PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shoulder Surgery for Aaron Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people actually freaking out over Hernandez missing OTAs? Some people just need to find things to complain about, I guess.

Gronk's on the shelf, an undetermined time. That leaves Slater, Edelman, Fells and OhOh as the "veterans" for Brady and the new guys to work with.

Freaking out is overdoing it, but I'd say that the current circumstances certainly merit some comments and concerns.

If this makes him less worried about contact, or more able to hold onto the ball, it could actually be good news.

Gronk's on the shelf, an undetermined time. That leaves Slater, Edelman, Fells and OhOh as the "veterans" for Brady and the new guys to work with.

Freaking out is overdoing it, but I'd say that the current circumstances certainly merit some comments and concerns.

There really is no need for concern until we see the PUP list in training camp. At this point, most worst case scenarios have Gronk and Hernandez active opening day of training camp.

Personally, I won't even be concerned until Gronk and/or Hernandez are still on PUP after the second week of training camp.

At least he's having surgery now and not during the season.

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but WTF were the Patriots thinking when they did not re-sign Welker? They didn't know that Gronk & Hernandez were having issues? Neither of them has been able to stay on the field. Then they make a matchable offer to the guy from Pittsburgh? I just don't get it. I really don't. It's looking like we are going into the season with Amendola and Edelman. Those guys are not going to be able to carry the team. I said it before and I'll say it again. A disappointing 9-7 this year.

The Patriots refused to match, stop shining Kraft's knob.

the patriots offered 2/10 incentives to 16
the broncos offered 2/12 no incentives

Welker walked away because he didnt think he would reach the goals set for the 16. That's on him not thinking he would be as good as he has been, not on the patriots lowballing him.

On top of that welker rejected 2/16 last year most of which was guaranteed. Stop acting like the patriots offered welker veteran minimum, they offered him slightly better then market value 2 years in a row and he rejected it both times. Stop spending so much time around jet fans

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but WTF were the Patriots thinking when they did not re-sign Welker? They didn't know that Gronk & Hernandez were having issues? Neither of them has been able to stay on the field. Then they make a matchable offer to the guy from Pittsburgh? I just don't get it. I really don't. It's looking like we are going into the season with Amendola and Edelman. Those guys are not going to be able to carry the team. I said it before and I'll say it again. A disappointing 9-7 this year.

Gronk has played 43 out of a possible 48 regular season games (4 of 6 post season games) and played 42 games straight before missing his first game ever. How has Gronk become this injury prone player who can't stay on the field?

Gronk has played 43 out of a possible 48 regular season games (4 of 6 post season games) and played 42 games straight before missing his first game ever. How has Gronk become this injury prone player who can't stay on the field?

Also let's put into perspective up until Julian Edelman rolled Hernandez's ankle he had only missed two games that mattered.

Which were the last two games of the regular season his rookie season against the Bills who were 4-10 which was the game the Patriots locked up the #1 seed and the other game ws Dolphins which was the last regular season game.

If the Patriots absolutely needed him those two final games in 2010 he would have went.

I would rather have Someone getting fixed up instead of hurt in the season.

What they were thinking is that they fully expect that both Gronk and Hernandez will be good to go this season, so that's not really related to Welker in any significant way. That's not how the Pats do business.

He hasnt become injury prone, people just love to freak the @#)% out all of the time. Past injuries, especially ones of the nature that his and hernandez were, are not indicative of someone who is "injury prone" which is the most overused and exaggerated phrases

He hasnt become injury prone, people just love to freak the @#)% out all of the time. Past injuries, especially ones of the nature that his and hernandez were, are not indicative of someone who is "injury prone" which is the most overused and exaggerated phrases

Gronkowski missed a year of college football due to a back injury, and he's now had multiple breaks on the same arm and an infection in that same arm, as well. You're acting as if he's never had so much as a boo boo in his life before. Call it injury prone, call it unlucky, call it "Bob, the amazing climbing fish". It doesn't matter what you call it because, whatever you call it, the guy's gotten hurt.

I really think the "injury prone" label ist hrown around here about players, especially those that suffer broken bones etc... playing in the NFL. When I think of injury prone I think of a player that has a debilitative injury that gets worse with time and has little prospect of improvement. Sebastian Vollmer is far closer to injury prone than Aaron Hernadez. He has back problems which have a higher than average chance of re-occurring in the future.

If I break my collar bone (Amendola) and miss time I am less injury prone than someone whom has had knee injuries during their career and are getting up in years (Welker.) Fans seem to hold a vendetta against any player that has a freak injury. I doubt that franchise administrations view players that have correctable injuries in the same way.

When we look at the future injury prospects of a player we have to consider just that the FUTURE likelihood of injury not the past performance. Broken bones are not a disease. A shoulder injury can linger example I can think of would be past patriot CB Duane Starks recovered from his shoulder injury (torn tendons.) We have no information here that would lend any credence to a theory that Aaron has any sort of injury like that.

Injuries are rarely positive, they happen, it is a violent sport played at the highest level with bigger stronger faster athletes creating more forceful collisions. Any player can go down on any play if their number is up. Only in special circumstances does it mean that a player will never recover or that it will be a career threatening injury.

Greg Bedard is reporting that Hernandez is got a minor scope two weeks ago and could be ready for mini-camp in June.

The surgery, which a source said was a minor scope, will keep Hernandez out of off-season practices. He could be ready for the June mini-camp, but that's a ways off. Hernandez will stay in Calif. to rehab.

Aaron Hernandez had minor shoulder surgery - Extra Points - Boston.com

This is much ado about nothing.

Can someone explain to me why Bill felt the need to extend these two, especially Hernandez, so damn soon?

Let's explain away all injuries to make ourselves feel good about the receiving corps. If we all say it repeatedly it will mean these guys aren't injury prone! Amendola is healthy he just had 2 freak injuries!

By the way Ras-I isn't injury prone he actually only missed his senior year of college and was so healthy before that guys! And then he got unlucky with a hip injury his rookie year that carried into this year. So really guys Ras-I also isn't injury prone, just like Gronk, Hernandez, and Amendola. We're going to go 19-0!

Can someone explain to me why Bill felt the need to extend these two, especially Hernandez, so damn soon?

Really? Really? Think about what you just wrote. Smh

Let's explain away all injuries to make ourselves feel good about the receiving corps. If we all say it repeatedly it will mean these guys aren't injury prone! Amendola is healthy he just had 2 freak injuries!

By the way Ras-I isn't injury prone he actually only missed his senior year of college and was so healthy before that guys! And then he got unlucky with a hip injury his rookie year that carried into this year. So really guys Ras-I also isn't injury prone, just like Gronk, Hernandez, and Amendola. We're going to go 19-0!

Repeat repeat repeat. Whine whine original thought? Nope. Nice contribution.

I really think the "injury prone" label ist hrown around here about players, especially those that suffer broken bones etc... playing in the NFL. When I think of injury prone I think of a player that has a debilitative injury that gets worse with time and has little prospect of improvement. Sebastian Vollmer is far closer to injury prone than Aaron Hernadez. He has back problems which have a higher than average chance of re-occurring in the future.

If I break my collar bone (Amendola) and miss time I am less injury prone than someone whom has had knee injuries during their career and are getting up in years (Welker.) Fans seem to hold a vendetta against any player that has a freak injury. I doubt that franchise administrations view players that have correctable injuries in the same way.

When we look at the future injury prospects of a player we have to consider just that the FUTURE likelihood of injury not the past performance. Broken bones are not a disease. A shoulder injury can linger example I can think of would be past patriot CB Duane Starks recovered from his shoulder injury (torn tendons.) We have no information here that would lend any credence to a theory that Aaron has any sort of injury like that.

Injuries are rarely positive, they happen, it is a violent sport played at the highest level with bigger stronger faster athletes creating more forceful collisions. Any player can go down on any play if their number is up. Only in special circumstances does it mean that a player will never recover or that it will be a career threatening injury.

Very insightful. You brought up some great points.

While I think you'd be right in reminding everyone that there is a balance between optimism and reality, I think their main point was just to compare the specific nature of these injuries to those of the more nagging and constant type.

One guy who has had the same 2 nagging injuries the past three years is Aqib Talib, who hasn't been able to finish a season in three consecutive yrs based on his hip and hamstring problems. Look at the number of games missed in his 5 yr career compared to the number of games played. IIRC, he misses an average of about 5-6 games per season, at least in the past 3 yrs if not the entire career. That is a prime example of someone who should wear the "injury prone" label in my opinion, not necessarily those who have had some blind luck problems like a broken bone or two in a violent sport. That's probably nothing more than bad luck.

I agree with trying to stay in a realistic mindset, but the differences are there at the same time. It's the chronic and nagging injuries that are constantly the same in nature that define "injury prone" to me, and I think the term gets thrown around a bit too much. Hopefully we'll have better depth at some positions to help to offset that this season, but I'm sure we'll still suffer on some level too. It's just the nature of the game.

I won't be freaking out until September. There's no point inventing things to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST