PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sheffter: Trade not going to happen

Honestly, I believe Schefter the most of of all of the reporters. When I hear him on WEEI, he has passion and integrity (at least, he conveys that he does!).

So, if this is his opinion, it is my opinion also.
Wow what a wimpy thing to say no offense. Have a mind of your own. Seems like Schefter has a little professional jealousy of Carucci.

Re: Adam Sheffter: Peppers trade not going to happen

If Adam says no I'm going to put my money down to back him. Also how would they be able to sign Wilfork? The only way I can see it happening is if the Patriots trade Seymour to the Panthers as part of the deal. This is 93's last year under his current contract and he is from South Carolina.

I think Jason Taylor is the more logical choice and affordable one.

Shefter is without a doubt the most reliable source there is when it comes to transactions. He has the track record to prove it!

If he says it isn't going to happen, then it isn't going to happen.
oh bullcrap, How many times have I heard Schefter totally surprised by a deal.....literally dozens

I don't think I've ever heard Peppers mention once that he's looking to break the bank, yet that's all I hear out of people. Schefter seems to be looking at this deal from a financial point of view, without considering that the Pats can sign him to a deal that's cap friendly in 08, while still making him a very high paid player over the contract.

If Schefter said he heard this from his sources that there are no trade talks, then I believe him though, since he's usually on the money. However, this seems to be his opinion, which he is entitled to. I think if this deal happens, it's a draft day deal, and probably involves the 34th pick, and another mid round pick as well. Carucci and Kirwan are also very reputable sources, so I do think something is in the works.

Perhaps the discussion could be advanced if someone who knows the payroll could offer a plausible scenario for how the Pats would free up the cap space to sign him. Personally, I cannot see it.

Here's my 2 cents on Schefter.

His clout (we believe) originates from knowing about things fed to him by NFL HQ. This includes things like knowing in advance when a deal will occur, presumably because some paperwork has been filed and in his position as NFL stooge he gets access to this information. This is the cornerstone of his credibility.

Nobody does anything with the NFL office when nothing is going to happen, therefore Schefter's inside "sources" have nothing to feed him. (btw, I read that last sentence a few times and I acknowledge that it's confusing, but I'm still not going to change it).

Schefter's no more reliable in this instance than Carucci. Though, if things were reversed and Schefter was telling us that it's a done deal, I'd bet the house on it.

-F
This is basically how I see Adam as well. He's always among the first to report new contracts, and is quite accurate on the terms. However, when it comes to stories like this Adam seems like just another reporter, and has been wrong a number of times.

Something tells me that if this were for real, the Pats wouldn't have gone out and bought 530 free agents after the Cassel trade.

I'm not even convinced the Pats wouldn't be better off grabbing a couple of true OLBs in the draft and taking their chances with a player or two who might cost them a million a year for five years. Would you rather have ten years of Sintim and English or three years of Peppers? I'm not sure.

I'm with you.

Re: Adam Sheffter: Trade not going to happen

Honestly, I believe Schefter the most of of all of the reporters. When I hear him on WEEI, he has passion and integrity (at least, he conveys that he does!).

Yes, there is good reason to believe Schefter, but it's not because he has integrity and passion or works at digging out information. It's because he's a PR shill for NFL Network and is spoon-fed info direct from the league office. He's not a "reporter" or a "journalist," but he slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night and does a great job impersonating one.

I think Jason Taylor is the more logical choice and affordable one.

Agreed. He would be a Seau-type hire.

Last edited:

It seems that Schefter (not Sheffter or Shefter) is almost always right when a signing or a trade is a done deal, but he misses the mark like everyone else when it comes to possible moves. Remember how confident he was at one point that Pioli would be the next GM of the Browns? On EEI this morning, he said that while #34 is reasonable compensation for Peppers, that the Patriots wouldn't be interested in the deal for a variety of reason. Fact: BB desperately needs another Lawrence Taylor-type playmaker off the edge. From his past comments (posted already), he seems to intimate that Peppers is one of the league's true difference-makers on defense. Think about the players about whom BB has gushed, about either pre or post-game, over the past few years - Colvin, Moss, Welker. You can tell when BB likes a player and when he REALLY likes a player. I think that Peppers is in the latter catagory.

Schefter can be used by teams like any reporter, if it serves that team's interests. Do we really know that his sources in this case are better than Kirwan's and/or Carucci's? There just seems to be too much smoke about the Pats and Peppers to dismiss the possibility with 99.9% certainty. I still think that this is going to happen, if Peppers is willing to take a "very good" but maybe not a "great/record" contract offer. BB plans things 2 steps ahead. They currently have no true replacement for Vrable. I don't think that BB would trade him without having a specific replacement in mind, or even already in place.

Shefter is without a doubt the most reliable source there is when it comes to transactions. He has the track record to prove it!

If he says it isn't going to happen, then it isn't going to happen.

When it comes to transactions occurring Schefter is without equal in his ability to pass that spoonfed info along to us. When it comes to transactions NOT occurring Schefter is on a level playing field with everyone else.

I'm not saying I think he's wrong about Peppers, just that the likelihood of him being right is no different than any other mediot.

It seems that Schefter (not Sheffter or Shefter) .... Vrable. ....

I'm not the only one to see the irony here, right?:p

Last edited:

Guilty, as charged.

I don't think I've ever heard Peppers mention once that he's looking to break the bank, yet that's all I hear out of people. Schefter seems to be looking at this deal from a financial point of view, without considering that the Pats can sign him to a deal that's cap friendly in 08, while still making him a very high paid player over the contract.

If Schefter said he heard this from his sources that there are no trade talks, then I believe him though, since he's usually on the money. However, this seems to be his opinion, which he is entitled to. I think if this deal happens, it's a draft day deal, and probably involves the 34th pick, and another mid round pick as well. Carucci and Kirwan are also very reputable sources, so I do think something is in the works.

:ditto: :agree: They could avoid the cap by making him an offer that is cap-friendly this year and not cap friendly in the uncapped year :D

They sure are running with this thing that is 99.99% not going to happen.

NFL Video Galleries

We may have multiple day 1 picks but other teams have those too. And they have cap space we lack. We're down to $7M or less in available cap with $5-6M earmarked for the rookies and players 52 & 53 and an injury cushion. We can possibly free up $4-5M with restructures or extensions. That's not enough to give Peppers a top 5 contract under the rules of an expiring CBA. And if we roll the dice much farther and it turns out the CBA gets extended, we could be really screwed heading into a capped future...

What rule whould that be saying he needs to be given a top 5 contract?

Want a plausible way to do it.(I am basing it on you need the full franchise tag to do it) Some people will blast me, but you can't get sentimental when it comes to cuts. Some Pats fans do.

Cap room $4,000,000
Matt Light Cut 3,872,280
Faulk Cut 3,121,720(you could also re-work a new deal with him)
Hobbs cut/trades 2,332,280
restrutures(your figure) 4,000,000

gives you 17,326,280
enough to get Peppers.
New deal for Peppers avg areound 9,000,000
leaves you with 7,800,000

Last edited:

I'm not the only one to see the irony here, right?:p

Ironing? what irony could that be we wonders, wee does........:cool:

Kirwan and Carucci are both thinking this deal happens. Shefter doesn't.

Shefter is a clout guy, but he's not ALWAYS right. If he's reasoning it away, don't get too invested in it. If he's saying he's heard it from a source, he's your guy.

Youre all over it with this opinion. Schefter is our guy, 9 times out of 10. But if he doesnt have sources, he's basically no different than you and me.

Want a plausible way to do it.(I am basing it on you need the full franchise tag to do it) Some people will blast me, but you can't get sentimental when it comes to cuts. Some Pats fans do.

Sentimentality and bat**** insanity are completely different things. Cutting your most important RB, your starting LT, and your best CB to fit in a guy who's never played OLB? That's the latter, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back