PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shake-up at WEEI - D&H out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Shake-up at WEEI D & H out

Dale and Holley was the only show on WEEI I still listened to, guess its gonna be 98.5 all the time now. I really think WEEI just dug their own grave with this move, Felger and Mazz is the best show on any station and Ordway is a sinking ship

Dale and Holley was the only show on WEEI I still listened to, guess its gonna be 98.5 all the time now. I really think WEEI just dug their own grave with this move, Felger and Mazz is the best show on any station and Ordway is a sinking ship

Felger and Mazz are hater radio. They hate everything. They never have anything good to say, no insightful analysis. I turned then off a long time ago.

Meloni can take any conversation about any sport and turn it into baseball.

Caller: Who will the Patriots get as a pass rusher.
Meloni: Good question. I remember when the Red Sox were looking for a base stealer. They didn't know if they should just buy one or draft one.
Caller: But a pass rusher is not the same as a base stealer.
Meloni: Nice thought! He may be more be more of a lead off hitter. Speaking of which who is the better lead off hitter for the Red Sox this year.
Caller: I'm trying ot talk football here.
Meloni: It's all relative. I enjoy a good football game, between innings.

Felger and Mazz are hater radio. They hate everything. They never have anything good to say, no insightful analysis. I turned then off a long time ago.

The problem is that prior to Holley moving to the afternoon, The Big Show countered that with blind homerism radio. Hopefully, Holley will bring some objective balance to the homerism.

Personally, I find homer radio more boring than contrarian radio at least when it is done with a bit of intelligence (Felger tends to do that). My problem with Felger is that he is far too repetitive. When he makes an argument, he will hammer that point into the ground day after day (for example his argument that there really isn't a cap in football).

Well it's back to music for me.

D&C should banned from sports radio and transported to Freeper Island; Merloni is a snooze; Ordway is a windbag; and everyone else has some personal agenda that is totally transparent and of interest only to them and handful of others. D&H was the only thing I listened to on EEI. I don't get 98.5 out here in W. MA so I can't assess them, though I've heard Misserroti and Felger enough on TV--ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

I feel bad for Mr. Arnold... The ironic thing about this shakeup is that unlike several other shows on WEEI the "Dale and Holley" is handily beating their main competition "Gresh and Zo" in the ratings.

I guess this explains Arnold's meltdown a few weeks back, where he trashed everyone in Boston media in one rant. Not that they didn't deserve it, because they all did, but it gives some insight into why he went off on air.

Originally Posted by 3rd and Long

I had a lot of hope for this show when it first came out and it turned out to be troll radio, two trolls with their own show that pick a theme for the week and hammer it for the whole week. Ordway and Holley will probably take back the #1 spot.
If your going to have a one trick pony show (Merloni & Mut), (Gresh & Zo) the baseball season is longer and the Sox look to have a good year so i can understand this move. Ever hear Gresh and Zo talk baseball? Id rather poke my eye with an ice pick, but I go to them during football season.

D+H was the only show I tuned into on a regular basis. Last fall the Big Show had to try and resurrect Ron Bogus; I couldn't take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

..No more Fred .... :D No more Deossie ... :D:D

No more Max ... :mad::mad::mad:

Ordway show when it included Shepherd, Deossie and Smerlas = Listeners losing brain cells

the more I think about and as details emerge, will probably spend more time with the IPOD than anything else.. this is a piss poor move for EEI and this will never work, take their strongest program and blow it up.

Cannot stand Munansky and Merloni is ok.. what a freaking disapointment.. maybe Jason wolfe is Gresch's secret lover????

I think it's less about kicking butt than shoring up the Big Show. I think Felger and Mazz were eating into the ratings, although I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can listen to those two.

It's simple - as annoying as Felger's opinions can be, he is - and it took me a while to admit this - very good at his craft.

Glenn Ordway is not.

It's that simple. Felger & Mazz is a well-run and well-produced show. They stay on topic, they always find interesting topics, they go in-depth, they stay away from tired topics, they take good callers, they have good call-in guests, they pace the show well, etc.

The Big O show has been a giant mess for years. It's grossly self-indulgent. They rarely can stay on topic, they purposely take barely coherent callers just to prop themselves up, they avoid any callers with insight that can expose the guests' (Big O included) very pedestrian knowledge of sports, they only talk about generics and generals, they beat down tired topics, they try to be too funny in spite of having a terrible and archaic sense of humor.

I used to listen to the Big O show religiously every day, and until presented with an alternative, I didn't realize I was listening to talk radio at it's lowest and a complete destruction of the craft of media & communications.

That is my objective opinion of the two shows. Honestly, I'd take it a step further because Felger has grown on me as a radio talent even since then and switching to 850 in the afternoon has become nails on chalkboard. But just objectively viewing the two shows and how they are produced, this is what I come up with.

And I think 850 is even acknowledging this now. By bringing Holley, their most articulate, knowledgeable & likeable host, they are attempting to win back some of the fanbase they have lost to 98.5.

I am excited that 850 will now present a decent alternative to 98.5 - and I kind of amused that 98.5 has forced 850's hand so much. Either way, Holley in the afternoon is a win for listeners.

Last edited:

Bad move for Holley imo. I think they expect him to be the contrarian, and while he can do so it will turn him into another of the local turds, like Felger and Borges, and will make him detestable to many. Holley is a likeable guy and making him the bad guy won't play well overall.

It's simple - as annoying as Felger's opinions can be, he is - and it took me a while to admit this - very good at his craft.

Glenn Ordway is not.

It's that simple. Felger & Mazz is a well-run and well-produced show. They stay on topic, they always find interesting topics, they go in-depth, they stay away from tired topics, they take good callers, they have good call-in guests, they pace the show well, etc.

The Big O show has been a giant mess for years. It's grossly self-indulgent. They rarely can stay on topic, they purposely take barely coherent callers just to prop themselves up, they avoid any callers with insight that can expose the guests' (Big O included) very pedestrian knowledge of sports, they only talk about generics and generals, they beat down tired topics, they try to be too funny in spite of having a terrible and archaic sense of humor.

I get you dont like Ordway but they were the nuimber one show in the COUNTRY for years running. He must have a clue to what hes doing. This competition is good for us listeners, maybe both will push the other to stay on top put out a good product and not get stale.
Ive tried to call 98.5 several times, they let me on once but most times the screener wouldnt let me on for exactly what your accusing weei of doing so I think it goes both ways.

The Dale and Holley show was the only one I actually liked. :(

i thought Dale and Holley was the best show. although the big show was entertaining when Max or Curran were on it, that morning show with DNC is terrible.

i dont think the big show is big enough for both Ordway and Holley though, Ordway rarely makes his own points and mostly just spews empty words to eat up time between laughing at stupid crap, Holley is great but he has his own style and needs room to work it, dale gave him plenty of room and i felt they worked well together even though dale himself was fairly weak, Holley carried the show.

i cant see Ordway letting Holley be the focus of the show however, this seems like a desperation move to beat out 98.5, and it will kill the whole rest of the day.

Honestly i cant possibly see Merloni and Mutnanski could be entertaining. Merloni is a follower, you see it every big show and while mutnanski can lead a conversation, i dont think he has the personality to make for entertaining radio.

i think the big show lost alot of flavor by letting sheppard go, i mean the guy was clueless when it came to actual sports knowledge but he was such a homer that he was entertaining.

imo, give Curran, Max and Sheppard a show, i dont think anyone is going to beat that combo entertainment wise

maybe a show with dale, max and merloni ?

I get you dont like Ordway but they were the nuimber one show in the COUNTRY for years running. He must have a clue to what hes doing.

Popularity != quality. Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber; Avatar, Terminator; Dancing with Has-Beens and Two & a Half Men is what our country has deemed most popular in music, film and TV, respectively, so I'll take the Big O's popularity with a grain of salt.

The reality is that once faced with competition, the Big O show has constantly had to adjust. First it was doing away with its ridiculous commercials and now with the most drastic move at WEEI in ages, a complete re-shuffling of their talent.

The Big O's shtick is tired and it took 98.5 to really make that apparent to the point where WEEI had to do something about it.

Last edited:

I get you dont like Ordway but they were the nuimber one show in the COUNTRY for years running. He must have a clue to what hes doing. This competition is good for us listeners, maybe both will push the other to stay on top put out a good product and not get stale.
Ive tried to call 98.5 several times, they let me on once but most times the screener wouldnt let me on for exactly what your accusing weei of doing so I think it goes both ways.

Ordway having the #1 radio show in the country is a bit overstated. It was in part because of Boston being the largest market with a strong sports following that doesn't have split allegences to teams and at least two sports radio stations with significant ratings. In NY, they have multiple radio stations with one being more Jets, Mets focused and the other more Giants, Yankees focused. Similiar thing in Chicago. Los Angeles and Miami demos don't have strong allegences to the local teams (and Los Angeles doesn't have a football team) because of the transient nature of the population. I bet if Mike and the Mad Dog were the only game in town in NY all those years, they would be #1.

It is ironic that people are talking about Ordway's act being tired the first time a legitimate competitor pops up that can be heard farther out than 10-20 miles from the signal and after dark.

Personally, I think Ordway got fat and lazy (not physically, but his radio persona) with no competition. I think when he started the Big Show he was innovative for this segment of radio, but his act got tired long ago but there was no one who could compete with him since the signal strength of previous competitors were a joke (half of the 890 audience lost the signal when the sun went down).

I do agree that competition benefits the listeners as I always have maintained. I think though neither station has strong talent for their roster. There are a few bright stars, but overall there are a bunch of guys with a lot of glaring weaknesses. I wish one or both stations had more to work with. This is a major market and you can go to some smaller markets with more talent than this one.

Last edited:

Munansky & Merloni......... Yuck !
The only thing worse would be Butch Stearns and Lou Merloni.

I was never a Dale Arnold fan, but I still llistened because I liked Holly.
I will be moving down the dial to 98.5 Zo and Gresh for the midday show.

Best of luck in your retirement at papoose pond Mr Arnold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News