PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's not as amazing as people thought he was.

I was saying it over and over again last week. People kept thinking this guy was the next LT.

He's just Danny Woodhead with less speed and more strength.

this is a pretty stupid comment

They didn't adequately utilize EITHER one.
And it's not like they were scoring big and wanted it to keep their offensive flow going. :rolleyes:
When the stakes get big and the pressure increases the OC and the QB fall back into their bad "Greatest Show On Turf one dimensional predictable O" habits.
This has GOT to change if this team is to win another championship.

Greatest show on turf? Doesn't that incinuate they threw downfield a lot? I felt like they did a bunch of short passes and runs up the middle like they always do in the playoffs. Of course when you have Deion Branch and Brandon Lloyd out there it's not like you can send them deep.

Pretty sure he scored in the SB last year.

That said, I'd rather have seen more Vereen early in the game but I think BB wanted to go with a ground and pound gameplan.

Oh, ....Woodhead in his 5/6 playoff games has scored one touchdown.

He's done it a handful of times, two of which against Bart Scott and another against a Texans LB.

Woodhead has had far, far more explosive plays than you give him credit for.

woodhead can't hold vereen's jock.......woodhead is a gimmick who is not capable of running the ball on running plays originating with the QB under center

as for speed, I'd like you to explain to me why vereen can get outside and woodhead can't.

demps is likely going to mean the end of woodhead anyway

woodhead can't hold vereen's jock.......woodhead is a gimmick who is not capable of running the ball on running plays originating with the QB under center

as for speed, I'd like you to explain to me why vereen can get outside and woodhead can't.

demps is likely going to mean the end of woodhead anyway

Woodhead value is overrated by the patriots staff. The speed* woodhead has is called paper speed.

Woodhead (unlike vereen) is incapable of taking the top of the defense and makes it too obvious on what the patriots are doing.

Vereen to me is fault/riddley/ woodhead all into one player.

Shane Vereen has had one - ONE - breakout game and all of the sudden he's the next coming of Barry Sanders.

Meanwhile the clutch, proven himself multiple times Danny Woodhead who has proven better speed and all around superior measurements is 'slow' with 'no burst'.

When times are tough, there's always one guy lined up next to Brady in the shotgun. There's a good reason.

Shane Vereen has had one - ONE - breakout game and all of the sudden he's the next coming of Barry Sanders.

Meanwhile the clutch, proven himself multiple times Danny Woodhead who has proven better speed and all around superior measurements is 'slow' with 'no burst'.

When times are tough, there's always one guy lined up next to Brady in the shotgun. There's a good reason.

Are we watching the same players here? Vereen's one game is better than every playoff game woodhead has played in.

Vereen is better more physical weapon than woodhead, but the patriots trust him more.

How many times has woodhead came through in those rough times?

Only speaking for myself, I haven't proclaimed Vereen the next Sanders, the next Tomlinson or the next anybody. I just think he's a speed back who should have been used more this year and last night.

I've also never claimed that Woodhead is slow or has no burst. I did question your claims re. their relative speed and strength, as I think you've got them reversed. Vereen looks faster to me, but I've never seen him gut out yards after being hit as I've seen Woodhead do.

(re Woodhead, I love the guy. He can do a lot of things and I disagree with the notion that he's a "gimmick" back.)

Well, there was that one run where he looked like Laurence Maroney.

Only speaking for myself, I haven't proclaimed Vereen the next Sanders, the next Tomlinson or the next anybody. I just think he's a speed back who should have been used more this year and last night.

I've also never claimed that Woodhead is slow or has no burst. I did question your claims re. their relative speed and strength, as I think you've got them reversed. Vereen looks faster to me, but I've never seen him gut out yards after being hit as I've seen Woodhead do.

(re Woodhead, I love the guy. He can do a lot of things and I disagree with the notion that he's a "gimmick" back.)

Woodhead runs a 4.38.

Exactly. What a silly overreaction about Sanders.

For this team at this time, Shane Vereen should have been involved as another weapon last night. That's all.

Combine speed sometimes doesn't matter when it comes to players.

Devin hester ran a 4.41 and we all know woodhead isn't faster than him.

Which leads to point that vereen is faster than woodhead.

As a poster said earlier, they didnt use Vereen or Woodhead well yesterday.
Personally, I was quite bothered by the playcalling yesterday. They could have had atleast 10 more run plays yesterday. The run play was working yesterday.
Repeated passing on 3rd and 2 yards on a tough defense does not produce consistent good outcomes.

I wonder why Brady has an aversion to dumping off to the running back.

Woodhead runs a 4.38.

As much as I like him, he doesn't seem to play with 4.38 speed. (and that's not a knock on him)

If you think Woodhead would be a better option than Vereen outrunning defenders on the outside, for example, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. I think you're wrong.

I also think Woodhead is a stronger back than Vereen -- if I were somehow to need one to grind out an extra yard or two with a defender on him, I'd absolutely take Woodhead.

I wondered that myself. Maybe he didn't have a good practice this week or something. Hard to say really. I expected to see a lot more of him though. I thought that Ridley's fumble really screwed things up, but he was knocked out or whatever. I wanted to see a lot more of Vereen though.

One play, Vereen took the handoff, aimed toward the RG/RT gap where there was some daylight. But he chose to bypass the gap and take it laterally to the right for a loss. As the team headed to the huddle, one Pats OL (?) was shaking his head in disgust with Vereen's poor decision to freelance.
I'm guessing the team has seen this move too often in practice and Brady's comment last week that Vereen's starting to grow up (that's a paraphrase) could be a telling comment on where the team is with him.

One play, Vereen took the handoff, aimed toward the RG/RT gap where there was some daylight. But he chose to bypass the gap and take it laterally to the right for a loss. As the team headed to the huddle, one Pats OL (?) was shaking his head in disgust with Vereen's poor decision to freelance.
I'm guessing the team has seen this move too often in practice and Brady's comment last week that Vereen's starting to grow up (that's a paraphrase) could be a telling comment on where the team is with him.

Is this a joke? All running backs do that.:rolleyes: Riddley also missed holes that were open.

Is this a joke? All running backs do that.:rolleyes: Riddley also missed holes that were open.
Ridley doesn't have O linemen shake their heads at him like Vereen did on the play mentioned. The replay on the Vereen loss showed an adequate hole that could have led to a first down. The O lineman was pissed
Just pointing out an observation and trying to connect the dots regarding the OP topic and why Vereen gets few touches

Ridley doesn't have O linemen shake their heads at him like Vereen did on the play mentioned. The replay on the Vereen loss showed an adequate hole that could have led to a first down. The O lineman was pissed
Just pointing out an observation and trying to connect the dots regarding the OP topic and why Vereen gets few touches

Are these the same offensive lineman that let brady's passes get tipped? Maybe they should have spent more time on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News