PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shea McClellin signs with Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can climb back down off the ledge about the McClellin conrtact.

Where did the 3/$12m report even come from then? That's a lot different than 3/$9m.

Where did the 3/$12m report even come from then? That's a lot different than 3/$9m.

Fan: "He's a bum. And it's a three year deal? They probably gave him like $12m too."

Reporter: "This guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about! I'm gonna tweet a 'rumor' that it's 3 yrs / 12m!"

Fan (seeing that tweet): "I knew it!"

you consider 29 solo tackles and 27 assisted tackles with 4.5 sacks to be a good year?? You clearly have low expectations..

they played him as a 4-3 DE in 2013...in 2014 , he was a 4-3 OLB...in 2015, he was a 3-4 ILB....I think the numbers reflect that and how good he can be for the pats can't be inferred by what he went through in chicago

this.....BTW, I think Long's deal is 1 year, $2,375M

This may sound silly but I think McClellin will have more of an impact on the defense than Long.

Just not sure how much Long has left in the tank. You never know I guess.

This may sound silly but I think McClellin will have more of an impact on the defense than Long.

Just not sure how much Long has left in the tank. You never know I guess.

part of that is opportunity.......mclellin's time inside makes him the relative incumbent to be the starting ILB unless Bostic returns to form

Counting the signing bonus as separate from the 3.5 in year 1, I would expect.

part of that is opportunity.......mclellin's time inside makes him the relative incumbent to be the starting ILB unless Bostic returns to form
When has Bostic ever been in "form"?

When has Bostic ever been in "form"?

his first 2 years with the bears........he came here injured

the guy can play....he's got decent size and he's jamie collins fast

I do find it interesting that the team now has two LBs who have recently started for Chicago in Bostic and McClellin. Can't be a coincidence.

I do find it interesting that the team now has two LBs who have recently started for Chicago in Bostic and McClellin. Can't be a coincidence.

Their fmr GM who was axed in 2014 is a Poili/Dimitroff disciple. Worked in KC and ATL respectfully.

His D coordinator was saying he was getting it. It was working at MLB. They wanted to keep him.
DW Toys

Yeah, that's what I saw last season from him. One could see the potential for McClellin in Fangio's defense, unfortunately the Bears chose to replace him with players who they feel are more advanced in the nuances of playing the position.

I'm a bit taken aback by the contract. I expected something lower than that simply because there didn't seem to be much of a market for him. But obviously there was or BB valued him enough to want him here longer-term than just a one-year re-build your value deal a la Chris Long and Andre Carter and many before them.
3 for 8.95 sound better? That's actually about the average per player on the roster. (Cap divided by 53) which is about where I would think he should fit.

both high draft picks......both exposed to changing defensive schemes and a sucky DL

I don't mind the deal at all. I wish it could have been better but hey not bad.

He has been reasonably healthy in his career and has improved every year. His athleticism is clear. I think this is a deal we will look at in mid 2017 and think "that was a good deal".

3 years 8.5 is a lot more in line with what a guy like this should have gotten this year, so I'm happier with it than I was 12 over 3.

3 years 8.5 is a lot more in line with what a guy like this should have gotten this year, so I'm happier with it than I was 12 over 3.
It's kind of funny how different free agency is at this point. Day 1, you'd get details within an hour of the player signing. Now, it took days between McClellin's signing being reported and some terms surfacing, and then took another couple days to show those terms weren't even accurate.

his first 2 years with the bears........he came here injured

the guy can play....he's got decent size and he's jamie collins fast
I think these are both decent pickups for NE in that they fit their scheme more than Chicago, and neither being asked to be big-time playmakers, just learn your job kinda thing because if High and Collins are healthy these guys are largely only seeing garbage time anyhow.

But let's not kid ourselves, though they may have been miscast in Chicago, neither of them were good there either. The 2013 and 2014 Bears were horrifically bad defensive teams for a lot of reasons but the failure of these two players to really distinguish themselves wasn't from lack of opportunity (a la Vrabel, Nink, other guys who have been brought up as comparisons). They both played a lot. And if they had been better, there'd have been a bigger asking price for both, whether via trade or FA. Hopefully NE is going to benefit big from the mismatched, jumble**** of a situation that Chicago's GM/coach thing has been the past 4 years and these guys are steals that come with playing experience to boot, but right now that's way more anecdotal based on size/speed than it is based on anything they've really demonstrated consistently on the field.

Yeah, that is more in line with what I expected. I had seen 3 years, $12M in earlier reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST