PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the deal will work. Schefter's points make too much sense. I always thought that Jason Taylor was the real target before I was distracted by the Peppers' news. To sign Peppers to a big contract makes no sense as it would cause too much damage with Seymour's and Wilfork's contracts ending next year. Too much internal downside on that one.

Now signing Jason Taylor makes some major sense. In addition, our pile of early draft picks is treasure enough. One or two of them will be pushed into next year, but we're hoarding gold with those picks.

I doubt the deal will work. Schefter's points make too much sense. I always thought that Jason Taylor was the real target before I was distracted by the Peppers' news. To sign Peppers to a big contract makes no sense as it would cause too much damage with Seymour's and Wilfork's contracts ending next year. Too much internal downside on that one.

Now signing Jason Taylor makes some major sense. In addition, our pile of early draft picks is treasure enough. One or two of them will be pushed into next year, but we're hoarding gold with those picks.

At this point it just comes down to whether J. Taylor has some giddy-up left the tank, or whether his days as a feared pass rusher are over. I think Taylor's done. If so, say sayonara to Seymour and hello to Peppers.

Taylor would be the logical choice but BB thrives on shocking the NFL world. Something is brewing here maybe not with Peppers but something is coming I can feel it

There is no way in hell the Patriots will pay the 17.6 mil for Peppers!! Peppers is not worth 17.6 if he is transitioning to OLB!! As soon as Peppers said he wanted to play OLB in the 3-4 his value dropped because he has no experience at OLB. So maybe (just speculation) we can get him for a lot cheaper and that is what i think(again speculation) why BB would possibly make a jump for Peppers!!

There is no way in hell the Patriots will pay the 17.6 mil for Peppers!! Peppers is not worth 17.6 if he is transitioning to OLB!! As soon as Peppers said he wanted to play OLB in the 3-4 his value dropped because he has no experience at OLB. So maybe (just speculation) we can get him for a lot cheaper and that is what i think(again speculation) why BB would possibly make a jump for Peppers!!

I don't think anyone expects us to pay him that much for one year.

:deadhorse:

Re: Adam Sheffter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Its nice to dream, and him being on our team would have been incredible, butwhat Adam Scheff says is usually the truth. Its time to wake up and remember that his cap hit, even for a long term would be ridiculously high and we dont have the room for that.

What do you consider "ridiculously high"???

This is what annoys me about the people who are dismissive of this trade. Look at comparable contracts. Look at Haynesworth's contract. Peppers isn't going to be making as much as some think. Especially when you consider the fact that he's bound to the select few teams that actually have the ammo to trade for him.

The only thing I trusted was Gasper/Reiss' snippet stating that JP had NE on his short list.There's NO reason not to believe that statement and I'm sure there're a lot of NFL players who feel the same way.

As far as "news" is concerned, Schefter's just another speculator along with Curran et al and seriously I don't understand why people keep drooling all over every word any one of them says :confused: It's beyond ridiculous if you've followed anything at all regarding what the media's predicted vs what's actually been done.

BB has an interest in JP (like who wouldn't) and the feeling's mutual. Beyond that it remains to be seen what actually happens but one thing's for sure- it will be written/speculated about and no doubt everyone will have a "source".

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that we acquire JP, but following every single media opinion is an excercise in futility imho. The debate on this forum is more credible than any of those "sources" that seem to be so prevalent lately. But then, my opinions on our media have been expressed many times;)

Not too many Belichicklets around and I'm glad. I love the way this team manages the media:rocker:

Re: Adam Sheffter: Peppers trade not going to happen

Shefter is without a doubt the most reliable source there is when it comes to transactions. He has the track record to prove it!

If he says it isn't going to happen, then it isn't going to happen.

The optimistic view here is that Shefter isn't quoting sources who say it won't happen, he's just DEDUCING it won't happen soon. Meanwhile Carucci apparently had sources tell him it will.

From what I've heard of Shefter's interview, he explained why there might not be cap room right now, why the Pats aren't ready to do this today. Could the Pats maybe have plans to restructure a couple deals in the next month, and be ready to sign Peppers in a month or so? Couldn't what Shefter said be true, and this still happen? Wouldn't Shefter's argument change drastically if Peppers DID sign his franchise tender with Carolina? (after coming to a verbal agreement with the Patriots)

A rules question

There must be a rule against this, but couldn't we give Peppers a $40m signing bonus on a 10-year contract, making the cap hit little more than $4m per year? We'd be saying "Here, we'll make you rich today, and then you can play for like 4 more years and retire."

Re: A rules question

There must be a rule against this, but couldn't we give Peppers a $40m signing bonus on a 10-year contract, making the cap hit little more than $4m per year? We'd be saying "Here, we'll make you rich today, and then you can play for like 4 more years and retire."

haha...yeah, I think they've pretty much locked that kind of abuse down.
I believe all that stuff after 2012 gets accelerated.

edit: in anaother thread I kind of asked the same question, though, w/just some different contract details.

I think it's in the 'can we afford peppers' or whatever thread.

Last edited:
Re: A rules question

Bonuses can only be prorated over five years heading into an uncapped season. I think the usual maximum is six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News