Semi-OT: How best to use Revis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Source: Incident on Jets' team flight sealed Quinton Coples' ouster

Also has stuff on Coples' release.

3. Closing Revis Island? When Darrelle Revis returns from his concussion, it'll be interesting to see if there are any changes in how he's deployed. For the most part, he gets the No. 1 receiver with no safety help. It backfired last week in Houston, where he was torched by DeAndre Hopkins on a 61-yard touchdown. Revis was criticized for being a star in decline, but maybe, as former Jets assistant-turned-analyst Mike Westhoff pointed out in an ESPN 98.7 radio interview, the coaches should adjust to help out the player.

Maybe the Jets should take a page from -- dare I say it? -- the New England Patriots' playbook. Last season, Bill Belichick often put Revis in single coverage on the No. 2 receiver, using two other defenders to double the No. 1. Naturally, there were exceptions, depending on the team and the receivers, but that was the general philosophy. They won a Super Bowl, so it's hard to argue with the approach. The pass-coverage rules are so pro-offense that it has become a herculean challenge for a cornerback, even a great one, to man-up against a star receiver on every single play.

I believe Revis would be open to the change. My gut tells me he and Bowles probably have discussed it, and the reason I say that is because the Jets started mixing their coverages after the Hopkins touchdown, assigning Revis to different receivers.

This will be a big story in the coming days because they play the New York Giants, and the assumption is Revis -- if healthy -- will cover Odell Beckham Jr. Stay tuned.

BB and Matty P I'm sure saw the decline of Revis coming. Remember when he got burnt by Wallace week 1? That was it for that experiment. He's no longer fast enough for man on big receivers.

who cares?
i hope revis gets burned every game and the jets lose!:D

It's educational as to how good the Jets are or aren't likely to be.

It's also a tidbit about a good defensive coaching decision by the Patriots.

It also provides context for the use of CBs by the Patriots this season.

And by the way -- all the things Revis is motivated by at this point depend on him being genuinely useful to the team, to the greatest extent possible. So I expect him to be a good soldier as the Jets belatedly figure out how best to use him.

Prior to his best if used by date of 3/2015.

BB and Matty P I'm sure saw the decline of Revis coming. Remember when he got burnt by Wallace week 1? That was it for that experiment. He's no longer fast enough for man on big receivers.

He blanketed AJ Green last year...

AJ Green doesn't do much more than run flys and deep in cuts. For a guy like Revis that's easy. Plus he's not as fast as Wallace.

He's fine (aka still revis island). Lot of references to the Hopkins TD. Just don't make that idiotic play call again. Don't put your corners in man coverage with no safety help at all, show blitz but then back off. If you're playing man coverage like that... blitz.

It's the equivalent of playing ball with your friends but not allowing any pass rushers. Eventually someone will get open. Especially a world-class athlete like Hopkins. Revis 5 years ago still wouldn't have been able to cover that play.

He's fine (aka still revis island). Lot of references to the Hopkins TD. Just don't make that idiotic play call again. Don't put your corners in man coverage with no safety help at all, show blitz but then back off. If you're playing man coverage like that... blitz.

It's the equivalent of playing ball with your friends but not allowing any pass rushers. Eventually someone will get open. Especially a world-class athlete like Hopkins. Revis 5 years ago still wouldn't have been able to cover that play.
He isn't an island anymore. He is a top CB still but he hasn't been an island since his knee injury.

He isn't an island anymore. He is a top CB still but he hasn't been an island since his knee injury.

We'll see next Sunday vs Junior.

Green had 5 catches on 7 targets for 81 yards and a touchdown in that game you speak of = 81 catches 1296 yards 16 touchdowns if Green did that every week. I hardly consider that blanketed.

ODB will have 100+ yards if they don't give Revis help. The kid is to fast for a 30 year old Revis.

This worries me more than his speed. Even though pretty sure this was an incompletion because Revis had forced him outta bounds, dude has gotta be catching that 10+' in the air.

cropped_REU_2296911.jpg

Green had 5 catches on 7 targets for 81 yards and a touchdown in that game you speak of = 81 catches 1296 yards 16 touchdowns if Green did that every week. I hardly consider that blanketed.

B6 none of those were on Revis, and if it was it was on garbage time.

You one of those with a short memory now??

B6 none of those were on Revis, and if it was it was on garbage time.

You one of those with a short memory now??
My contention even last year is that the play of Revis is exaggerated by the name on the back of his jersey. He played against mostly #2 WRs and was very good but his QB rating allowed last season was about the same as Talib's in 2013 and higher than Logan Ryan's this year.

2009-2011 Revis was incredible, the island got blown over by the hurricane know as micro fracture knee surgery, and now it's just an overpriced vacation spot.

As far as Green goes he was the other teams #1 WR and he had good stats, Revis didn't take him out of the game, if he were still an island he would have shadowed him every snap and shut him down.

I really could give a **** how they use him ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes