PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Major snowstorm for New England, Pats should leave earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, football is absolutely much more intense. But those guys are also younger and way more in shape than I am. Is there an effect? Absolutely! But you don't need anything close to 6 weeks to get significant benefits from being there ahead of time, either.
In football the relevant metric is the differential physical ability at high altitude between players accustomed and unaccustomed to the altitude. Even if a player seems and feels fine, that would not rule out the altitude imperceptibly affecting his strength or stamina which would increase an apparent ability differential between him and his opponent. Thus, anecdotes from personal experience about people biking or walking or whatever at high altitudes are not relevant.

Furthermore, even if the effect normally didn't happen but only did sometimes to some players, that would still affect the play.

That's why in an other thread I requested statistical evidence for the effect on away teams of playing in Denver, but I did not get any specific information. (I would compare away team 4th quarter performance at Denver with their usual away performance, and correlate that with Denver away/home 4th quarter performance, compared to 1st quarter performance, as a start).

The team is planning on flying out Friday after morning practice

Blizzard of 78...Providence, East Side ...RT 195 in the background. My apartment on the ground floor of the brown building in the upper right hand corner.At the height of the storm I took in FOUR secretaries stranded in their cars out on the street there. Stayed at my place for three days until the national guard came in with giant earth movers and cleared the streets. Right around the corner down the street in this picture was the Engine Company Bar & Grille where I worked at the time. Yes, I can say it was quite a party for that three days.....:D :D :D

1225_blizzard-of-1978-630x421.jpg
I was living in Vermont at the time. Woke up in the morning to go to work, saw snow piled up halfway up the kitchen window, and went back to bed.

Now they're saying it's headed south and we're going to miss the brunt of it.
depends who we are..I'm on the south coast, hoping we don't get nailed.

depends who we are..I'm on the south coast, hoping we don't get nailed.
Being from Worcester, I'm glad to relinquish our City With Most Snow trophy from last year.

I was living in Vermont at the time. Woke up in the morning to go to work, saw snow piled up halfway up the kitchen window, and went back to bed.
I was living outside NYC at the time. Gave one of our secretaries a ride home in return for a dinner invitation. Got snowed in with her and her husband. Was not thinking about looking out the windows...

I was living outside NYC at the time. Gave one of our secretaries a ride home in return for a dinner invitation. Got snowed in with her and her husband. Was not thinking about looking out the windows...
You and Joker both, eh? I wonder how many people were snowed in with secretaries that week.

Being from Worcester, I'm glad to relinquish our City With Most Snow trophy from last year.
No kidding . I live just outside of Worcester and I'm dreading this. Memories are still fresh from last winter.

The news models are now trending north which means major snowstorm for SNE is back in play!

The news models are now trending north which means major snowstorm for SNE is back in play!
I get the feeling you're rooting for this and actually want us to get pounded.

I bought a snowblower.....it wasn't supposed to snow for the next 3 years

I get the feeling you're rooting for this and actually want us to get pounded.
Yes and No.

Yes because I get to track it and let my kids play in the snow after the storm.

No because my wife works overnight on friday, saturday, and sunday at the hospital. The high winds which could knock out power which keeps me from watching the Patriots play on sunday.
So there is some pros and cons to this!

Ha! That exact same thing happened for thousands of Comcast customers in Pittsburgh during the Steelers/Cards 2008 SB. They lost cable for multiple hours. Horrible timing.

Reason I went out and bought a HD antenna a few years ago. In case of cable outages.

does cable usually go out if power is out?.....I have a generator I can fire up, but won't do any good if cable is out. I'm in RI with cox.

Yes and No.

Yes because I get to track it and let my kids play in the snow after the storm.

No because my wife works overnight on friday, saturday, and sunday at the hospital. The high winds which could knock out power which keeps me from watching the Patriots play on sunday.
So there is some pros and cons to this!
I think avoiding a big storm is in most folks' best interest. A four- or five-inch snowfall should be enough to keep your kids occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back