PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Raiders on the verge of releasing CB Hall (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss was a pretty bad football player in Oakland too. Sometimes a change of scenery can motivate players to play their best. If that scenery is New England and not Atlanta or Oakland you could get a steal.

Moss was an All Pro in Minnesotta though. Hall has never been as productive as Moss was his first half dozen years in the league.

Normally, I'd want nothing to do with this guy, but the cornerback position is bad enough for us that I wouldn't be against seeing him be at least brought in. I'm sure that Moss could give him a pretty awesome pitch. He'd have to be willing to come in at a bargain basement price like Moss did, though (way less than Moss took, since he's maybe half the player Moss is).

Last edited:
Sorry, but I always felt Hall was overrated. If he was half as good as he thinks he is though, he would be good enough that the HOF committee would wave the 5 years after you retire wait period to nominate and carve him a bust tomorrow.

Hall has a bad attitude, big ego, and isn't willing to work hard enough to turn his God given talent into a stud player in this league.

No way he comes to the Patriots. Hall said Dmitroff told him he was not a Patriot type of player and if Dmitroff thinks that, I am sure Belichick and Pioli would agree.

i think hall himself said something abt the pats at some pt..i dont remember.but he got his money and woulnt care ,probably happy if he get out of oakland.

I think we should gamble on him

i think hall himself said something abt the pats at some pt..i dont remember.but he got his money and woulnt care ,probably happy if he get out of oakland.

When Dimitroff told him he wasn't a Patriots type of player, he said he responded that he never wanted to play for the Patriots anyway.

Sorry, Hall is an attitude problem and an underachiever. Two things this team cannot afford to have in a tight division race without Brady to carry the team if the defense struggles.

When Dimitroff told him he wasn't a Patriots type of player, he said he responded that he never wanted to play for the Patriots anyway.

Sorry, Hall is an attitude problem and an underachiever. Two things this team cannot afford to have in a tight division race without Brady to carry the team if the defense struggles.

Where did you hear this?

Waivers are a strange thing. He is NOT cut, so he is still getting PAID. The situation I think will work out alot like Manny.....who was put on waivers several times but got no takers. Davis surely wont PAY the guy for not playing(IE-cut him), the players association will have his scalp if he tries anything crazy.
He isnt going anywhere, this amounts to a detention.....maybe they are trying to incite him to say or do something crazy so that they can suspend him for cause(and NOT pay him!). Remember what he did with Steve Smith....

Waivers are a strange thing. He is NOT cut, so he is still getting PAID. The situation I think will work out alot like Manny.....who was put on waivers several times but got no takers. Davis surely wont PAY the guy for not playing(IE-cut him), the players association will have his scalp if he tries anything crazy.
He isnt going anywhere, this amounts to a detention.....maybe they are trying to incite him to say or do something crazy so that they can suspend him for cause(and NOT pay him!). Remember what he did with Steve Smith....

Not true. If that were the case, then, when the Patriots cut, say, Kareem Brown to sign Troy Brown, if the JEST hadn't signed him, the Pats would still have been responsible for K. Brown's salary.

What actually happens is this: when any player is released after the trade deadline--UFA-eligible or not--he must pass through waivers, and can be claimed, at his original contract terms, by any other team. If he passes through waivers, then he's a UFA, and can sign a contract with any team for any valid terms.

Not true. If that were the case, then, when the Patriots cut, say, Kareem Brown to sign Troy Brown, if the JEST hadn't signed him, the Pats would still have been responsible for K. Brown's salary.

What actually happens is this: when any player is released after the trade deadline--UFA-eligible or not--he must pass through waivers, and can be claimed, at his original contract terms, by any other team. If he passes through waivers, then he's a UFA, and can sign a contract with any team for any valid terms.

I think you may have made my point for me.....I think the raiders only way out of Halls contract is for someone else to pick him up right? If they have to pay the guy its my contention that Al Davis(notorious cheapscate)wont pay the guy to play on another team....possibly even AGAINST his team(so he wont be cut). If they cut him I think they are responsible for the rest of his salary correct???

Re: OT: Raiders about to release DeAngelo Hall

...we could get him for free just need to pony up some $$...

Just thought this quote was funny. :D

I think you may have made my point for me.....I think the raiders only way out of Halls contract is for someone else to pick him up right? If they have to pay the guy its my contention that Al Davis(notorious cheapscate)wont pay the guy to play on another team....possibly even AGAINST his team(so he wont be cut). If they cut him I think they are responsible for the rest of his salary correct???
If a team makes a waiver claim, then the player (Hall) gets paid by the new team that picks him up under the same contract terms. In this case, that means it is highly unlikely that anybody is going to make a waiver claim for Hall. Once he clears waivers, he is then an unrestricted free agent and is free to negotiate and sign with any team (even the Raiders) at whatever terms the two sides agree upon.

Davis is on the hook for the signing bonus and whatever other guarantees (showing up to training camp, being on the roster on certain dates, etc.) were in the contract; those were already paid. Davis is off the hook for the remainder of the annual salary in the contract.

No, if he passes through waivers, he's off the team. they don't pay him another dime. they are still on the hook for his signing bonus under the cap, however.

If he makes it through waivers, he's a free agent -free to sign with any team, for any amount.

No, if he passes through waivers, he's off the team. they don't pay him another dime. they are still on the hook for his signing bonus under the cap, however.

If he makes it through waivers, he's a free agent -free to sign with any team, for any amount.

That is correct (the SB is money that's already been paid out); at this point in the season, it can be prorated over both the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Moss was an All Pro in Minnesotta though. Hall has never been as productive as Moss was his first half dozen years in the league.

Never said he was as productive as Moss but Hall has put up impressive stats to begin his career, he had 6 INTs in his second season, his tackle numbers are right there with the best CBs in the league, and he made the probowl in 2005 and 2006. He had major issues with the coaching staff in atlanta last year, and has said he wants to play for a contender before. I think he could play at a high level on the right team, a contending team.

Last edited:
Just when I thought I had been fully astounded.

Spacenut, its clear what I meant was that big Al signed him to a big-bonus type deal in addition to the draft picks. His game checks are likely a much smaller piece of the pie than the BONUS, and he is basically paying him for the year(albeit not fully--MILLIONS for 8 games right?)not to play. This does NOT sound like the Al we know and love. If it were a small bonus and a big salary big Al wins, though thats not likely the case. Either way they have the cap space eaten for the year correct? I thought that if a vet was on the opening day roster his salary was guaranteed....and thats why alot of guys here thought we were going to pick up some of those older vets post game 1.....Either way you dont have to go off on me, its likely half the guys on this thread know all the ramifications of waivers yet you zooed on ME. Chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes