PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Raiders on the verge of releasing CB Hall (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have missed it in this thread, but how long does it take to clear waivers?

So in the interest of not seeming like "one of those guys" I'm laying high odds Hall is a Patriot by Friday. Let's call it a gut feeling.

Now I'm not claiming to know anything more than the average joe and even if I knew they were going to make an offer, doesn't mean he would accept it.

On top of my gut feeling, I decided to visit The Weekly World News, Sports Edition (aka PFT) and lo and behold, a rumour along the same lines (below).

I hope if I'm right, someone will make a space for me at a December Bills Tailgate.

ProFootballTalk.com - RAIDERS OFFERED HALL A CHANCE TO STAY

Excerpt:

A league source tells us that the Oakland Raiders offered to keep cornerback DeAngelo Hall for the rest of the 2008 season.

But to stay Hall would have had to sacrifice the injury guarantee applicable to his $9 million option bonus due in March 2009 and his guaranteed base salary of $7.5 million for 2009.

Hall declined.

Teams have until Thursday to make waiver claims for Hall. The more likely outcome is that Hall won’t be claimed, and that he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.

There is increasing speculation that the Patriots could be interested in adding Hall, under a minimum-salary deal for the balance of the season. The thinking in some circles is that the Pats would rely upon their veteran leadership in the locker room to influence Hall to be something other than a turd.

And if he steps out of line even once, the Pats would undoubtedly cut him loose.

So in the interest of not seeming like "one of those guys" I'm laying high odds Hall is a Patriot by Friday. Let's call it a gut feeling.

Now I'm not claiming to know anything more than the average joe and even if I knew they were going to make an offer, doesn't mean he would accept it.

On top of my gut feeling, I decided to visit The Weekly World News, Sports Edition (aka PFT) and lo and behold, a rumour along the same lines (below).

I hope if I'm right, someone will make a space for me at a December Bills Tailgate.

Excerpt:

I love speculation like this. I can't imagine what leads people to believe a guy under 30 due $9M in injury guarantees and $7M+ in salary next year would play for anyone for the remainder of this season for the minimum and risk seeing his career end on a freak play. He will want at least the semblance/appearance of another long term deal and someone like Jerry Jones will give it to him.

Excerpt:
It's hard to give much credibility to an article that uses the word "turd".

"This is a blessing," Hall said. "I have learned it's not all about the money. I've learned now it's more about the team. Ain't all money good money. I took the bait. I went for the money and I didn't research the situation. But I don't think I would trade this for the world. Just to meet Al Davis, to get to pick his brain, to know the kind of person he is and the impression he had on football is good for me to say that I know him."

Hall faces uncertain future after being relased by Raiders

If he truly believes it's team first, and it's not all about the money then i say let's give him a shot.

Last edited:

:ditto: Still wouldn't mind seein us give him a workout at a minimum. He seems to fit into zone schemes which would play to our strengths...

I went and started a thread on this in the NFL Football Forum. Mods can merge if you want. I never seem to know what's going on.

If he truly believes it's team first, and it's not all about the money then i say let's give him a shot.

It's easy to say the right things though isn't it, especially when your unemployed. I hope he does finally leave his ego at the door of whoever takes the risk on him because he'll become a better player but some people are just too dumb to learn.

It's easy to say the right things though isn't it, especially when your unemployed. I hope he does finally leave his ego at the door of whoever takes the risk on him because he'll become a better player but some people are just too dumb to learn.

Yea, His agent told him, "Be nice or face the possibility of never playing again".

If Hall can't "make it" here, he won't make it anywhere in the NFL.

As long as we don't have to guarentee too much its a win win.

Two years removed from his second Pro Bowl, cornerback DeAngelo Hall said he doesn’t think his release from the Oakland Raiders eight games into the season has damaged his reputation as a good player or, he hopes, as a person.

“I don’t think so,” Hall said Wednesday, hours after he was officially released by the Raiders. “As bad as people may think I’m playing, I’m not playing all that bad. I’ve got about 50 tackles (48), (13) pass breakups, three picks — one off the league lead — and I’ve dropped a lot. I’m feeling good. I think if I get in a scheme that fits me, that will benefit me.

“I want the world to know that this didn’t happen because I was a dirt bag and messing around. A lot of people were making me out to be a (bad person). It is what it is, a business decision. (Team owner) Al Davis assured me that it had nothing to do with me, the person. It was a financial thing.”

The National Football Post | Hall: “This Is A Blessing”

If he finds his way here, will Davis cry tampering again? He sure is saying all of the things Kraft, Pioli and Belichick like to hear.

If he truly is a zone player as opposed to a man corner, he's got the possibility to be Samuel all over again.

Last edited:

I couldn't stop laughing, convince him not to be a turd, that is a classic.

Hall is one of a long line of VaTech players who never seem to have grown up. Last year he lost a game for the Falcons on back to back 15 yard unsportsmanship penalties. He has the phsyical skills, but seems to lack the discipline it takes to play in the NFL.

The Pats system is all about discipline, watch any game and see how the OLB rush to contain the QB, and do not make a bee line to sack him, each d-lineman plays "Two-gap" which means they are responcible for a run on either side of the O-Lineman in front of them. There is very little "free-lance" in the Pats system, it is a bend, don't break defensive philosophy, which preidcates itslef on making the other team turn out long sustained drives to score, and the Pats rely on making a 3rd down stop to get off the field.

Does any of this sound like the way that Hall likes to play? He has all the talent in the world, but couldn't play man to man in Oakland, and you think he is going to pick up the Pats system? I can't see it. Look for the Cowboys to sign him, just because Jerry Jones seems to want to sign everyone this year.

Last edited:
Pats play mostly zone. So the fact that Hall couldn't play man in Oakland has nothing to do with our system. I'm not ready to bury Hall yet. His situation sounds a lot like Moss. And he's never been documented to do anything as bad as Pacman Jones has he?

Bah, I think more articles should incorporate "turd" into the lexicon. In fact, I would also like to see an increase in the hyphenated "turd-burglar" as well.

As far as Hall goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats take a shot at him, but I would be surprised if he accepted a vet min offer which is all I think they would give, I also don't expect him to last the year here if they do and he accepts. 3 penalties, 67 yards, 1 drive. That's not coaching, that's not "a bad environment", that's not a player that can handle the mental scrutiny he'll be put under come humble pie time. JMHO but if he comes here (and I don't think he's the kind of guy who will even if we made him a vet min offer), I don't see him lasting long.

Bah, I think more articles should incorporate "turd" into the lexicon. In fact, I would also like to see an increase in the hyphenated "turd-burglar" as well.

As far as Hall goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats take a shot at him, but I would be surprised if he accepted a vet min offer which is all I think they would give, I also don't expect him to last the year here if they do and he accepts. 3 penalties, 67 yards, 1 drive. That's not coaching, that's not "a bad environment", that's not a player that can handle the mental scrutiny he'll be put under come humble pie time. JMHO but if he comes here (and I don't think he's the kind of guy who will even if we made him a vet min offer), I don't see him lasting long.

Did you say the same about Randy Moss? Just curious.

I love speculation like this. I can't imagine what leads people to believe a guy under 30 due $9M in injury guarantees and $7M+ in salary next year would play for anyone for the remainder of this season for the minimum and risk seeing his career end on a freak play. He will want at least the semblance/appearance of another long term deal and someone like Jerry Jones will give it to him.

Hey he signed Pacperson so why not Hall?
The Cows are on track to field the NFL's 1st All A-hole team!

Hall certainly is something of an enigma - he's got lots of physical talent but does seem to have some of the VT mindlessness as well. But by most accounts he is a better zone CB than man CB, and he does have more INT's than everyone on the Pats but Meriweather. So my question is-

OK, Hall 'sucks' but does he Deltha O'Neal suck? I don't think so...

If nothing else he could ably man KO returns and give Hobbs some rest and protection. You think things are tough now? Just imagine Hobbs (or Faulk) getting blown up on a meaningless KO return. Ugh. Sign Hall now.

Ummm why the hell not, if he's willing to sign a cap-friendly deal? How many CB's available out there are so much better and surer things than Hall, Grandpa Law who wants to be our highest paid DB?

FWIW, Troy Brown last night said he considers Hall a good CB. Not a #1 stud but a very viable starting CB. He may not be as good a player as his name but he doesn't "suck".

I'd be very excited if we could add a quality player now that it looks like we might make something out of our Brady-less season. I don't think Belichick is a big fan of bringing guys in midseason who have a steep learning curve though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back