PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sean's notes from 7/28/06 TC (both practices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Well first off i just got home and i do have pictures but if you can understand i am very tired and burned. So i will try and get the pictures up tonight at some point.

Morning practice:

Very basics type of morning going through tackling drills, passing drills, catching etc.

Tom Brady was on the money with his passes and a majority of them were to Reche (looking amazing) Caldwell and John Stone (forgive me i lost my sheet leaving the TC so i cant remember names very well).

Going back to Reche though he looked amazing and very capable of being a possession WR that this team loves. Stone was very sure handed and looked like he could compete for a job.

Bam Childress was not in attendance in either practice.

Went to special teams drills where Belichick was showing Watson and Thomas correct blocking maneuvers.

Belichick pulled Mike Wright aside twice for his poor play and execution at NT you could hear Belichick telling him how to come out of the three point stance.
(Side note belichick was very upset at second practice visually)

Afternoon practice:

Cassel was a bit off with his passes but pretty much solid. Bramlet and Mortenson were bad. Bad is the kindest thing i can write about them at this point.

Dillon looked great hitting the holes and outside fast. Then Maroney took snaps from Tom right after Dillon and made the crowd say wow a couple of times with his speed. Vrabel and Bruschi both gave Maroney a couple of good pops while running.

I know this is the first practice and all but the WR's looked bad. Bad hands, drops you name it they made it. The only exceptions were Reche Caldwell and Stone. Stone had of couple of hard drops and Reche had one drop where after he dropped it he did 20 push ups on his own will. Troy Brown wasn't at the first practice but was there at the 2nd. Dropped a ton of balls at least 8.

Watson and Thomas were the only real TE's

OL looked solid from my view.

LB's looked fast and communicated well. You could hear Beisel and Bruschi communicate and then hear Colvin and Vrabel communicate back telling them coverage pick ups. Very cool to hear and see. LB's impressed. Me that is.

DB situation i have no idea what went on. I saw Wilson at corner. Samuel sitting Sanders and Hawkins at safety with guys like tebucky and Mel rotating in. I was just like wow this back field is nuts right now. One on one drills between WR's and DB's didn't look good. Hobbs, Tebucky, Warfield, Spann? were all caught holding. Warfield is no where up to speed with the rest of the guys from my point of view.

ST KR situation. Very cool new thing the specials teams KR are trying out. They have to hold a football while a ball is being kicked to them and then before they catch the kicked ball they have to throw the one they have in their hands in the air, catch the kicked ball, then catch the ball they threw.

KR guys were Maroney, Hobbs, Faulk, and Andrews.

Belichick was visually angry at the end of the second practice. First he made the entire offense run a lap. Then made both offense and defense do at least 6 full field sprints. After the sprints he called out several players who he saw easily caught for "unforgivable" penalties. Hobbs for holding, Warren for offsides, Shelton for delay of game, etc (cant recall the others) and made those guys run a lap each. Kind of like a run of shame. After they came back he huddled the guys together and he looked visually upset with the undisciplined look of the practice so to speak.

If anyone has any questions about practice or anything please leave them hear and i'd be happy to answer them. Also any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

-Sean

Re: Sean's notes from 7/28 TC (both practices)

man Hobbs didnt seem to having a good day..he let up the best play of morning to Caldwell then in afternoon to Musinski(SP)..holding. hmm

How was our old pal TeBucky for most part? and what was deal with TBC..i read something that if you wanted to see someone cut on the spot..should of seen TBC came untouched off the edge and could of killed Brady but he just touched him. Did TBC do something wrong or the OL?

Howd Wilfork look? Who impressed you most all day? Least?

Remix 6 said:
man Hobbs didnt seem to having a good day..he let up the best play of morning to Caldwell then in afternoon to Musinski(SP)..holding. hmm

How was our old pal TeBucky for most part? and what was deal with TBC..i read something that if you wanted to see someone cut on the spot..should of seen TBC came untouched off the edge and could of killed Brady but he just touched him. Did TBC do something wrong or the OL?

Here was that note by Tomase, BTW:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

July 28, 2006 on 4:08 pm
Close call
Posted by: John Tomase

Ever wonder what it looks like to see a player cut on the spot in front of 3,000 fans? Tully Banta-Cain had his chance to find out during the afternoon practice a few moments ago when he blitzed untouched off the left end and had an impeded shot at quarterback Tom Brady. Rather than lay out The Franchise with a blindside hit, however, Banta-Cain wisely peeled away and Brady tossed an incompletion.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Well first off i just got home and i do have pictures but if you can understand i am very tired and burned. So i will try and get the pictures up tonight at some point.

Morning practice:

Very basics type of morning going through tackling drills, passing drills, catching etc.

Tom Brady was on the money with his passes and a majority of them were to Reche (looking amazing) Caldwell and John Stone (forgive me i lost my sheet leaving the TC so i cant remember names very well).

Going back to Reche though he looked amazing and very capable of being a possession WR that this team loves. Stone was very sure handed and looked like he could compete for a job.

Bam Childress was not in attendance in either practice.

Went to special teams drills where Belichick was showing Watson and Thomas correct blocking maneuvers.

Belichick pulled Mike Wright aside twice for his poor play and execution at NT you could hear Belichick telling him how to come out of the three point stance.
(Side note belichick was very upset at second practice visually)

Afternoon practice:

Cassel was a bit off with his passes but pretty much solid. Bramlet and Mortenson were bad. Bad is the kindest thing i can write about them at this point.

Dillon looked great hitting the holes and outside fast. Then Maroney took snaps from Tom right after Dillon and made the crowd say wow a couple of times with his speed. Vrabel and Bruschi both gave Maroney a couple of good pops while running.

I know this is the first practice and all but the WR's looked bad. Bad hands, drops you name it they made it. The only exceptions were Reche Caldwell and Stone. Stone had of couple of hard drops and Reche had one drop where after he dropped it he did 20 push ups on his own will. Troy Brown wasn't at the first practice but was there at the 2nd. Dropped a ton of balls at least 8.

Watson and Thomas were the only real TE's

OL looked solid from my view.

LB's looked fast and communicated well. You could hear Beisel and Bruschi communicate and then hear Colvin and Vrabel communicate back telling them coverage pick ups. Very cool to hear and see. LB's impressed. Me that is.

DB situation i have no idea what went on. I saw Wilson at corner. Samuel sitting Sanders and Hawkins at safety with guys like tebucky and Mel rotating in. I was just like wow this back field is nuts right now. One on one drills between WR's and DB's didn't look good. Hobbs, Tebucky, Warfield, Spann? were all caught holding. Warfield is no where up to speed with the rest of the guys from my point of view.

ST KR situation. Very cool new thing the specials teams KR are trying out. They have to hold a football while a ball is being kicked to them and then before they catch the kicked ball they have to throw the one they have in their hands in the air, catch the kicked ball, then catch the ball they threw.

KR guys were Maroney, Hobbs, Faulk, and Andrews.

Belichick was visually angry at the end of the second practice. First he made the entire offense run a lap. Then made both offense and defense do at least 6 full field sprints. After the sprints he called out several players who he saw easily caught for "unforgivable" penalties. Hobbs for holding, Warren for offsides, Shelton for delay of game, etc (cant recall the others) and made those guys run a lap each. Kind of like a run of shame. After they came back he huddled the guys together and he looked visually upset with the undisciplined look of the practice so to speak.

If anyone has any questions about practice or anything please leave them hear and i'd be happy to answer them. Also any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

-Sean

Was the attendance at the second practice lower so that you could actually hear BB talk about the penalties?

"LB's looked fast and communicated well. You could hear Beisel and Bruschi communicate and then hear Colvin and Vrabel communicate back telling them coverage pick ups. Very cool to hear and see. LB's impressed. Me that is."

Very neat....

One of the things missed is that our starting LB in TC this year is better than last year....

McG, Chad Brown, Beisel, Vrabel

versus

Colvin, Bruschi, Beisel, Vrabel

Plus, last year Vrabel was hurt coming out of TC ... Colvin took his place

Remix 6 said:

Tebucky is big. Outside LB'er big. He's definitely head and shoulders taller than the rest of the DB's. He looked fairly decent but slower than most of the other DB's.

Tomase is a clown, cut on the spot? Please other than that play on the OL was solid and held really well. The RT could have been a rookie but im not so sure on that specific play.

Wilfork was a space eater. Took double coverage most of the time and still got a good push but its only practice so who knows how hard anybody was trying.

My hands down most outstanding player of the day was Reche Caldwell. Both practices, great catches and seems to have a good determination.

BTW Koppen and Jackson were there in shirts and shorts.

pats1 said:
Was the attendance at the second practice lower so that you could actually hear BB talk about the penalties?
Attendance at the 2nd practice was just above 1800. Besides i was really close to BB.

well Tebucky is 6"2 220..so i definatley expect him to be bigger and slower :\

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanBruschi54 said:
Attendance at the 2nd practice was just above 1800. Besides i was really close to BB.

Reiss just posted his wrapup:

* Today's announced attendance was 6,413. The breakdown was 3,763 for the morning and 2,650 for the afternoon.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 06:24:20 PM

pats1 said:
Reiss just posted his wrapup:
No way. I asked the guy personally and he said just over 1800 and it was around half the morning crowd.

I dont know. Maybe the guy i asked guessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanB, many of us are in your debt!
What you hear and see is important to us ... but so is what you feel and think.
The fans' eye view ... so to say.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to "include us in".

SeanBruschi54 said:
Bramlet and Mortenson were bad. Bad is the kindest thing i can write about them at this point.

What IS IT with those two guys? Same as mini-camp!

Can't they see this is a team with only 2 QBs ... who really wants one of them to show something?

flutie2phelan said:
SeanBruschi54 said:

Can't they see this is a team with only 2 QBs ... who really wants one of them to show something?
I think they just want to have 4 QB's going into camp like they do every year just to cut down on the reps of Brady and cassel.

Remix 6 said:

Don't remember who did the write-up, but there was one report that Caldwell's nice catch was just that, a diving grab on an overthrown ball (Hobbs was glued to him and only an extraordinary effort had a shot - as it was, there was some controversy on whether it would have been a legit grab in a game). Nice to read Musinski made Hobbs sweat a little, I believe Casale on Patriots.com spoke well of Musinski's route running and hands in his morning report.

flutie2phelan said:
SeanBruschi54 said:

I do, at least show enough to develop on the Practice Squad. I liked Mortenson in NFLE, it will be interesting to see how he does as he learns the offense and develops some rapport with the 3rd string receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back