PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Major snowstorm for New England, Pats should leave earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard of 78...Providence, East Side ...RT 195 in the background. My apartment on the ground floor of the brown building in the upper right hand corner.At the height of the storm I took in FOUR secretaries stranded in their cars out on the street there. Stayed at my place for three days until the national guard came in with giant earth movers and cleared the streets. Right around the corner down the street in this picture was the Engine Company Bar & Grille where I worked at the time. Yes, I can say it was quite a party for that three days.....:D :D :D

1225_blizzard-of-1978-630x421.jpg

You obviously have a sort of weather fetish. You're setting us up for a big one, you know. Just make sure you deliver as promised. ;)
Before switching majors, I was a meteorology major. There are no jobs in new england for meteorologist. I would have to move out west and I am not moving my wife and kids from our families so I switched to criminal justice. I am still an amateur weather geek that tracks winter storms.

4 days out, the GFS and EURO are in agreement with a major snowstorm for the Northeast! This is the 18z snow map! This will change since we are four days out, but WOW, I have never seen a GFS snow map like this 4 days out. The Patriots should leave earlier for Denver to avoid this monster storm coming! Ohh and it looks like this AFC Championship game, there could be snow. View attachment 11944

"Ohh and it looks like this AFC Championship game, there could be snow.."

What are you talking about? Weather.com says high of 45/low of 22 with 0% chance of precipitation.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USCO0105:1:US

You're not going to get "acute altitude sickness symptoms" at 5300'. People go from sea level and hike 10+ hour days in NH at 5300' with no problems.

I'm pretty out of shape and earlier this summer I was in the suburbs of Albequerque at 6800' for a few days, then hiked around on Sandia Crest (over 10,000') without a problem, then went to the Grand Canyon north rim (7200') and did some multi-hour, steep hikes, and the same at Bryce Canyon (8200'-9000') and didn't feel any different than if I did similar-difficulty hikes here.

Now, football is absolutely much more intense. But those guys are also younger and way more in shape than I am. Is there an effect? Absolutely! But you don't need anything close to 6 weeks to get significant benefits from being there ahead of time, either.

What I read online was that the initial adjustment takes 4-7 days. It wouldn't hurt to get there one day early. They should be a day ahead in preparation anyway because they played on Saturday. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but then again I have zero rings.

OK, now I'm seeing forecasts significantly downgrading the storm to around 3 inches.

Blizzard of 78...Providence, East Side ...RT 195 in the background. My apartment on the ground floor of the brown building in the upper right hand corner.At the height of the storm I took in FOUR secretaries stranded in their cars out on the street there. Stayed at my place for three days until the national guard came in with giant earth movers and cleared the streets. Right around the corner down the street in this picture was the Engine Company Bar & Grille where I worked at the time. Yes, I can say it was quite a party for that three days.....:D :D :D

You "took in" four secretaries. Were they female secretaries? Did they take ****-tation from you? (Yes, yes, I know it's juvenile but couldn't resist.) Sorry, but this smells like a snow story version of a fish story.

**** knowing what the weather will likely be like next weekend now I really wish this was a home game :(
Yup they big time ****ed. They better win this game.

I think I read about that one in Penthouse.

:eek:

You're not going to get "acute altitude sickness symptoms" at 5300'. People go from sea level and hike 10+ hour days in NH at 5300' with no problems.

I'm pretty out of shape and earlier this summer I was in the suburbs of Albequerque at 6800' for a few days, then hiked around on Sandia Crest (over 10,000') without a problem, then went to the Grand Canyon north rim (7200') and did some multi-hour, steep hikes, and the same at Bryce Canyon (8200'-9000') and didn't feel any different than if I did similar-difficulty hikes here.

Now, football is absolutely much more intense. But those guys are also younger and way more in shape than I am. Is there an effect? Absolutely! But you don't need anything close to 6 weeks to get significant benefits from being there ahead of time, either.

Individuals vary & occasions vary. Never had problems in Denver. Above Breckenridge I tried climbing hills on x/c skies above 8,000 ft and it was tough. Then came down to the town's 6,500 ft altitude and got in a full court pickup b-ball game with guys 20 years younger, again brutal, but they were sucking wind too. Some people (wife) get sick fairly quickly at altitude Denver 5,000 but sometimes not Breckenridge 6,500. It can be an unpredictable factor. What a MAJOR advantage for the Donks. #Integrity!

I used to ski out west twice a year in high elevations and altitude sickness made these vacations miserable ...at least for the first 3-4 days before my body began to adapt. I could never sleep, I could feel my heart accelerated, and the headaches were brutal.....but the skiing was worth the misery. I finally asked a doctor if there was any medication available to combat the symptoms....and the solution was so simple. He advised me to start taking Motrin 24 hours before leaving on vacation and continue prescribed doses for the entire trip. Problem solved. (Also...don't booze).
So .....I will call Gillette and advise them to leave early because of snow and I will let them know about the Motrin trick. I will also suggest BB visit PatsFans.com for game planning suggestions and draft help because we have all the answers.

The models have trended south which could possibly save us from the massive snowstorm, but I have seen models trend south then come north again. Here is what my area is looking like for this storm which is still over a foot. 1.597 inches of liquid- 16 inches of snow according to the 10:1 ratios, but the ratios could be 12:1 or more depending on the temperature.

prec.png

It takes about 3-6 weeks to get acclimated to the Denver altitude, so leaving a day early won't help them in that regard. In fact, leaving a day early would probably do more harm than good, as dehydration and acute altitude sickness symptoms take about 24-48 hours to develop after arrival at altitude. At least that's what I've read in running magazines.
I'm impressed you were fast enough to catch up to them and read em

Nothing Like a Patriot win to soothe a messy snow storm let it snow let it snow.:cool:

The models have trended south which could possibly save us from the massive snowstorm, but I have seen models trend south then come north again. Here is what my area is looking like for this storm which is still over a foot. 1.597 inches of liquid- 16 inches of snow according to the 10:1 ratios, but the ratios could be 12:1 or more depending on the temperature.

prec.png
In other words, it either could be a big storm or a minor snowfall. Right?

In other words, it either could be a big storm or a minor snowfall. Right?
Pretty much. The models are trending south which means less snow for SNE. Although, we are 4 days out so the models could trend north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back