PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sheffter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Sentimentality and bat**** insanity are completely different things. Cutting your most important RB, your starting LT, and your best CB to fit in a guy who's never played OLB? That's the latter, sir.

Yet people on here have wanted to cut Matt Light for years and hate Hobbs.

i defnitely trust the sources schefter has over caruccis

If Schefter is basing his opinion on source information then I believe him. If he's basing it on his own personal speculation then it's a flip a coin thingy.

On the other hand, Carucci doesn't go tossing information like this out unless he has credible sources that have told him things. So if he's reporting it then I'm certain something is up.

I haven't read all this thread but happened to hear Schefter on WEEI this morning. I googled around looking for a place to discuss the interview and discovered I have an account on this message board...

I thought it was an amusing discussion because Schefter has all the facts but, it seemed to me, drew all the wrong conclusions.

He talked about how no one could afford Peppers, especially given the economy, but didn't seem to realize that if "no one" can afford to have Peppers on their team, certainly the Carolina Panthers can't.

He brushed off comparisons to bringing Randy Moss to New England in part because the Patriots at that time had a critical need (i.e. for a wide receiver). He doesn't seem to realize that the Patriots had a non-existent pass rush last season and have done nothing to address that critical need, yet, except for trading away Mike Vrabel (and signing Banta-Cain I guess).

My own take on all this is that Peppers' agent, and possibly the Patriots, are floating the idea of the Panthers trading Peppers for the Patriots' (Chiefs') 2nd round pick so that when the Patriots really trade their first-round pick for Peppers it will seem like the Panthers got a good deal. I think they are setting up low expectations for Panthers fans - otherwise, why are they talking about closing this deal sometime in the future?

Re: Adam Sheffter: Trade not going to happen

Ah man!! I had dreams last nite of our defense getting Peppers.

Hope this is not true.

i defnitely trust the sources schefter has over caruccis

Does Schefter have any sources or is he just applying his own reasoning to the situation?

The way I see things:

Schefter is smarter and better connected, but Carucci has somebody in Peppers' camp actually funneling him information.

So Schefter is basically repeating the same line of reasoning that we used in this forum, and not really adding anything that we didn't already know. Carruci's source can definitely add things that we don't already know.

(Or does he claim to have a source?)

Last edited:

Pats on Peppers's short list for trade - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I think Peppers wants to come to NE but NE isn't showing interest but by putting this information out there that he could be had for a second round pick that maybe the Patriots would be interested. He's never said he wanted a big money deal that was all speculation.

Pats on Peppers's short list for trade - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I think Peppers wants to come to NE but NE isn't showing interest but by putting this information out there that he could be had for a second round pick that maybe the Patriots would be interested. He's never said he wanted a big money deal that was all speculation.

Peppers is free to talk to the Patriots. He doesn't need to use this type of indirect communication. He agent probably knows that BB likes to keep things on the down low.

Better explanations include:

1. Somebody other than his agent is behind the leak. Certainly Reiss' source sounds like such a person.

2. Peppers is trying to put pressure on the Panthers. If they lose him and the fans think they could have gotten a high second for him, they look bad.

3. Peppers is trying to generate interest from teams other than the Patriots.

Last edited:

And what did he say??? Besides that why not??? THAT would be interesting to know why?? why not?? especially with all the others with so many making it a fait accompli
All the others are simply following the story of one guy: Carucci, and embellishing it with thier own brand of speculaiton. Carucci is pretty good, but when was the last time Shefter was wrong on a major personnel move? Was he ever?

oh bullcrap, How many times have I heard Schefter totally surprised by a deal.....literally dozens
Literally dozens? I'll call bullcrap on this one. I don't think you can give me a single example of a time when he was wrong about a major deal.

Sorry, the NFL is self-serving with its network with incestuous ties, but the result is that when SHefter says something, it is almost always right.

If it comes to a disagrement between NFL network and anyplace else, even NFL.COM, smart money goes with NFLN.

when was the last time Shefter was wrong on a major personnel move? Was he ever?

thejetsblog.com Adam Schefter Guess on Next Head Coach

Posted on January 8th said:
On the way to work I listened to Adam Schefter, who was in WEEI in Boston this morning. During the interview with the hosts John Dennis and Gerry Callahan, he said that he thinks that the next coach of the Jets will be one of two people. “I think that the next head coach for the Jets will be Brian Schottenheimer or Steve Spagnulo.”

Schefter is good with his sources. But he guesses wrong all the time.

And there isn't anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

Unless you count the multiple pre-draft media reports last year saying that the Pats would trade down to #10 and select the ILB from Tennessee. ;)
Wow, what reports were those? Got some links? I thought most of the mocks had us taking Rivers at 7.

Wow, what reports were those? Got some links? I thought most of the mocks had us taking Rivers at 7.
Michael Holley pretty much said what would happen a day or two before the draft. I don't remember a lot of Mayo talk until then.

i don't think the pats want this out there. maybe that's his source.

Schefter is the only solid source out there in my opinion, besides Reiss of course. He has good sources, especially with the pats and if he's pretty sure it's not happening then that's where it is right now. I dare all these people that say Schefter is wrong a lot or is surprised by signings to provide some proof please.

Fine by me. We dont need peppers. Who knows if he would even be productive in the 3-4. Rather save the money.

Curucci says on PFW right now that the patriots and Peppers' agent have definately had talks and that others sources in the Panthers would rather have the 2nd instead of the 1st because they don't want to pay for a first rounder this particular year.

Reading Gasper's (Reiss') blog:
Peppers's own comments last month that he wants to move to playing linebacker in a 3-4 defense. But it is important because the bottom line is that a player like Peppers, who has had the franchise tag slapped on him at $16.68 million, isn't going anywhere in a trade unless he wants to, and no team is going to acquire a player with that high a cap number that doesn't want to do a long-term deal.
It would seem like it would take more than the second-round pick (No. 34 overall pick) that the Patriots got from Kansas City for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to acquire a player of Peppers's caliber. However, if New England is Peppers's preferred destination Carolina's bargaining position might be weakened.

there's room for hope that,if the Pats want him badly enough and Gasper's source is on the real,something could happen around the draft or even during it (Randy says hi:D). I'm not counting Peppers completely out until the fat lady actually sings. Until then, he's still a radar blip. How fierce this would be:rocker:

I dare all these people that say Schefter is wrong a lot or is surprised by signings to provide some proof please.

There is a Schefter rumor on the first page of this message board that I am skeptical about.....Schefter says Cassel's agent didn't understand what signing the offer sheet meant....Maybe but I highly doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST