PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vareen and Ras I Dowling over WR Torrey Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please list all the posters who wanted us to draft Torry Smith at 33 as you suggest.

You ever hear of the "Rookie Wall" Maybe since we don't really need Vereen right now, BB is stashing him on the Bench, keeping his legs fresh and making sure he's 100% ready to pickup the blitzes so Brady doesn't get killed. Just Maybe.

Re: Shane Vareen and Ras I Downling over WR Torrey Smith?

Is he actually running routes now, or still just flying down the field and having Flacco bomb it to him?

What difference does it make as long as he is making plays?

All he does he is run Go Routes. Sloppy route running and stone hands.

It's fascinating to hear how people have so quickly written off Dowling. It's almost like they never saw just how damn well he was playing before getting hurt.

Greetings,
I have been watching Torrey Smith play a lot lately, and he has been impressive. Yes, he has some issues with dropping the ball and he could be a better route runner, but to me has been a steal for the Ravens. I did not pay attention to him before this season, but there were concerns and they were legitimate. Many people projected him to go in the second or third. So that is even more reason to understand why New England or no one else went crazy to get him high.

With that being said, I do not think it is something to harp on with New England not getting him.
Celticboy04

Because if he can't run routes, then he's basically just Bethel Johnson in this offense.

It's fascinating to hear how people have so quickly written off Dowling. It's almost like they never saw just how damn well he was playing before getting hurt.

To be fair to the critics, you could say the same of Terrence Wheatley. :bricks:

To be fair to the critics, you could say the same of Terrence Wheatley. :bricks:

Damnit. Good point :) I always thought that Wheatley flashed potential. Good burst, great agility, could run with people but wasn't shutting them down. Dowling was straight up shutting dudes down. He looked dominant.

Damnit. Good point :) I always thought that Wheatley flashed potential. Good burst, great agility, could run with people but wasn't shutting them down. Dowling was straight up shutting dudes down. He looked dominant.

He did look awesome but he got injured again, and when taken into account with his injury history, which is longer than Ike Turners history of domestic violence, I really dont think think we'll get much from him.

He wouldn't get to run fades and posts all day in New England. The Pats ask their WRs to run in more directions than straight forward.

Last edited:
Please list all the posters who wanted us to draft Torry Smith at 33 as you suggest.

I had Torrey Smith in many of my mock drafts. I valued him in mid - late second.

That said, I have also touted Dowling for two+ years, and I would have been fine taking him at 17 if he had been fully healthy (hint: he probably wouldn't have been available there if he had stayed healthy his senior year).

I would have drafted different running backs at different slots in the draft. Does that make me smarter than BB? Not necessarily; I don't know anything about their actual personality or ability to play within our scheme the way BB asks. I don't mind when he misses, even though I often have a "better" alternative listed in my mock drafts. It would be nice to always hit on our picks, but as long as we win consistently, I have no complaints.

That said, I would prefer we bring rookies along more quickly. We seem content to allow lineman to jump into the fray (and DBs, but that's more injury related!), but very few skill position players seem to make an early impact. If Smith is good at posts and flags and nines and other deep routes, then have him run a few of those when he's in the game. Clearly he's been productive to some extent, and I think he could have had similar success here, with better coaching and a far, far better QB throwing the ball.

Not sure we needed Smith, though. If Price returns from his hammy injury, I'd like to see him get more snaps, and I think he can perform well.

The 2011 draft class has been very underwhelming so far. Not a good sign.

Except that he's invisible more often than not.

:bricks: d%#*!@t. I knew he was going to be nasty. I would have loved to have him in our offense as our young deep threat. Maybe someday the patriots front office can fulfill my dream of drafting a young stud franchise Wide Receiver.

I love our team, I love the way the season is going, I think we are going to go very far. This was a draft blunder though!

/Disagree. In this draft BB drafted a running game, which we sorely could have used in the playoff loss to the Jets, with Solder, Vereen, Ridley, Cannon, and the best blocking TE in the draft, Lee Smith. He drafted insurance with Dowling. Meanwhile, the best recent "franchise" WR, Randy Moss, has no rings. BB tried to solve some glaring problems in this draft, with mixed success, but with respect I don't think WR was one.

Identical player as Bernard Berrian. I couldn't believe anybody thought that guy was worth a damn (or that Minny gave him a big contract) when literally the only success he ever had was running deep routes. And now look where it's gotten him.

I wish the Pats would of traded up and got Tyrone Poole instead of staying pat and getting that bum Ty Law. Stop with the what if scenarios.

Smith is very good but yes I would take Vereen and Dowling over him. Both 2 of my favorite picks. Ras-I AMAZING character and some HEIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft