PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we consider drafting Joe Alt in the first round?

Still lighting the Mac candles I see
Not really. OP asked "Can we trust the scouts?" I'm just pointing out it's a lot harder to know the answer for sure because of how badly Belichick botched his development.

Let's say they had signed Hopkins this year and kept Karras in 2022 so they could draft Tyler Smith instead of Strange. If all of that happened and Mac still sucked, then it'd be clear that the evaluations were wrong. On the other hand, Mac might have done a hell of a lot better (and Belichick might still be HC of the NEP).

You're right, but the fact that LT is actually MUCH MORE important doesn't seem to occur to many people.

you might chuckle, but your tackles are the guys between the quarterback and the worst of the damage the DL can do to him -- the flying tackles that are coming in at full speed. They're also the ones that create space for a rush up the middle.

The simple truth is that the offensive line is the most significant unit in the offense. They play a critical role in everything from clock management to the run game to time of possession to giving the quarterback that critical extra quarter second to escape potentially injurious situations.

the offensive line is the difference between Mahomes getting blown the hell out of the water in SB55, running for his life and having to make superhero throws to have any chance and generating offense, and what he's accomplished since then with a revamped (and injury free) line in his two Superbowls since then. If you've got a bad line, it takes one hell of a quarterback to overcome that. Not even Mahomes was up to the task in the end.
Who was Mahomes left tackle this season? Where is he right now?

Don’t overthink this! Best QB available at three, take advantage of a deep WR class and draft in the 2nd, get best LT available in 3rd. Jacoby takes the lumps this year then further upgrade OL next offseason and rookie QB takes over.
I find it hilarious you are at least the second one who is happily volunteering poor Jacoby for meat shield duty lol

Not really. OP asked "Can we trust the scouts?" I'm just pointing out it's a lot harder to know the answer for sure because of how badly Belichick botched his development.

Let's say they had signed Hopkins this year and kept Karras in 2022 so they could draft Tyler Smith instead of Strange. If all of that happened and Mac still sucked, then it'd be clear that the evaluations were wrong. On the other hand, Mac might have done a hell of a lot better (and Belichick might still be HC of the NEP).
Mac was clearly not the answer from early on. His walk during the draft did not scream confidence and poise which is a must. His balls always floated and he was freezing with pressure in his face from day 1.

He sounded so meek during press conferences and sucked at handling adversity. It was always obvious he would fail.

I was the OP. Mac was bad from the beginning. Why? Because he couldn't throw an out. Also, he cowers under pressure.

Good snark is always funny from the home team fans. You must love the "term 3 & out" because I would be happy with your suggestion if it moves the chains. Put your first round qb in and watch it play out all over again... yikes....

Yep, just like every playoff team in the AFC. Watching their first round QB’s go three and out every drive, yet still winning the most games in the conference, filling the playoff spots, and winning the Super Bowl. Those first round quarterbacks sure do suck. The Patriots definitely shouldn’t draft one, losing all the time is so much better. And just think about how great it must be for their defense, they get to spend all their time playing, while the offense just watches from the sideline.

Don’t know why they wasted that pick on Stroud. They already had Tunsil, so any QB would have done just as well. They could have gotten a haul for that pick, instead they wasted it on a Q

Don’t know why they wasted that pick on Stroud. They already had Tunsil, so any QB would have done just as well. They could have gotten a haul for that pick, instead they wasted it on a Quarterback
I don't understand why I'm being quoted
They got the tackle 1st didn't they. Didn't say don't take a qb. Sarcasm isn't cool anymore ain't been cool since the 90s

They got the tackle 1st didn't they. Didn't say don't take a qb. Sarcasm isn't cool anymore ain't been cool since the 90s

They have had the tackle for several years, they didn’t win until they got a quarterback with the second pick in the draft. You can get really good tackles and wide receivers in every draft, getting a franchise quarterback is far more difficult, and you aren’t going to win anything without one.

Don’t take it personally, I respond to what is said, not who said it. I think passing on a franchise quarterback for any other position is insane, and I respond to that proposition. Tackles are important, but you will never win anything without the quarterback.

Sign Josh jones. Draft your QB ( if they believe in one). Draft tackle next year if need.

Yep, just like every playoff team in the AFC. Watching their first round QB’s go three and out every drive, yet still winning the most games in the conference, filling the playoff spots, and winning the Super Bowl. Those first round quarterbacks sure do suck. The Patriots definitely shouldn’t draft one, losing all the time is so much better. And just think about how great it must be for their defense, they get to spend all their time playing, while the offense just watches from the sideline.
Didn't the Mac Jones experience teach any lesson to us other than repeating it? It's a chicken or the egg argument. ? Which comes first. I watch Purdy and I like that template, it's just my opinion since I have been tainted. Pick a first round pick because it's there doesn't excite me. I would love Maye or Williams then 2nd round qb. All the same after that.

Didn't the Mac Jones experience teach any lesson to us other than repeating it? It's a chicken or the egg argument. ? Which comes first. I watch Purdy and I like that template, it's just my opinion since I have been tainted. Pick a first round pick because it's there doesn't excite me. I would love Maye or Williams then 2nd round qb. All the same after that.
What happened in other drafts under other GM’s has absolutely nothing to do with what this team does now. They have to rebuild the worst offense in football and the highest pick they have had in over 39 years, if they like the QB’s available they need to take one. You don’t win championships with tackles, you have to have a really good QB to compete with all of the teams that have yhem.

You would like Maye or Daniels. the 2nd round, and I would like the Chiefs to trade Mahomes to us for a 5th round pick. Both are equally likely. Maybe we should talk about Jacoby Brissett winning the MVP while we are talking about things that are completely absurd.

The Mac Jones experiment should have taught Patriot fans that if your quarterback sucks you are going to have a terrible offense. And if you want to compete you are going to need a really good QB to do so. The likelihood of finding one after the first round is almost nil.

Don’t take it personally, I respond to what is said, not who said it. I think passing on a franchise quarterback for any other position is insane, and I respond to that proposition. Tackles are important, but you will never win anything without the quarterback.
You should read what I wrote than cuz I didn't write that we should pass on a qb. I said alt has to be a consideration. Just like mhj. Your doing the team a disservice if you don't consider it. But my final sentence was if you believe in one of the qbs you gotta pull the trigger. Obviously a franchise qb is paramount but you can't pick one just cuz someone's there at 3. You gotta believe in that player. Missing on the qb that early kills your team. Joe Alt jr and MHJ will not bust out in the league. Outside of some crazy injury luck those dudes are gonna ball out. And Daniels and drake scare me McCarthy does too. Qb is such a crapshoot you just don't know for sure if they can handle it.

How often does an OL make a QB elite?
Not seen in the pros, but sometimes in college. For example Mac Jones’s senior year at Bama. Or JJ McCarthy this year at Michigan.

Dominant OLs. Just be game managers. Play action passes to receivers open by five yards.

What happened in other drafts under other GM’s has absolutely nothing to do with what this team does now. They have to rebuild the worst offense in football and the highest pick they have had in over 39 years, if they like the QB’s available they need to take one. You don’t win championships with tackles, you have to have a really good QB to compete with all of the teams that have yhem.
I think it's 31 years. You had me thinking I was older than I am.

You should read what I wrote than cuz I didn't write that we should pass on a qb. I said alt has to be a consideration. Just like mhj. Your doing the team a disservice if you don't consider it. But my final sentence was if you believe in one of the qbs you gotta pull the trigger. Obviously a franchise qb is paramount but you can't pick one just cuz someone's there at 3. You gotta believe in that player. Missing on the qb that early kills your team. Joe Alt jr and MHJ will not bust out in the league. Outside of some crazy injury luck those dudes are gonna ball out. And Daniels and drake scare me McCarthy does too. Qb is such a crapshoot you just don't know for sure if they can handle it.

If they don’t believe in the QB then the next option is trading out for the 3 first round picks, or a different short move trade with a team like the Giants, a different position is my last option.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back