PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Simeon Rice, the best best in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackPMiller

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I took out some segments of the article, but if you want to read it in full, click the link below

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/01/Bucs/Simeon_sounds_off__I_.shtml

Simeon sounds off: I'm the best

He says he lives for the game but gets no respect, is better than sack leader Strahan and should be MVP.

By STEPHEN F. HOLDER
Published August 1, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm the best at this game," said Rice, 32. "(People) don't want to respect it. I'm what they passed the torch to.

Sometimes I might get booted out of the Pro Bowl. But I'm what Bruce Smith and Reggie White passed the torch to. I'm the next level. I'm the bar in this game. Like it or love it."

"Michael Strahan is great," Rice said. "To see him doing it late in his career, still getting double digits (in sacks), I give him the ultimate love. But he's still not me. Because if you look at what I've done year after year, I don't have four sacks in one year."

"People will say, 'Wow, you had a great year, Sim.' For me, I don't even care about the Pro Bowl. My thing is, how are you going to have a defensive MVP award and I'm not even (considered)? How are you going to (pull) names from the air like that?"

"I'm just misunderstood. But that shouldn't even be a part of the equation unless they want me on the cover of a cereal box," he said. "I'm probably not a Wheaties guy. I'm talking strictly football. I'm not talking personality and flare. That has its place: E!, MTV, BET.

"Let's just ignore that. Let's just honor the game. That's where you'll find me. If you get into, wow, he's an oddity or how do we package this, you can't fit me into a bottle. Let's just talk about performance because performance is black and white."

"I play to cement my name in this game forever," Rice said. "I play to help this team get to a Super Bowl. I've made the paper. I've got the Benjamins. I've got the Ferrari. I've been places that many people can't even talk about. That's all a (result) of hard work. But to sustain all of that, there's a reason why I play this game: to be in the likes of the great ones. That, to me, is what this game is all about."

This is how I rate the top 5,
1. Julius Peppers - Panthers
2. Dwight Freeny - Colts
3. Richard Seymore - Patriots
4. Leonard Little - Rams
5. Simeon Rice - Bucs

I have Rice in the top 5, but not the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News