PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sifting through the RB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about running back by committee is that even if one or two guys in your committee go down, you can find a more than adequate replacement on the free agent heap, even in the middle of the season. Case in point, BJGE last year...Cedric Benson was a midseason pickup for the Bengals last year and was decent enough.
This is true; check out Adam Caplan's list of best avail. FA RBs:
Scout.com: Updated Best Available Free Agents-Offense

On the other hand, if Seymour or Warren gets hurt, you have Mike Wright, but beyond that zero adequate replacements will be available in free agency in the middle of the season...
Also prob. true; Vonnie Holliday & Anthony Weaver seem the best avail. FA 3-4 DEs:
Scout.com: Updated Best Available Free Agents-Defense

Position scarcity isn't just a buzzword for draft strategy, people.
Are you saying then, that position scarity should be a consideration when formulating draft strategy? If you are, then I agree.

There's no way that the Pats keep only 5 DL. I'd say 6 at a minimum. Those big hosses up front need to get rotated to say fresh, not to mention that injuries can pile up over the season.

The Pats may keep up to 4 TE but they may also keep only 3, it depends on how they look to BB's eyes. I also think that Thomas is in danger of getting knocked off by Alex Smith.

4 wide receivers also looks like too few. I think this will end up being at least 5. And when Brandon Tate comes off PUP, we'll be carrying 6. The Pats high octane offense needs receivers in it for Brady to throw to.

The main question is RB. It's slightly overstocked. We'll keep at least 4, but if we intend to keep 5 and BJGE, that roster spot is going to have to be subtracted from somewhere else. Locks: Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris. Not locks - Maroney, BJGE.

Last edited:
*sigh* No love for BJGE. :(

I think BJGE gets a ton of love for a 5th stringer.

True, I can't even think of any 5th stringers that aren't on the Patriots.

True, I can't even think of any 5th stringers that aren't on the Patriots.

Same here. We're all rooting for Law Firm.

Same here. We're all rooting for Law Firm.

Actually, im rooting for Ventrone even more. He was like the only person last preseason who was catching balls, and he's not even supposed to be a WR. He's versatile, good STr. Im hoping he makes it.

BACK TO RB THING ;)
My only point about RBs is that i seriously doubt we make it through the season healthy, so i want five. Law firm is a good story, but i just want a fifth rb. Someone mentioned waiting till the injuries stack up, and then bringing someone in off the scrapheap. My only problem with that, is there is more to being a RB than just taking a handoff, and running straight. That someone had better be able to recieve, and pick up the blitz, or Tom could be in trouble. :mad:

Are you saying then, that position scarity should be a consideration when formulating draft strategy? If you are, then I agree.

I'm saying that it's important for both draft strategy and in coming up with a 53 man roster. Cutting Jarvis Green would seem stupid if Richard Seymour goes down for 6 games and you need to sign a geriatric Anthony Weaver to replace him. If Sammy Morris goes down for 6 games, guys like Ahman Green, Warrick Dunn, and Deuce McAllister, while no longer the players they were, are plenty adequate.

Besides, it's far easier for a veteran RB to learn the system quickly than it is for a veteran DE.

Last edited:
Exactly, and that's why I think that, unless one of the other 4 RBs become injured or traded, The Firm is facing a steep uphill climb to the 53. But if one of the TEs were injured or traded, then perhaps BJGE would take that spot.

Nashville has a good point, though: whoever comes from the scrapheap to the NEP better learn how to adequately pick up the blitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back