Seau coming in for a physical, wants 1 more year [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Thanks Dan Pires for this update

Seau not looking to graduate...Yet
Foxboro --- Hey, old people need to be productive, too. The Pats had the oldest linebacker corps in the NFL last season, and that didn't stop them from getting to the Super Bowl and going 18-0 leading up to it.

While their first-round pick, Tennessee’s Jerod Mayo will bring down the average, it may be a case where the Pats will average it out by another signing.

Down at the bottom of today’s S-T column about the first day of the draft, there’s a little bit of news about Junior Seau. Seau may have turned 39 in January, but he’s not quite ready to graduate (again) and is looking to make a return. That’s assuming he passes a physical and close inspection of his surgically-repaired shoulder (which one? I don’t know. It was, however, due to a torn rotator cuff). The Patriots, however, are bringing him in for a physical.

Asked if the combination of injuries, age and years in the league (18 seasons in the NFL) if it might the end of the line for the very spry veteran, he said he wasn’t sure and that he’s happy they’re doing their due diligence.

“That ain’t going to stop them,” Seau added about the mitigating factors.

Anyhow, read more their two first day picks (they also selected Colorado cornerback Terrence Wheatley) here. http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080427/SPORTS/804270379

Thanks for reading and for your support!

--- Dan Pires

P.S. Make sure to keep up here, too – Dave Brown (not the former NY Giants quarterback) is reporting live from NYC.

Bring him back one more time.

Re: Seau coming in for a physical, wants 1 more year

Hell yeah.

that's great news.

I felt so bad for him...that picture of him laying on the field at the end of the Super Bowl is heartbreaking. Give him one more chance, coach!

It's nice to invite everyone to the party but...

which one of you guys wants to play the turk?

4 new linebackers -1, 5 new corners -2

It's nice to invite everyone to the party but...

which one of you guys wants to play the turk?

4 new linebackers -1, 5 new corners -2

I think Junior Seau has the inside track on Bo Rudd to make the roster...

Yeah, Ruud has no chance - he's playing in preseason hoping to make the practice squad.

Alexander's time may be up.

This is the best Patriots news I've seen or read all weekend.

The guy came up huge for us in the AFC Championship game last year…

The guy came up huge for us in the AFC Championship game last year…

Seau's tackle in the backfield may have won the pats that game.

He was awesome against the Chargers.

This is is great all around.

For starters, he was a very productive player last year. And with the new additions, there is no reason the Patriots shouldnt be able to limit his snaps this year / keep him fresh and healthy.

Second, I also hate the idea of seeing him go out like he did during the SB. He was so excited too, leading up to the game, taking about "ever" and all that.

Third, keeping team oriented guys around who are dying for a ring is never a bad thing. If nothing else, he will keep the new and young guys on track.

Certainly, the coaching staff will have tough decisions to make about which young backers to keep and let go. But thats what they are paid to do.

Of course I agree. Doesn't really solve that math problem though, does it?

LB...seau bru vrab thomas Hobson woods alexander mayo crable izzo

S...harrison merri sanders tank andrews (various backups) C... hobbs +3 new FA +2 new Draft picks.

I suppose we need to keep the vets while Hobson and the rest train, but they need to play some, or how will they learn?

It's amazing to me that Woods and Alexander play serious minutes in playoffs and super bowls and hardly ever in blowouts during the season.

If they're just going to have "accidents" and end up on ir, how are they going to learn to play?

Sweet.

Hobson-Mayo-Bruschi-Seau all inside. Great news, especially for Mayo's development.

Any early thoughts on what the rotation looks like there?

2ro6s2g.jpg

Just try to avoid doing this again. :D

I'd also add that before the season starts, injuries, unfortunately, will be a given. When the final cutdown days come about, logjams in the defensive backfield and at linebacker may have already resolved themselves.

Of course I agree. Doesn't really solve that math problem though, does it?

LB...seau bru vrab thomas Hobson woods alexander mayo crable izzo

S...harrison merri sanders tank andrews (various backups) C... hobbs +3 new FA +2 new Draft picks.

I suppose we need to keep the vets while Hobson and the rest train, but they need to play some, or how will they learn?

It's amazing to me that Woods and Alexander play serious minutes in playoffs and super bowls and hardly ever in blowouts during the season.

If they're just going to have "accidents" and end up on ir, how are they going to learn to play?

True about the play time, but Bo Rudd is a great "accident" candidate because he's something like 6'3" 235lb and the scouting reports specifically mention he could stand to add 15 lbs to his frame. So a year on IR would not be a total waste for the kid if he spends it training and watching film with Junior.

True about the play time, but Bo Rudd is a great "accident" candidate because he's something like 6'3" 235lb and the scouting reports specifically mention he could stand to add 15 lbs to his frame. So a year on IR would not be a total waste for the kid if he spends it training and watching film with Junior.

I guess I'm just being a Grinch. I love Junior and Teddy. I guess I'm just stating my honest feelings.

Actually Seau is some kind of freak. When i see him jumping around like a little kid, I have to wonder what he's on.:D I'm an old guy and i want some.

Glass half full observation: With all the injury stress, maybe teddy will actually look more energetic. He's not that old.

Glass half empty: he has nowhere near the athleticism he had a few years ago.

I guess when I heard BB say he's been trying to get younger on D for six years (at LB) I was screaming, "you didn't try hard enough!" I realize there's a learning curve, but i am itching to see linebackers running and jumping and batting balls down.

Covering those TEs and backs and chasing down Joseph f*****g Addai!!!

Rant over, sorry.:(

Last edited:

When the final cutdown days come about, logjams in the defensive backfield and at linebacker may have already resolved themselves.

Just read that bolded phrase over to yourselves, gang. A few months back, could you have imagined those words? :)

Just read that bolded phrase over to yourselves, gang. A few months back, could you have imagined those words? :)

good call. maybe itll be like last year with the receivers.

either way it's not a bad problem to have.

That hit me earlier, and it is a lovely thought.

Who would have thought when we were talking about a six man LB rotation we could get eight or more?

It's really premature, but that's reminiscent of 2003.

I was mostly confident about the DB situation, though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST