PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: How best to use Revis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also if we gonna rip Revis for having one bad half against Steve Smith, you remember how Talib was against him?

Talib got benched......

Also if we gonna rip Revis for having one bad half against Steve Smith, you remember how Talib was against him?

Talib got benched......
I agree. That's partly why I gave up on this BS argument. It's asinine at this point and it's really only one person in it carrying the torch for the people who somehow feel he wasn't shutdown or all world last season. I saw every game last season and my eyes tell me something completely different. I don't care what statistics or metrics are posted. Talib looked like sh*t in the playoff game against Indy last season, which happens to be the same Indy team that shut down all their receivers and had Reggie Wayne quit on the team . . . again. TY Hilton was damn near crying on the sideline in America's Game. I really don't get why some people just can't either admit they maybe exaggerated something, got it completely wrong or walk away, especially since the person can decide which one it will be. It's silly.

Also, you forget the gauntlet of receivers we played last year??

I think your fetching at straws here man. BB and co, made the right decision letting him walk, but he was fantastic last year.
Talib faced Julio Jones, AJ Green, Graham, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, D Thomas. If anything he was 1on1 with better WRs than Revis. I am not grasping at anything, Revis was not anything more than what Talib did for us in 2013, the numbers back that up as does the level of competition.

I never said Revis was not excellent last year, but he was not any better than Talib who was excellent in 2013, and he was not an island last year by any stretch of the imagination.

How many games Talib miss in 2013?

Thank you.
3 big deal, this is not a question about health. This is about performance, Revis has missed his fair share of games in his career.

Talib faced Julio Jones, AJ Green, Graham, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, D Thomas. If anything he was 1on1 with better WRs than Revis. I am not grasping at anything, Revis was not anything more than what Talib did for us in 2013, the numbers back that up as does the level of competition.

I never said Revis was not excellent last year, but he was not any better than Talib who was excellent in 2013, and he was not an island last year by any stretch of the imagination.

No Revis was much better than Talib.

Talib had an amazing 4 game stretch, got hurt, then came back where he was really good, but not great.

3 big deal, this is not a question about health. This is about performance, Revis has missed his fair share of games in his career.

He missed 3 + came out second year in a row AFC championship game and never came back.

Talib was unreliable. That is a big deal.

No Revis was much better than Talib.

Talib had an amazing 4 game stretch, got hurt, then came back where he was really good, but not great.
The stats tell a different story. Talib allowed a lower completion percentage and passer rating.

The problem is the last name on Revis jersey exaggerates everything he does. If Revis was on the back or Ryan last night people would be suggesting that game be shown 24x7 at the football HOF. Stop putting stock in the name of the player. Revis is a top 5 CB but he isn't what he used to be not even close.

The stats tell a different story. Talib allowed a lower completion percentage and passer rating.

The problem is the last name on Revis jersey exaggerates everything he does. If Revis was on the back or Ryan last night people would be suggesting that game be shown 24x7 at the football HOF. Stop putting stock in the name of the player. Revis is a top 5 CB but he isn't what he used to be not even close.

Stats lie.

Do you think the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl without Revis?

That's a tough question.

Honestly? I don't know. Revis was important last year. He eliminated receivers out of games. That was a brutal scheduale with elite WR's and QB's. BB thought outside the box and instead of locking Revis on #1's he used him to eliminate #2, but what I'm asking myself now is, was Revis more important to that defense last year as Collins/Hightower is this year? I honestly don't think so, and we're still winning without those guys.

My first reaction was to say no we don't win, but its a good question.

Oof. I'm not sure how Mehta managed to type any Revis articles in March while waving his green and white pompoms in the air, but this seems to indicate that he's off the Revis hype train. Some excerpts:
Beckham will threaten Flipper Anderson’s 26-year-old single-game receiving record (336 yards) if the Jets are foolish enough to give him the true Revis Island treatment.

The Jets obviously believed that the nine-year veteran had at least 2-3 years of top-end play left when they guaranteed him $39 million as part of a five-year, $70 million deal, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

The Jets knew that they had to overpay to lure Revis back, but this contract might be an albatross if he doesn’t play better against elite receivers.

The Jets severely overpaid for Revis to shut down the game’s best receivers

Mehta: Darrelle Revis vs. Odell Beckham isn't a fair fight

I scouted ODB predraft in 2014 he was the #3 player on my board behind Clowney and Donald. The kid is an absolute freak, he has the best hands and body control I have ever seen. He will go down as one of the greatest WRs to ever play.

I actually liked Jarvis (at the time i called him) "sure handy Landy" better then I liked OBJ, only because I don't really follow much of the top 15 players in a draft seeing we have zero chance of getting them.

Jarvis Landry was an extremely special talent coming out of LSU, I really wish we would've taken him, but I also love the Jimmy G pick so its hard to argue. Brady would've turned that dude into a F'in stud. His ridiculous catch highlight real was nothing short of OBJ's. OBJ is just a faster player more physically elite prospect. However Landry plays a much more physical style of football. Him and Edelman teamed up would've been really fun to watch.

Have any of you ever watched his highlight tape?

It makes it just a little hard to swallow the Jimmy pick 1 spot before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3