PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sheffter: Peppers trade not going to happen

I am not a huge fan of the trade just because of the cost of signing Peppers vs. the risk of him transfering positions. But Schefter is not the end all and be all on whether this trade will happen. Carrucci may actually have real and solid information that Schefter isn't privvy to. Schefter is well connected in the NFL, but so is Carrucci.

The one thing that really bothered me about that Carucci story is that he goes on to detail the entire off-season plan and that the Pats are targeting Maualuga in the draft. It's just hard for me to believe when a guy reports something like that so definitively. Nobody has ever figured out who the Patriots are interested in the draft.

So I'm quite inclined to believe Schefter on this. Could it be that the Patriots are spreading this rumor to bring down Jason Taylor's price tag?

Too bad, getting Peppers excites me - that said, Taylor is still my preferred option as he doesn't cost anything in draft choices. Plus we have some young OLB who hopefully will develop which could make Taylor's age less of an issue.

Just tell me he didn't say that the Seward deal is dead.

The one thing that really bothered me about that Carucci story is that he goes on to detail the entire off-season plan and that the Pats are targeting Maualuga in the draft. It's just hard for me to believe when a guy reports something like that so definitively. Nobody has ever figured out who the Patriots are interested in the draft.

Unless you count the multiple pre-draft media reports last year saying that the Pats would trade down to #10 and select the ILB from Tennessee. ;)

he sounded uninformed...he believes peppers will stay with the panthers. hard to imagine, with how little cap space they have and how few picks. doesnt even mention that 2010 may be a zero capped year. if there wasnt that possibility, we wouldnt even be discussing peppers here.

he doesnt even mention that the pats are 1 of the few teams that have many draft picks . he suggests the pats are not one of the teams in the NFl that have a lot of money. wrong!

he may be right that Pats dont get peppers...but his reasoning was not convincing.

he was much less convincing then many posters here, who say pats wont get him

We may have multiple day 1 picks but other teams have those too. And they have cap space we lack. We're down to $7M or less in available cap with $5-6M earmarked for the rookies and players 52 & 53 and an injury cushion. We can possibly free up $4-5M with restructures or extensions. That's not enough to give Peppers a top 5 contract under the rules of an expiring CBA. And if we roll the dice much farther and it turns out the CBA gets extended, we could be really screwed heading into a capped future...

Kirwan and Carucci are both thinking this deal happens. Shefter doesn't.

Shefter is a clout guy, but he's not ALWAYS right. If he's reasoning it away, don't get too invested in it. If he's saying he's heard it from a source, he's your guy.

Unless you count the multiple pre-draft media reports last year saying that the Pats would trade down to #10 and select the ILB from Tennessee. ;)

Yeah, but those were less than a week before the draft and reported by a couple of Belichick protogees... Our draft board isn't even set yet.

I think schefter is thinking logically. with that i mean he's looking at our cap space and the possibility to work with as few cap space as we have. Carucci however is pretty certain about it and probably knows something Schefter doesn't know. So don't rule out a big cut or trade by the Pats to free up Cap space, to make this move happen.
in that case Carucci is right about the Peppers move, and Schefter is right that the cap is too tight and in order to get it done, they would have to cut or trade someone.

I am not a huge fan of the trade just because of the cost of signing Peppers vs. the risk of him transfering positions. But Schefter is not the end all and be all on whether this trade will happen. Carrucci may actually have real and solid information that Schefter isn't privvy to. Schefter is well connected in the NFL, but so is Carrucci.

Vic set himself up with the pre FA storyline that NE would make a hard run at Peppers. Since then they have signed everyone but the kitchen sink with the cap money they freed up in the Cassel/Vrabel deal that was predicted to be earmarked for Peppers...

Just tell me he didn't say that the Seward deal is dead.

It's against the laws of physics (in this universe) for the Seward deal to not remain a possibility.

Shefter is a clout guy, but he's not ALWAYS right. If he's reasoning it away, don't get too invested in it. If he's saying he's heard it from a source, he's your guy.

Good point. He seems to be insinuating that he's checked in with his Patriots and Panthers people and can't figure out how Carucci was informed - so I guess it's debatable whether he's talking with his opinion or the opinion of his sources.

It is fun to see ESPN playing follow the headline here, same as us, since we all know that New England pretty much won't give them the time of day - even though we obviously don't know who leaked the info about a potential deal.

Adam Sheffter to Carolina GM: "Can you confirm the story out there having Peppers being swapped to New England?"

Carolina GM: "Adam, you know it's against the bargaining agreement for us to even go down that road!..."

Adam Sheffter to Patriot Coach Bill Belichick: "Can you confirm ESPN.com reporting heated trade talks regarding Julius Peppers possibly being a new Patriot?"

Bill Belichick: ".......................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................."
Adam Sheffter: "Bill, are you there.......Bill, do we have a bad connection..........Bill...............Hello..................................Click..."

Adam Sheffter to Carolina GM: "Can you confirm the story out there having Peppers being swapped to New England?"

Carolina GM: "Adam, you know it's against the bargaining agreement for us to even go down that road!..."

Adam Sheffter to Patriot Coach Bill Belichick: "Can you confirm ESPN.com reporting heated trade talks regarding Julius Peppers possibly being a new Patriot?"

Bill Belichick: ".......................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................."
Adam Sheffter: "Bill, are you there.......Bill, do we have a bad connection..........Bill...............Hello..................................Click..."

I must admit that's pretty funny and probably quite accurate. However, I doubt this would lead Schefter to declare with 99.9% certainty that the deal won't happen - which is what he said.

We may have multiple day 1 picks but other teams have those too...

Peppers will only permit trades to Wash, Philly, Dallas or N.E. So other teams with multiple picks (of which Philly is certainly one) is a pretty exclusive group and limits Carolina's options.

if anyone can shift a player into a OLB/DE it's BILL BELICHICK!:cool:

Here's my 2 cents on Schefter.

His clout (we believe) originates from knowing about things fed to him by NFL HQ. This includes things like knowing in advance when a deal will occur, presumably because some paperwork has been filed and in his position as NFL stooge he gets access to this information. This is the cornerstone of his credibility.

Nobody does anything with the NFL office when nothing is going to happen, therefore Schefter's inside "sources" have nothing to feed him. (btw, I read that last sentence a few times and I acknowledge that it's confusing, but I'm still not going to change it).

Schefter's no more reliable in this instance than Carucci. Though, if things were reversed and Schefter was telling us that it's a done deal, I'd bet the house on it.

-F

Last edited:

Crap.
I posted I was skeptical in the "trade rumor thread" but I hoped I was wrong :mad:

Something tells me that if this were for real, the Pats wouldn't have gone out and bought 530 free agents after the Cassel trade.

I'm not even convinced the Pats wouldn't be better off grabbing a couple of true OLBs in the draft and taking their chances with a player or two who might cost them a million a year for five years. Would you rather have ten years of Sintim and English or three years of Peppers? I'm not sure.

not going to happen. Peppers would cost to much and change the Patriots pay scale.

Shefter is without a doubt the most reliable source there is when it comes to transactions. He has the track record to prove it!

If he says it isn't going to happen, then it isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye