage in the NFL.

Last edited:
The thing is that PFT didn't post an original rumor that they heard through sources. They posted a link from a legitimate news source in the Washington Times. So I think the validity of PFT is irrelevant.

That said, what the Times wrote was pretty ambiguous. There is nothing in the article that the writer has direct knowledge that the Skins are planning to contact the Pats or that he is speculating.

Chris Berman: "And now Commissioner Goodell is making his way to the podium".

Commissioner Goodell: "With thee ah sixth selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams, by way of a trade through the New England Patriots, select Gaines Adams, Defensive End, Clemson" ..."In the trade, New England will receive St. Louis's 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2007 and St. Louis's 1st and 5th round picks in 2008".

Berman:...."I'm speechless"....

Chris Berman: "And now Commissioner Goodell is making his way to the podium".

Commissioner Goodell: "With thee ah sixth selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams, by way of a trade through the New England Patriots, select Gaines Adams, Defensive End, Clemson" ..."In the trade, New England will receive St. Louis's 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2007 and St. Louis's 1st and 5th round picks in 2008".

Berman:...."I'm speechless"....

I would be speechless as well - why wouldn't we get St. Louis' first round pick this year? (I know this is pure speculation)

Rodgers, yes, Springs, hell no.

The Skins gave up #13 in 2003 to get Peerless Price. At this point, I think most would consider Samuel more valuable than Price was back then.

Peerless Price???? Didn't he go to the Falcons?

then you must not read PFT a lot because they are often right - though they are used as a "tool" by many GMs to generate interest about players when there really is none.

But I agree this one is a bit far fetched as they don't need a CB.

Going further still they speculate about packaging #24 and #6 for Calvin Johnson.

Not that its going to happen but Brady and Calvin Johnson might be able to do a teeny weenie bit of damage in the NFL.

Pro Football Talk is a rockin site... prolly my favorite; other then this one!

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back