PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we anticipate a running back controversy this offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these days, you're going to learn that you can disagree with people without chucking insults around. Or maybe not, if you've gotten to your age without moving past that third-grade mentality than I dunno why it would change now.

Like I said, we saw the best that Iosefa has to offer, and that pretty much summarizes it. Sure, he'll plow ahead and get you a few yards against a bad run defense (25th in DVOA against the run) when the interior of the line is having its best run blocking game of the season. There is real value in that, absolutely, but it's just not that hard to find, and that's why the Pats have traditionally sought out RBs who can do other stuff in addition to that. The RBs who don't offer more than that (Jonas Gray) tend not to stick around for too long.

So there's two possibilities here: either that's all Iosefa has in his repertoire, in which case he's a PS-type player who won't be here long term, or he has Develin-type versatility (which he certainly didn't show yesterday) that will keep him here long-term. Until/unless we see that he *does* have these other skills, I'm not going to assume that they're there.

If the Pats were half as high on Iosefa as you appear to be, they wouldn't have signed Stephen Jackson today.

Except there wasn't an insult. Just pointing out a fact. But then, it's funny to hear someone whine about insulting others when he throws out the insults himself. Pot. Kettle. Black.

You're claims that we saw the best that Iosefa had to offer are pure speculative BS on your part. You're claiming that Iosefa will never ever get better. That is something you can't know. At all. Why? Because you can't see the future.

All I have said is that Iosefa is promising. You'd know that if you actually read my posts. And signing Jackson has nothing to do with Iosefa since the Pats have Iosefa as a Fullback, not a running back. Last I looked, Jackson was just a running back.

BTW. If I wanted to insult you, I'd say that your posts have fallen to the level of Trollin Ben Volin.

Without reading most of the thread yet due to time constraints, my thoughts:

White - isn't a runner. He's proving he has a superb pass catching ability, making tough contested catches and if given space can make guys miss. He won't break many tackles, though, which is why he struggles as a runner without given a hole to hit. Pure get-him-in-space kind of guy. Good, we need one of those.

Lewis - Can do it all, and can do it all better than probably most guys in the NFL, when healthy. He showed that very consistently until he got hurt. Durability is his issue, try to limit him to ~15 all purpose touches and we're golden with him.

Iosefa - Didn't show me anything other than a very impressive bulldozing of a safety. I wasn't expect much, and that's what we go. Granted, the OL wasn't opening many holes for him and he doesn't appear good at making his own (remember, he's a rookie still). If we put together an OL that can get him to the second level where LB's and DB's that are the same size or smaller than he can be a consistent 1,000 yard rusher.

Blount - Looked like toast in pre season, looked a little better in the regular season. He also needs an OL to get him to the second level and he becomes a runaway train. Hasn't happened as often as it has in his past two seasons. Mostly blame the OL, but Blounts first step looks even slower than it has in the past.

I think our top pick almost needs to go to a high quality pounder, someone in the mold of Ridley, 5'11, 220-225, good first step and decent speed. We SHOULD be able to find that in round two, maybe requiring a small trade up. Who do our resident draft guys like?

Sounds like Devontae Booker might be your guy: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Personally, I think they can find someone who does what they need a little later in the draft (and may have to given the lack of a first rounder), but I wouldn't complain if he was the pick at 64 (knock on wood).

Without reading most of the thread yet due to time constraints, my thoughts:

White - isn't a runner. He's proving he has a superb pass catching ability, making tough contested catches and if given space can make guys miss. He won't break many tackles, though, which is why he struggles as a runner without given a hole to hit. Pure get-him-in-space kind of guy. Good, we need one of those.

Lewis - Can do it all, and can do it all better than probably most guys in the NFL, when healthy. He showed that very consistently until he got hurt. Durability is his issue, try to limit him to ~15 all purpose touches and we're golden with him.

Iosefa - Didn't show me anything other than a very impressive bulldozing of a safety. I wasn't expect much, and that's what we go. Granted, the OL wasn't opening many holes for him and he doesn't appear good at making his own (remember, he's a rookie still). If we put together an OL that can get him to the second level where LB's and DB's that are the same size or smaller than he can be a consistent 1,000 yard rusher.

Blount - Looked like toast in pre season, looked a little better in the regular season. He also needs an OL to get him to the second level and he becomes a runaway train. Hasn't happened as often as it has in his past two seasons. Mostly blame the OL, but Blounts first step looks even slower than it has in the past.

I think our top pick almost needs to go to a high quality pounder, someone in the mold of Ridley, 5'11, 220-225, good first step and decent speed. We SHOULD be able to find that in round two, maybe requiring a small trade up. Who do our resident draft guys like?

Great post. I agree with most of what you have said.

A couple of thoughts...

Lewis- The problem is that he was at 15 touches/game and blew out his ACL. Needless to say durability is a major concern.

White- Yea he needs to be in space. Glad he is on the team. Too bad he can run a little better. Maybe he needs to get a little stronger. Hes a slight tick below Vereen which is not too shabby

Blount- I don't think hes back next year.

Joey Sofa- maybe he becomes a FB/HB but Develin is more valuable to the roster

This is where not having a Rd 1 pick really, really sucks. I'd to see them make a move for Henry but I think he'll be gone.

Wasn't booked hurt this year?

Yeah, just meniscus though so shouldn't impact his NFL career (in the short/intermediate term anyway, I doubt the Pats care much about the long term) much if at all. May cause him to slide in the draft though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents