PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign Moss long term now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd try to sign Moss and let Stalworth go. Stalworth's been a pleasure to watch but his options make him too expensive. I think Moss will give the Pats a home town discount on an extension. He's been around the league for sometime now, made a bunch of money and now he wants to be happy and build on his legacy as a winner. I don't see him chancing going through what he did in Oakland again.

I'd try to sign Moss and let Stalworth go. Stalworth's been a pleasure to watch but his options make him too expensive. I think Moss will give the Pats a home town discount on an extension. He's been around the league for sometime now, made a bunch of money and now he wants to be happy and build on his legacy as a winner. I don't see him chancing going through what he did in Oakland again.

Check out MoLewisRocks' post.

I personally don't see what is so unreasonable about Stallworth's contract. The salary cap increases with every year and so with it will salaries, which is something to keep in mind when evaluating a multi-year deal.

Its against league rules to renegotiate a new contract for him now...I dont remeber the reason why that is....

as much as i hate to say it, i think we should ship rosie colvin some where else, to have some wiggle room... thats the only way we can keep both stallworth and moss... this is not a knock on rosie's abilities and productivity, its just we need to set our priorities... rosie had a good run with us, won a ring, now its time to move on (the OLB spot vacated by Colvin will be filled by Jason Taylor)

Its against league rules to renegotiate a new contract for him now...I dont remeber the reason why that is....

Actually, it is against league rules to renegotiate his OLD contract twice in one year.

The team is free to sign him to a NEW contract provided that it is not a renegotiation as defined by the CBA.

In this case, with Moss only signed through the end of this year, the renegotiation limitation has little meaningful consequence for the Patriots.

Last edited:
as much as i hate to say it, i think we should ship rosie colvin some where else, to have some wiggle room... thats the only way we can keep both stallworth and moss... this is not a knock on rosie's abilities and productivity, its just we need to set our priorities... rosie had a good run with us, won a ring, now its time to move on (the OLB spot vacated by Colvin will be filled by Jason Taylor)

Rosie isn't playing well enough right now to justify the additional $5.5M hit that he have for keeping him next year. But at the beginning of the season he certainly was playing well enough.

Lets see how he performs when the Patriots actually face serious competition.

If he doesn't make the grade, we should try to sign him to a new deal (with a more appropriate cap hit) before we cut him.

Wouldn't they have to make some mid-season cuts and restructuring of some deals to make something happen before the off season?

Only if they changed his contract terms for 2007. You can extend contracts without giving pay raises for the current year, which the Patriots have done in the past.

To the OP, I actually believe Donte's going to stick around. That option bonus is large, but it can be converted and spread throughout the cap in order to lesson it's effect on the 2008 numbers. Also, the overall value of that contract isn't anything more than what NE had offered Deion Branch.

Kelley Washington is the guy not coming back without a major pay cut in 2008, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut this year.

Rosevelt Colvin has a big cap hit in 2008, so I believe they'll attempt an extension in order to adjust his effect on the 2008 cap.

Brady could probably take another restructure as well.

Right now the Patriots have around 6M left of their 2007 cap space, so they could afford to make a couple of moves as the season goes along.

Rosie isn't playing well enough right now to justify the additional $5.5M hit that he have for keeping him next year. But at the beginning of the season he certainly was playing well enough.

Lets see how he performs when the Patriots actually face serious competition.

If he doesn't make the grade, we should try to sign him to a new deal (with a more appropriate cap hit) before we cut him.

I agree, Rosie hasn't been effective so far as he has been in the past, but keep in mind, alot of that has to do with Big #93 not being on his side of the line to occupy 2 blockers, watch Rosie's play pickup after Richard arrives.

rosie has been haunting LT ... i do not know but for some reason LT and him go at it all game and rosie wins .

rosie is so underrated ,he has been in the top 10 defensive player to bring preasure on qb for a while .He complements vrabel when they both rush leading to sacks.Its bad to get rid of him at 30 .they will extend him for 4yrs and cut his numbers.

donta cap hit
6.3 next year
4.8 09
6.3 for 3 yrs.... the problem is with the market being what it is their is no way you can find someone cheaper to do what he does.he is very fast and also opens lanes for ben and wes but holding the safety on his side back.you can draft a few more WR but they will need 2-3 yrs to develop. Maybe dill realizes that after LB one needs vets in WR position and the odds of finding a good WR and developing him takes time .

Last edited:
Don't think that's an option. They're not allowed to redo a contract twice in 1 year and since he's only on a 1 year contract he will have to become a free agent after the season ends and then the Pats can sign him.

You're not allowed to give a player two pay raises within the same contract year. The Patriots haven't even given him one pay raise to this point?

But, I mentioned in my previous post, you can extend someone without changing their current salary.

Last edited:
I agree, Rosie hasn't been effective so far as he has been in the past, but keep in mind, alot of that has to do with Big #93 not being on his side of the line to occupy 2 blockers, watch Rosie's play pickup after Richard arrives.

Colvin was pretty effective early this season, and his level of play dropping off the past few games has more to do with his ankle injury than anything.

Seymour's not being in there to suck up the double teams is the other main contributor, though.

I dont know about jt.

Last edited:
I dont know about jt.

me 2 you are replacing a 30yr old who is good in coverage with a guy bad in coverage is a pure passer in mid 30s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft