PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Raiders on the verge of releasing CB Hall (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: lets pick him up

Let's not and say we did.

I still don't get the fascination with Hall. He is immensly overrated. He is a selfish player who is a cancer (rumor has it he got into a physical altrication with his own teammate that got him suspended). Thomas Dimitroff has already told the guy he isn't a Patriots type of player and I don't think he would want to come here because he wouldn't want to be just another piece in the cog and play a roll even if it means sacrificing personal glory.

Mods - can we merge this opinion with the 43 others in the prior Schefter-Hall threads?

I was looking to see what Raiders fans thought of the decision, and the thread about Hall being waived had well over 300 replies. Then I noticed another thread titled "BSPN Poll" and I had to laugh at the thought that their fans think the same of the four letter network that we do. Made me wonder if Tom Jackson is going to proclaim that the players hate their owner/president/general manager.

BREAKING (expected) NEWS.......

Nnamdi Asomugha will re-sign with the Raiders.

In acquiring Hall from the Falcons, the Raiders prepared themselves for the potential loss of Asomugha in the off season. Asomugha received the teams Franchise tag prior to the 2008 season and would receive 120% of his 2008 salary if tagged again. His salary if tagged again would jump from 9.8 million to 11.7 million.

At 11.7 million, Asomugha would be the highest paid corner in the NFL. Asante Samuel, a free agent in 2008, received a 6 year 60 million contract from the Eagles. In 2007, Samuel was franchised by the Patriots for the value of 7.79 million. Nate Clements 8 year 80 million contract set the stage for Samuel and will likely lead to Asomugha making more than $10 million a year with a more than $22 million signing bonus.

Hall was signed to a 7 year, 70 million contract by the Raiders. If/When released, Hall might be leading the march that includes Javon Walker and eventually Ronald Curry.

Even if you pick up the contract, you can always cut him after the season because you have no signing bonus cap hit. Remember everyone, NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

If for some crazy reason Randy Moss were waived tomorrow, the team picking him up on waivers would only be responsible for $4 million of his contract for the rest of the year. If it was determined that he had some ineradicable foot fungus that would spread to the rest of his teammates, then that team could cut Randy with no hit at all to their salary cap.

The difference would be he gets a new deal and potentially 31 teams to discuss one with.

Hall was signed to a 7 year, 70 million contract by the Raiders. If/When released, Hall might be leading the march that includes Javon Walker and eventually Ronald Curry.

But the Pats wouldn't want to pay him 10M per year. So why not wait till he's available without having to pick up the albatross of a contract? I don't think anybody will pick him from the waiver wire.

If you are just brushing the possibility of the Patriots having interested, then I think you grossly underestimate the severity of our secondary issues. Again, why would he not consider a modest 1 contract for the remainder of the year and attempt to rejuvenate his value with the hope that he can get another huge deal in the offseason. This player does NOT suck, I am sorry. He is a blanket corner who CAN tackle and is a very good return man. He has been given the reigns to gamble whenver he wants since he has been in the league and has not been in a disciplined defense like the Patriots where the corners play so much zone. I mean our elitist attitude like "Oh we don't need him, he is a bad person," while we have Wilhite playing legitimate downs then its ridiculous.

If you are just brushing the possibility of the Patriots having interested, then I think you grossly underestimate the severity of our secondary issues. Again, why would he not consider a modest 1 contract for the remainder of the year and attempt to rejuvenate his value with the hope that he can get another huge deal in the offseason. This player does NOT suck, I am sorry. He is a blanket corner who CAN tackle and is a very good return man. He has been given the reigns to gamble whenver he wants since he has been in the league and has not been in a disciplined defense like the Patriots where the corners play so much zone. I mean our elitist attitude like "Oh we don't need him, he is a bad person," while we have Wilhite playing legitimate downs then its ridiculous.

A lot of people were badmouthing Randy Moss when he was in a Raiders uniform... and look how he turned out? I think the real issue is whether the Pats like Hall, and then whether or not he will accept a lower salary "prove it" deal to have a chance to make an impact and raise his stock with a playoff caliber team.

If you are just brushing the possibility of the Patriots having interested, then I think you grossly underestimate the severity of our secondary issues.

It's not merely a question of interest--it's a question of value: is there value in bringing him in or not? Right now, it would appear (at least per Reiss) that there isn't enough.

There is no way to determine the value until after he is signed. There is no way he wouldn't be at least our 2nd best corner on the roster. We are probably the team in the most dire need for help in our secondary. If the guy is going to get a nice signing bonus from another team then fine, but if he can be had for next to nothing after clearing waivers then it seems like a no brainer.

There is no way to determine the value until after he is signed. There is no way he wouldn't be at least our 2nd best corner on the roster. We are probably the team in the most dire need for help in our secondary. If the guy is going to get a nice signing bonus from another team then fine, but if he can be had for next to nothing after clearing waivers then it seems like a no brainer.

There is no way he wouldn't be at least our 2nd best corner on the roster

Not a chance, he sux. There is a reason he's been cut or traded from two teams in the last 9 months - Those two team being the Falcons and Raiders, not exactly two power houses that are over flowing with talent.

Maybe this is has been brought up in this thread already, but I'm to lazy to read 8 pages.

Would you guys rather bring in Law or Hall for the remainder of the season?

Not a chance, he sux. There is a reason he's been cut or traded from two teams in the last 9 months - Those two team being the Falcons and Raiders, not exactly two power houses that are over flowing with talent.

Falcons rid themselves of him due to character issues he had and in terms of the Raiders it was their own fault for giving him the money of an elite corner which agreed he is not. It does not mean he sucks, because he doesn't.

Falcons rid themselves of him due to character issues he had and in terms of the Raiders it was their own fault for giving him the money of an elite corner which agreed he is not. It does not mean he sucks, because he doesn't.

Oh, he sucks. Trust me, I live in Atlanta and I go to a lot (most) of the Falcons Home games and have for a long long time - He's bad. Most of my buddies are Falcons fans and as such we watch the games all the time, and they all think he sucks as well and they are as hard core about their team as I am about the Pats.

When you look up overrated in the dictionary, you will soon find a picture of D. Hall.

Huff and Curry would be much more interesting.

But the Pats wouldn't want to pay him 10M per year. So why not wait till he's available without having to pick up the albatross of a contract? I don't think anybody will pick him from the waiver wire.
Correct, and do you know why no one will pick him up? 'Cause he sucks AND is a locker room problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes