PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we go after Aaron Donald?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He's currently holding-out on the Rams. PFT reported that this is a ideological stand, which might mean he could simply refuse to play with us as well (Although I doubt it, for some reason).

Still, he is a cornerstone player and if we can lock him up for the future (We still have 16 M left this year and Cap is increasing annually), it would basically mean that Brady could play his final years with a monstrous D and/or maybe his sub could rely on them as he grows in the job.

I know we have good DTs, but Donald is in a class of his own. Our pass rush would be in a much better shape, while our Secondary stays awesome.

Obviously it all comes down to the price. And I would be willing to let a 1st round pick go, if it's a 2019 one. Next years seems to have good pool of players and we shouldn't neglect the draft 2 years in row. I doubt the Rams would let him go for anything less

Last edited:
Giving up a first isn't the main issue, money is.

Sure, "we" should. Will "we"? Nope. And for pretty good reason. IMO, "we" need to go after David Johnson and Julio Jones, too.

Sure, "we" should. Will "we"? Nope. And for pretty good reason. IMO, "we" need to go after David Johnson and Julio Jones, too.
Are they holding out on their teams as well :eek:

Of course they should inquire.

Now how do you afford to keep him here?

(We still have 16 M left this year and Cap is increasing annually),
We have just over 14 mil avail. Not sure where you saw 16. The answer to your other question is no.

I really don't want to mock the original posters, but offering a 2019 first round pick for arguably the best defensive player in the League? Sure the Rams might consider that if you add the 2018 first round pick and maybe a second rounder to boot.

The Rams and Donald will eventually get something done. Either that or they will trade him for a bonanza of picks.

If the Rams were to trade Donald to the Pats for just a 2019 first round pick, the Rams' GM should be killed by firing squad and Bill Belichick should immediately be given a wing in the Football Hall of Fame.

I really don't want to mock the original posters, but offering a 2019 first round pick for arguably the best defensive player in the League? Sure the Rams might consider that if you add the 2018 first round pick and maybe a second rounder to boot.

The Rams and Donald will eventually get something done. Either that or they will trade him for a bonanza of picks.

If the Rams were to trade Donald to the Pats for just a 2019 first round pick, the Rams' GM should be killed by firing squad and Bill Belichick should immediately be given a wing in the Football Hall of Fame.

while I too agree that the Rams will most likely re-sign him, picking up the phone and asking (or dreaming that they would do it) is free.

ASSUMING that doesn't happen, so he is not signing with the Rams, and we don't know how burnt out those two parties really are, a first and a 2nd for a DT isn't a bad deal at all, as good as he is.

Of course not, the problem is the money this guy is gonna demand. It's a bad use of the cap to put so much money on a player other than a QB, he goes blow his knee you lose his services for a season (depending on the time of the year that current season plus part of the next one) plus the down year when he comes back. All that while paying his top dollar and limiting the resources to spend all over the roster.

That's not BB's MO and he has a proven record. Look at the fools around the league paying top dollar for Von Miller, Malik Jackson, Chandler Jones and others.

As good as top DE or DT can be, they will win you 2 or 3 games tops in a season, I mean having a direct effect on the outcome, of course they will help you win other games but I still think the opportunity cost makes that a big NO, unless it's the last piece missing in fielding a stellar defense, then you may consider but it's not an usual situation.

You don't trade a 2019 1st round pick for Aaron Donald. He is a top 5 NFL player. It's gonna take two picks and a JJ Watt level contract to bring him here.

Looking ahead, we're already in a conundrum about how to use our 2018 cap space. Garoppolo, Butler and Solder are all UFAs. Bringing Donald to town essentially closes the door on all three.

We dont even have 10m on our cap that will be further reduced by about a million soon when the PS gets signed.

No space to even have a conversation about it.

Eh, after all BB has done the past two days. Why the heck not! Let's go for it!

I would love to but I don't think we can. We need that first round pick next year to get a QB in that round. Brady will play this year and assuming BB keeps him JG won't be here for long. We need a new backup QB and successor. I think they have a great chance to find it that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back